Take a sleeping pill or not on test night?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Stevoreno_55

Take a sleeping pill or not on test night?

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Earlier today I received word from my insurance company that my 2 night sleep study had been approved. I'm scheduled to report to the lab on May 21st for the first night and a week or so later for the second night. It's been almost 7 years since my last study and back then I asked the tech at that lab if I could take something to help me go to sleep; the tech told me no so I didn't. I plan to take something with me when I report to this new lab on May 21st and I will ask their tech if I can take something to help me go to sleep but if I'm told not to take anything then I won't. Do most patients who are tested take something to help them go to sleep the night they're being tested or is it recommended not to take anything because taking something like one Diazepam 10mg tablet could have a negative affect on the outcome of the sleep study test results on test night?

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
05/07/14

DEXSUZ

Re: Take a sleeping pill or not on test night?

Post by DEXSUZ » Wed May 07, 2014 9:05 pm

When I had my sleep study in January of 2013 I was instructed to do and take everything exactly as I did in normal night sleeps at home.

A positive irony of my successful use of CPAP gear is that I have greatly reduced my dose and use of bedtime prescriptions. When I told my doctor of this during my most recent visit, he was extremely pleased. Told me that I was perhaps within four-six months of being totally drug-free. I LIKE that, my MD will like that, the HMO will like that, and so will will my wallet.

cdean

Post by cdean » Wed May 07, 2014 9:10 pm

I had a sleep study about a month ago. I never take sleeping pills. However, the doc (board certified in neurology and sleep medicine) that prescribed the study also prescribed a "sleeping pill" in case I needed it to fall asleep . . . which I did. I think it was a generic Ambien. He told me it would not effect the sleep study. However, I strongly recommend against taking anything like Diazepam at your sleep study unless your sleep doctor says it is okay. So, I think you should call your doc and ask for a prescription for a sleeping pill in case you need it. Otherwise count sheep.

library lady

Post by library lady » Wed May 07, 2014 9:18 pm

When I had my sleep test I was given RX for sleeping pills, told not to take them ahead of time just bring them with me along with my regular meds.... they would not let me take the sleeping pills... they wanted to see how quickly I would get to sleep, but after 30 min. they would come in with water for me to take them. I couldn't believe it the next morning when they said I fell asleep in 13 minutes, never needed to give me the sleeping pills.... it's important for them to see for themselves how long it takes for you to get to sleep, I now realize. It's part of the process of a sleep study.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Uncle Flapp

Post by Uncle Flapp » Wed May 07, 2014 9:25 pm

I think they recommend against sleeping pills as they may skew the results but if the mask brings you claustrophobia, anxiety, etc, medication may help take the edge off - which is better than freaking out, ending the study early, and risk not getting enough good data. The latter was me on my first study. My follow-up study, with 10mg of Ambien, went much better. Fast forward a few months and I no longer fear the treatment and actually embrace it.

PartlyCloudy

Post by PartlyCloudy » Wed May 07, 2014 10:03 pm

I was told to take everything I normally take, which included 25-50 mg of diphenhydramine (benadryl). I did mention this specifically, and they said take it since I normally take it.

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:05 pm

For those of you who have recently had a sleep study did the lab where you were tested ask you to bring all of your meds in the bottles to the lab for them to see or just bring a print out of the meds you currently take? Just curious.

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
05/08/14

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat May 10, 2014 8:38 pm

Any doctor who sends you to a $leep te$t without a sleeping pill should be horsewhipped.

However, he should leave instructions to only take the pill in case you have trouble falling asleep.

A $leep te$t with "suspect" data due to a sleeping pill is much better than a $leep te$t with no data due to not sleeping.

It's all about making money by making you do more te$ts.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

happydaz

Post by happydaz » Sat May 10, 2014 8:43 pm

archangle wrote:Any doctor who sends you to a $leep te$t without a sleeping pill should be horsewhipped.

However, he should leave instructions to only take the pill in case you have trouble falling asleep.

A $leep te$t with "suspect" data due to a sleeping pill is much better than a $leep te$t with no data due to not sleeping.

It's all about making money by making you do more te$ts.

Plus 1

And don't bring your meds - but they will ask you to list them.

Edited to add: do bring whatever meds you usually take in the evening.

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Sat May 10, 2014 9:17 pm

The tragedy here is that they have not stepped up their game to include:

moving the initial polysomnograms totally into the home

taking some time to get the person familiar with the testing hardware before the test and as the test proceeds which should be several days

Honestly, if the persons central nervous system is so over stimulated by the situation of the test then the test results are not representative of a persons normal sleep drugs used or not.
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

49er

Post by 49er » Sun May 11, 2014 3:07 am

Todzo wrote:The tragedy here is that they have not stepped up their game to include:

moving the initial polysomnograms totally into the home

taking some time to get the person familiar with the testing hardware before the test and as the test proceeds which should be several days

Honestly, if the persons central nervous system is so over stimulated by the situation of the test then the test results are not representative of a persons normal sleep drugs used or not.
http://axgsleepdiagnostics.com/ provides a home PSG in California. Hopefully, more services like this will spring up for folks who need it.

Insurance companies are not going to pay for testing over several days. That is just reality.

Regarding taking sleeping pills, if you feel it would help, by all means do it. Better that than to waste money on a very expensive test by not sleeping.

49er

Sleepy123

Post by Sleepy123 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:26 am

I would definitely take the pill with me just in case, that was a mistake I did 5 years ago when I got my 1st sleep study done, I could not fall asleep was wide awake the whole night it was a total waste of time so they could not help me.
Last year I did another sleep study test and didn't bring a sleeping pill again since I have never taken one (BIG MISTAKE) but I did bring a Zanex that my mom gave me, the Zanex did help me get alittle sleep but it took forever to fall asleep, with the little sleep that I did get I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea I am sure If I would have gotten more sleep the results would have been more accurate, I have really bad fatigue during the day so the doctor Okayed me for the Cpap machine.

Last week I went in for the Cpap study test my Dr prescribed me Ambien and told me to take it for the study, I slept like a a baby, now I am just waiting for my CPAP machine to be scheduled for my home.

I have been suffering with Fatigue for so many years just because I didn't bring a sleeping pill with me, Good Luck!

dinycat

Post by dinycat » Sun May 11, 2014 8:06 am

At Mayo Clinic, I was allowed to take all my regular nighttime medicines, plus any sleeping I wanted.

The whole experience was pleasant, really.

dinycat

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Sun May 11, 2014 8:37 am

Follow your doctor's instructions, of course; most likely they will want you to take everything you usually take. If I didn't usually take a sleeping pill, I would not want to on the night of my sleep study; but I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat pretty much anywhere. That said, a sleep study with no sleep is useless, so if you anticipate difficulty I would definitely bring something just in case.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 11, 2014 8:38 am

Had I felt anxious about the study, I would have brought along an alprazolam--just in case.
Of course, I would have run it by my doctor first.
As it was, I'm that person who was awakened by the nurses (in the hospital) to take a sleeping pill,
which I refused, scolding them for disturbing my sleep in the first place.