Biotene Gel - Help!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
avi123

Re: Biotene Gel - Help!!!

Post by avi123 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:50 pm

if Oragel is like OraMoist then it is a patch that is supposed to adhere to the roof of your mouth or to the inside of your cheek. But then the CPAP air- flow could dislodge it and then you could inhale it into your lungs. I tried to tie the OraMoist Patch with a thread with one end tied to the patch and the other end coming out my mouth and anchored to the mask's frame. I found it to be too complex. So I am back to faucet water mouth rinse twice a night. The same problem could happened with Biotene oralbalance moisturizer that is applied onto the tongue and then this layer could be dragged into the lungs. VVV, if this happened to you and the oralbalance gel ended in your lungs and you needed to be rushed to the ER to remove the Gel from your lungs then you could not sue Lacelede, Inc b/c the directions on the package does not say that it is OK to use it while CPAPing.

Last edited by avi123 on Fri May 23, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

VVV

Post by VVV » Fri May 23, 2014 3:44 pm

^SMH.
.....................................V

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri May 23, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I'll pass them on to my husband. He won't take enough pain med for a good night's sleep, most nights, because he hates the dry mouth.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

minnie

Post by minnie » Sat May 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Thankyou . I have just been reading through your posts . I too have used Biotene gel . and I thought I was mistaken about the viscosity of it but seems I was right. which would account for my sleep being disturbed by dry mouth . and an increase in Aponeas.. . thankyou all for your input

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Sun May 25, 2014 1:47 am

omg avi you are so full of bull poop.

Next you'll be telling me that ingrown toenails are caused by cpap use

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun May 25, 2014 12:56 pm

I tried some Biotene gel moisturizer last night because that was all that was available at our two local drug stores. Used as directed, it worked for about 5 hrs - that is until I woke up to pee. I then applied a small dab more so I could get a few more hours sleep. If I had to quantify the level of my mouth moistness after the fifth hour, I'd say it was about half of what would be my normal/ideal mouth moisture. Not too bad because my mouth had enough moisture to not be scratchy... however, if I could find something that lasted all night, that would be a lot better since a middle-of-the-night application doesn't tend to promote sleep

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:53 pm

If anyone wants a more permanent solution there is a prescription drug, Evoxac (which is now available in a generic form). It increases saliva production. My rheumatologist suggested that I try it and it works quite well for me. Downside is that as a RX it has the usual long list of side effects. For me I'm already on so much stuff, I say what's one more? I was having dental caveties due to dry mouth & that stopped. I no longer wake up with a dry mouth either.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:55 pm

deleted post - OOPS I posted twice! Sorry

Last edited by jencat824 on Mon May 26, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Mon May 26, 2014 4:13 am

I used my gel for the first time in a couple of months last night, urghh I had that definite 'burn' feel which I never had before (or I didn't notice). Very annoying. Will have research different brands available in Australia

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon May 26, 2014 10:33 am

mgaggie wrote:I used my gel for the first time in a couple of months last night, urghh I had that definite 'burn' feel which I never had before (or I didn't notice). Very annoying. Will have research different brands available in Australia
Mgaggle: Was that the Orajel or the Biotene gel you used
jencat824 wrote:If anyone wants a more permanent solution there is a prescription drug, Evoxac (which is now available in a generic form). It increases saliva production. My rheumatologist suggested that I try it and it works quite well for me. Downside is that as a RX it has the usual long list of side effects. For me I'm already on so much stuff, I say what's one more? I was having dental caveties due to dry mouth & that stopped. I no longer wake up with a dry mouth either. Jen
Jencat: Thanks for the heads-up on the Rx drug which supposedly eliminates dry mouth. You're right about dreading those long lists of symptoms, but we do know for certain that dry mouth isn't good for one's teeth, gums or inner mouth tissues

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon May 26, 2014 11:52 am

jencat824 wrote:If anyone wants a more permanent solution there is a prescription drug, Evoxac (which is now available in a generic form). It increases saliva production. My rheumatologist suggested that I try it and it works quite well for me. Downside is that as a RX it has the usual long list of side effects. For me I'm already on so much stuff, I say what's one more? I was having dental caveties due to dry mouth & that stopped. I no longer wake up with a dry mouth either.

Jen
If I understand VVV's problem correctly, he gets dry mouth only at night from mouthbreathing while using CPAP. His mouth is not dry during the day and his saliva production is not deficient. In such a case, it would be inappropriate to take a drug to increase saliva production above the normal level. The extra saliva could easily be evaporated and the problem is not solved. And, as you point out, you may have undesired side effects with the drug.

VVV, thanks for finding Orajel. I have also ordered a couple of tubes to see if it satisfactorily replaces the original formula Biotene gel.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Tue May 27, 2014 5:02 am

Sir it was the Biotene gel

Nozzelnut

Post by Nozzelnut » Fri May 30, 2014 6:50 pm

So the Oragel gel got here a couple days ago. I've used it 3 nights.

It's very thick; like toothpaste. Takes a little bit to swish it around and evenly coat my mouth. Seems to last a lot longer than the rinse and slightly longer than the spray, but for me it doesn't last all night. However, my mouth doesn't feel completely dry in the morning; just a little dry. I'm not sure I'd give it 5 stars, but it's better than the rinse and the spray.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri May 30, 2014 8:01 pm

mgaggie wrote:Sir it was the Biotene gel
Hmmm. I'm currently using the same Biotene oral gel and don't get any burning sensation - of course it's quite reasonable for other folks to have different reactions. I'm going to order and try the Orajel mouth moisturizing product mentioned above, the Biotene gel is okay for 4-5 hrs, however that's about it.

BTW, has anybody heard back from BIOXTRA about their proffered free moisturizing product samples requested by email or phone. I haven't heard a squeak from them. LATER NOTE: I suppose 'down-under' Biotene products might have their own formulations.

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Sat May 31, 2014 3:09 am

I will be trying the biotene again soon (maybe even tonight) could of been a one off situation (I hope)