Wow... a Responsive DME!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kiralynx

Wow... a Responsive DME!

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:10 pm

I think I need to sit down.

I'm in shock.

After 5.5 years of dealing with Apria, who fought me over which nasal pillows I could order, fought me over mask straps, fought me over whether or not I could order a particular mask, couldn't get anything to me in under "7-10 working days," couldn't fill orders accurately, and on, and on, and on...

...I changed DMEs. I called my insurance, explained to them that Apria's (dis)service was unacceptable, and I refused to give them my business when I purchased my new 960 (Bipsp ASV).

They gave me the name of a local company. I called them. Not only did the RT on duty remember me (and I've only bought a few things from them heretofore) and what machine I had, he remembered my name!

They told me what I needed to bring in -- and I did. The next Friday, they called and apologized that they would have to reschedule my appointment (for the next day) to Monday because FedEx hadn't delivered my machine. Unfortunately, a 960 wasn't something they normally had in stock, and they'd had to order it. (My machine did arrive on Monday, and I had no hassle getting it.)

Well, the RT called today to see how I was managing with the machine, and I told her, and asked about getting a new mask while I was at it. She said she'd check with customer service on it.

TEN MINUTES LATER, the DME CSR called me back. Yes, they have my mask in stock. Yes, they can charge my insurance for it. Did I want to come pick it up, or did I want them to mail it to me?

Well, I was startled, and said, uhm, I won't be over there until Tuesday.... to which she said, "Then you'll get it faster if I just drop it in the mail this afternoon. By the way, this requires some fitting. Do you know how to do that, or do you need to schedule a fitting?"

I said that the Tap Pap was the mask I was currently using, and she said, "Oh, then, you'll have already sorted out all the details on it to make it work for you... but if you have any difficulties, just let us know!"

I said I would, she wished me a pleasant afternoon, and we hung up.

Wow. Getting a new mask without spending two hours on the phone, and spending half my time patiently explaining, over, and over, and over that the part number I want is XXXXXX, and no, I do not want to give them my credit card number in case the insurance doesn't cover it, and no, I am not interested in just ordering a Swift FX, I want a XXXXXX....

Just.... WOW.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Wow... a Responsive DME!

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:21 pm

I am so happy for you!

ems

Post by ems » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Congrats... it's nice to hear something nice about a DME for a change!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Congrats! I have the same relationship with my DME Medsource. I used to be with Lincare . Quite frankly they were awful. Went back to Medsource very happy. Whatever I need they have. And they care

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Kiralynx,

That's fantastic! I'm in the process of switching to a local DME, Louisville O2, they were recommended by another forum member in my area & so far, I'm getting great service too. Now if I can just get my Dr. to fax the stuff they need. His office is not known for efficiency, so that's going to take a few days.

I'm so happy for you.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:25 pm

My top ten responses to your story:

10. That kind of story could really taint the reputation of the other several thousand DMEs out there!

9. Maybe it's a trick, and the NSA has installed listening devices in all her equipment.

8. I hope the other DMEs don't read that and go throw a brick through the good DME's window.

7. Kiralynx must have typed that dream out in her sleep and will retract the story when she wakes up.

6. Apria may have a missile aimed at that DME from one of its Apria drones even as we speak.

5. I'm jealous.

4. Must be a substitute RT filling in for the real one that will be back in a few weeks.

3. That company actually deserves to be named on the Internet, and if they have an email, I might just send a good word to them myself--they deserve it.

2. Maybe this will catch on with other DMEs and then soon. . . eh, who am I kidding, nah.

1. Kiralynx deserves that kind of good experience. I'm happy for her. Glad she sticks around. It's nice to read a good story now and then like that one.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:13 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I am so happy for you!
I'm still in shock!

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:15 pm

ems wrote::shock: Congrats... it's nice to hear something nice about a DME for a change!
Well, Sturgeon's Law says 99% of Everything is (deleted).

It follows that the 1% has to be out there somewhere, if we can just find them.... and give them our business!

