Doc told me most people aren't interested in data

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepstar

Re: Doc told me most people aren't interested in data

Post by sleepstar » Thu May 28, 2015 7:04 am

49er wrote:
sleepstar wrote:I do explain about the data. And I will explain how their data compares to their sleep study and their previous usage. However,the overwhelming majority of people do not want to know about their data. I've literally had them say that to me. I've also had them "buy bricks" by their request. I explain that the machine will not record data, only hours used, and they will often say "I don't need the data" or "is the data needed now? It's $100 less without it right?".

I would be lying if I said that yes, it's essential you have It.
I am curious as to the reason why you would say that. Not playing gotcha as an FYI.

Even if medical care is "free" in the UK, if someone is having trouble with pap therapy and only a sleep study will provide the answer due to not having a data capable machine, it might be awhile before they had an answer vs. being able to look at the data right away. Of course, if someone can't afford to spend the extra $100, that might not matter but still, I am curious.

49er
Where I am, patients can use an automatic machine temporarily to find out their ideal pressure if they do have trouble with therapy. Their machine can then be adjusted.

Obviously, this would change depending on location. Having data would be very beneficial for those in rural areas who cannot attend appointments.

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu May 28, 2015 7:10 am

sleepstar wrote: . . . Where I am, patients can use an automatic machine temporarily to find out their ideal pressure if they do have trouble with therapy. Their machine can then be adjusted. . . .
I consider that a very reasonable approach, myself.

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Thu May 28, 2015 7:20 am

sleepstar wrote:However,the overwhelming majority of people do not want to know about their data.
Speaking of knowing the data, my doctor won't get on the scales because of what he would see and what he could not see (his toes).