What Did You Do Before This Forum?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: What Did You Do Before This Forum?

Post by Goofproof » Mon May 19, 2014 11:15 pm

I lucked out, my sleep dr. Set me up with a full data cpap, not that he knew what that was. I took to it like a duck to water, mainly because to not was a death sentence.

I found this site while looking for the software and reader I needed, I found the help I needed to tweek my treatment, and a few friends too. I bought a second cpap from the owners of this forum, in reserve, it's still new! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue May 20, 2014 1:29 am

Drowsy Dancer wrote:I count myself as very, very fortunate to have found this forum on only my third or fourth day of treatment. I'll take some credit for being smart enough to look for it.

I was also very, very lucky that my DME had sent me home three or four days earlier with a fully-data capable machine rather than the brick that I would have dutifully accepted at the time. That was just dumb luck.

Pretty much the same for me too. My doctor likes to look at the data and uses ResScan, so he prescribes a Resmed S9 autoset to everybody. He also has sleep apnea himself, so he is more invested in how people succeed than many doctors. So, it was dumb luck that I was referred to a great doctor.

I found the forum the same day I picked up my machine. I was searching online to see of there were any cabinets or shelves designed to hold a cpap machine, and I came across this forum. I learned right away about the data and software, and I was hooked. I still learn new things all the time, some helpful to me, and some that I can pass along to others. And I like to help others get the help they need like I did. It is nice to chat with others who totally get the issues the deal with, and it is great to be able to help new people succeed. So, it is worth sticking around. I think it also helps me keep on track when I have a rough night or rough week. I am reminded every day that I need to keep at it. I can't believe it has been two years already. I still have struggles, but I still feel a ton better than I did before cpap.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue May 20, 2014 2:03 am

I was on CPAP for several months before finding this site. I was searching out of desperation as the one thing that had given me hope of saving my health and my career was this treatment, yet everything about me took a nosedive after starting CPAP. My doctor at that time was no help. I had got to the point of quitting CPAP when what had been dreams of choking, drowning and suffocation turned much more ominous. I was afraid to sleep with the machine and afraid to sleep without it. Stayed up most of three days and nights. Started out with this site in chat. I told the folks in chat my sleep pattern was to fall asleep instantly, then to wake up suffocating just minutes later - over and over again all night long. I'd generally turn the machine off, unmask, go to the potty, and regroup to start over. The doctor had told me any time I woke up to just hit the ramp and start over. The good folks in chat suggested I increase my ramp pressure and shorten my ramp time. It was like a light bulb came on for me. My habit of hitting the ramp every few minutes was condemning me to trying to sleep at a pressure of 4 most of the night. No wonder I was deteriorating! That one change began my turnaround with CPAP. Still had major sleep issues because of severe limb movements, but at least when I did sleep I got the oxygen I needed and my body was not flooded with stress hormones. Even though this is a CPAP site. some members were knowledgeable about Periodic Limb Movement Disorder and proved helpful and encouraging as I figured out how to self treat after the doctor's efforts didn't work out well for me. I'm not generally one for a lot of melodrama, but it is no exaggeration to say I believe the help I received here saved my life.

DEXSUZ

Post by DEXSUZ » Tue May 20, 2014 7:03 am

In January of 2013 I had a wonderful sleep study and quickly obtained my CPAP gear. The first few nights, however, quickly proceeded to become disasters. After comparing notes with a fellow baseball buddy/CPAP user, I took to this forum. In the last 500 days I've received an incredible amount of help, information, and encouragement.

My only complaint would be the almost slavish statistical worship many people bring to the forum. Science has its place but at this pedestrian level, the only thing we're all after is a positive answer to the daily question of, "Did I have a good sleep last night?". It's kind of like watching one's favorite sports team and getting lost amid the fact that they hit tons of homers, have low ERAS, and the fielders make few errors but that the team loses a lot of games. All the glossy numbers in the world don't make a rat's a** of a difference if the one goal of a sporting event isn't achieved. It's the same with CPAP usage.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:21 am

DEXSUZ wrote:
My only complaint would be the almost slavish statistical worship many people bring to the forum. Science has its place but at this pedestrian level, the only thing we're all after is a positive answer to the daily question of, "Did I have a good sleep last night?". It's kind of like watching one's favorite sports team and getting lost amid the fact that they hit tons of homers, have low ERAS, and the fielders make few errors but that the team loses a lot of games. All the glossy numbers in the world don't make a rat's a** of a difference if the one goal of a sporting event isn't achieved. It's the same with CPAP usage.
This 'slavish statistical worship' as you call it helped identify my problem & helped me to correct that problem. Without that data I would still be using the wrong mask, still be mouth breathing and still feeling bad.