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Sclark08 wrote:Congrats! I have the same relationship with my DME Medsource. I used to be with Lincare . Quite frankly they were awful. Went back to Medsource very happy. Whatever I need they have. And they care
Congratulations! I haven't heard as much bad about Lincare as Apria, but a non-caring DME, as we all know, is a horror.

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:20 pm

jencat824 wrote: That's fantastic! I'm in the process of switching to a local DME, Louisville O2, they were recommended by another forum member in my area & so far, I'm getting great service too. Now if I can just get my Dr. to fax the stuff they need. His office is not known for efficiency, so that's going to take a few days. I'm so happy for you.

Jen,

Hey, good for you to be getting there, too!

A pity you can't get the service for your BIL, too!

If more of us could vote with our feet....!

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:38 pm

jnk wrote:My top ten responses to your story:

10. That kind of story could really taint the reputation of the other several thousand DMEs out there!
Do they deserve it? A frightening thought, isn't it? A DME with REAL customer service?
jnk wrote:9. Maybe it's a trick, and the NSA has installed listening devices in all her equipment.
Oh, they're probably already have them installed. I've written my Senators and Congresscritter so often about the TSA and other subjects, I'm likely on a list somewhere.
jnk wrote:8. I hope the other DMEs don't read that and go throw a brick through the good DME's window.
Well, I admit that I hesitated about actually naming them for that reason.
jnk wrote:7. Kiralynx must have typed that dream out in her sleep and will retract the story when she wakes up.
Well, Master Harper (black and tan longhaired Dachshund) just poked me with his nose, so I think I might be awake.
jnk wrote:6. Apria may have a missile aimed at that DME from one of its Apria drones even as we speak.
See #8.
jnk wrote:5. I'm jealous.
Any chance you could talk to your insurance?
jnk wrote:4. Must be a substitute RT filling in for the real one that will be back in a few weeks.
Actually, I've talked to two different RTs and they were BOTH nice. Plus, they have an RT on duty 24/7 and encourage you to call if there's a problem.
jnk wrote:3. That company actually deserves to be named on the Internet, and if they have an email, I might just send a good word to them myself--they deserve it.
Access Respiratory
4031 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie, LA 70002
jnk wrote:2. Maybe this will catch on with other DMEs and then soon. . . eh, who am I kidding, nah.
Hey, if we're gonna dream big, we might as well dream really BIG!
jnk wrote:1. Kiralynx deserves that kind of good experience. I'm happy for her. Glad she sticks around. It's nice to read a good story now and then like that one.
Thank you -- this place made it possible for me to make a success of my therapy... and that has made all the difference in the world in my health these days! So blessings to the good and helpful folk of CPAPTalk!

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:30 pm

jencat824 said
That's fantastic! I'm in the process of switching to a local DME, Louisville O2, they were recommended by another forum member in my area & so far, I'm getting great service too. Now if I can just get my Dr. to fax the stuff they need. His office is not known for efficiency, so that's going to take a few days.
I'm glad that Louisville O2 is treating you well. They have recently modified their system for better service, and I think they have done a good job. When I order replacement supplies, I receive them via FedEx the next day!

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:42 pm

Doing a Happy Dance for you Kiralynx!

A good DME really makes a huge difference doesn't it?

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:31 pm

robysue wrote:Doing a Happy Dance for you Kiralynx!

A good DME really makes a huge difference doesn't it?
Oh, it does, it DOES! I mean, really -- when you put off ordering needed supplies because you know it will end with you madder-n-hops and with a screaming headache because the D@mnFoolIdjits can't listen, type, or pack a box, it's just plain nuts.

I so hope others can find similarly excellent DMEs!

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Lazer1234

Post by Lazer1234 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:56 am

jnk wrote:
3. That company actually deserves to be named on the Internet, and if they have an email, I might just send a good word to them myself--they deserve it.

beau@accessrespiratory.com

Everything I write I translate through Google Translate.
Hope you have patience with that, sometimes it can get a little crazy.
/Lazer1234