Without this usage of our data, we could not optimize our treatment. I am quite happy to be a slave to those statistics, it has done much more for me than any of my sleep physicians & DME's combined.

Jen

Last edited by jencat824 on Tue May 20, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

DoninOrlando

Post by DoninOrlando » Tue May 20, 2014 11:03 am

I would not have stayed on Cpap without this forum. I discovered it shortly after starting about 5 years ago. I wish I had discovered it before my sleep study and diagnosis. I would have had a much better start knowing what to look for, ask for, and expect. I learned a lot by having issues, and coming here to solve them. But if one knew to study this board before the journey begins so many issues are easily avoided, especially dealing with doctors and DME's. Although I rarely post anymore, I read this forum often and still learn a lot. Pugsy especially has been a huge help to me. Her advice to others has solved several of my issues and helped improve my therapy and results drastically. She should be giving classes somewhere, perhaps to doctors

Orlando FL
Started CPAP 10-23-2009
Been using PRS-One Auto for 11 years, recalled :(
09/20/21 starting new Airsense 10 Autoset, Mirage Quattro FFM
Settings: Auto 18-20

oldie

Post by oldie » Tue May 20, 2014 2:05 pm

Been on cpap a long while. I was on another more restrictive forum...not as good and free as this one. Learned a lot more here and folks are generally nicer. I'm staying, but still just 'lurking'. My style.

DDD

Post by DDD » Tue May 20, 2014 4:29 pm

Before this forum I felt alone and unsure of my future.
Everyone’s helpful information and kindness has improved my health outlook for the better.
Thanks
Dennis

echo

Post by echo » Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 pm

jencat824 wrote:
DEXSUZ wrote:
My only complaint would be the almost slavish statistical worship many people bring to the forum.
This 'slavish statistical worship' as you call it helped identify my problem & helped me to correct that problems. Without that data I would still be using the wrong mask, still be mouth breathing and still feeling bad.

Without this usage of our data, we could not optimize our treatment. I am quite happy to be a slave to those statistics, it has done much more for me than any of my sleep physicians & DME's combined.

Jen
+1 Jen!

Without this forum, I would have been stuck with a brick, on 3.5 cm (!!) pressure too low, still mouth breathing, and wouldn't even have a humidifier!! Plus my hose would be dragging my mask off every night (I hang it from the ceiling).

*Everything* I needed to be successful with CPAP I learned here. This isn't about "obsessing," it's about optimizing cpap so that *it can do its job properly.* My doctor didn't help one bit, so without the forum I literally wouldn't have gotten a single second of therapy despite using the cpap every night.

Luckily I found the forum before I had my titration study. Can't even remember what search I did when I ran across this site, but I will be eternally grateful to Johnny & all the great folks here. <3
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Sat May 24, 2014 9:36 pm

I put my first CPAP in the closet in the 90's for a few years to collect dust, then I gave it away to someone else needing it when I was moving out of state. I was prescribed CPAP in the 90's, but didn't have anywhere I could get info about the problems I was having. The machine was a Sullivan machine & was not auto, and the masks were not comfortable at all- we had very slim pickings to choose from back then. The machine sounded like a jet airplane in the bedroom when I fired it up,& kept me & my hubby awake, and the mask gave me a headache or a cold wet nose that aggravated my allergies. The Dr suggested a pass-over heated humidifier that I got, & it & the CPAP took up space of my whole nightstand. I would wake up with the mask on the floor in the middle of the night, or if I had it on still, I had a killer headache & a wet itchy nose. I decided if I was going to die without it, I would just die then, but at least I would be able to sleep comfortably in the mean-time, until my OSA killed me; and we could sleep as long as I didn't use it. I was young and foolish then, now as I age I am terrified of stroke and being a paralyzed vegetable that my hubby would have to care for. In the 90's I didn't wake up in the night feeling like I was smothering like I do now if I forget to put it back on after a midnite trip to the bathroom. Now I can't sleep without it but it is from years of using this forum that I conquered the problems. This forum has saved my life.

Many thanks, Mr & Mrs Goodman!

Pressure 6-10 cm

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Sun May 25, 2014 4:25 am

Before this forum I was on The Other Forum.
You Kids Have Fun!!