ResMed ASV 36037 and sleepyhead

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pasta

ResMed ASV 36037 and sleepyhead

Post by Pasta » Fri May 02, 2014 1:48 am

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, I haven't seen any updates since about early February. I just got a new 36037 to start using tonight. I'm comfortable with sleepyhead and used it for my Respironics a-flex something or other that I'm replacing. Is the newest version of sleepyhead working with the 36037? Latest posts I saw said it "might" work and to just try it, and that an update is likely in the works.

Which brings me to my second question. I would just try it but in another ResMed ASV thread someone was warned to "lock their SD card" or their ASV would delete it when they put it back in. Never had this issue with my respironics, is that a ResMed thing? I didn't even know you could lock an SD card. I wouldn't care but my sleep doc might get annoyed if I wipe out my data while he's trying to get everything dialed in haha.

Additional Comments: S9 ASV 36037, Z2 Auto for backpacking

Pasta

Re: ResMed ASV 36037 and sleepyhead

Post by Pasta » Fri May 02, 2014 4:19 am

I found some better info on the SD card issue and now that makes sense at least. Funny all this time I didn't even notice SD cards had a write protection switch. I thought those went out with the floppy disk.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 02, 2014 5:58 am

I think that SleepyHead works okay with the 36037 but I can't swear to it. I know it works fine with the 36007 which I am using.
It depends on whether or not the file system on the SD card has changed with the new model in such a manner that would confuse SleepyHead.

That's what has happened with the Respironics ASV machines. The files are different some how and makes for SleepyHead being confused and coming up with erroneous calculations.

Just try it to see what happens.
Oh...FWIW...I have never used the write protect thing on the SD card...not with this 36007 model nor the S9 VPAP Auto....but then I don't use a Mac and I don't have Windows 8.xxx on my computer which seem to be the most likely candidates for possibly adding a file or doing something to the file structure that the S9 doesn't like which will cause it to spit out the SD card and tell you the card is invalid...and prompt for erasing the card. I doesn't do it without asking you first...but it won't let you do anything else until you allow it to erase the card.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » Fri May 02, 2014 6:35 am

Cool, thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try and post back. I also read it's mainly a Mac and maybe Windows 8 issue, and I'm running Windows 7. I'll still probably lock the SD card to be safe, why not.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 02, 2014 6:50 am

It hurts nothing to lock the SD card and only takes a split second.

I haven't bothered because there isn't any need for me to worry about erasing the SD card. I have the data in the software reports already...and the machine will put any summary usage stuff right back on the SD card and I don't have to prove anything to anyone regarding compliance or insurance issues. It's not like the SD card contains every file anyway...they all get totally written over after 30 days (7 days for hi def files) anyhow. So it's not like I am losing a ton of stuff.

I did have the S9 spit the SD card out once with the "invalid card" message but I know why it did it and it wasn't unexpected.
I had copied the card to my desktop because I needed the card for something else....so when I put the contents back onto the SD card the file structure wasn't the same and I didn't bother to move the folders back in proper order.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » Fri May 02, 2014 6:55 am

Yeah, I don't have to worry about proof of compliance or anything either, and once everything is dialed in I won't care if it gets wiped. I just don't want to wipe data while my sleep doc is trying to get everything right. I'm just surprised they even have that switch, never even noticed it. The first posts I found made it sound like you had to switch something before even pulling the card from the machine, so I thought it was a switch on the machine.

Juanefny

Post by Juanefny » Fri May 02, 2014 9:53 am

I don't seem to be running into any problems at all, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:10 pm

Sleepyhead works OK with my 36037 and I've never locked my SD card and have had no problems with it. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Pasta

Post by Pasta » Sat May 03, 2014 4:33 am

squid13 wrote:Sleepyhead works OK with my 36037 and I've never locked my SD card and have had no problems with it. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.
I'm also on Windows 7 64 bit. Used it last night for the first time and downloaded it today. Works great on my computer, and no problems putting the card back in. I did lock it just in case. Was also stoked to see how I did. On my Apap the best I could get down to was 6 AHI rarely, usually over 10 and closer to 20. I got to bed late and didn't get enough sleep, and being not used to ASV it woke me up a few times but nothing crazy. Was surprised that I was actually fairly energetic at work and not that tired, also in a good mood. Anyway, I checked it and last night I got an AHI of 0.55. Can't wait to see how I do with a full night sleep. Also surprised the ASV wasn't more obnoxious. It seemed waaaaay less obtrusive than the ASV used for my titration. Way less insistent on a breathing pace and much smoother. Not at all what I expected after reading about how rigid the ResMed machines are compared to the Respironics.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sat May 03, 2014 9:43 am

Pasta wrote:... Not at all what I expected after reading about how rigid the ResMed machines are compared to the Respironics. ...
Some people have VERY irregular breathing patterns. They really struggle with the Resmed units. But if your breathing pattern is fairly regular / consistent, then Resmed is a good fit.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Sat May 03, 2014 9:52 am

I myself have a 36037, and it works pretty well with builds made from the Unstable tree. (Unstables are quite safe to use at the moment.. it's just a word describing the branch)

Locking SD cards is a mainly an Apple thing.. because the OSX operating system likes to write cache files in places it shouldn't.. and ResMed likes to store filesystem journal data in unallocated filesystem areas, where it most definitely shouldn't. So two companies are making silly assumptions that cause a condition that can lead to potential data corruption.

Locking/Unlocking the card is a good habit to get into on any platform, especially where it's need for compliance purposes.

I'm very glad to report I've been very busy lately, and SleepyHead is getting much close to a new official release..

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code

Pasta

Post by Pasta » Sat May 03, 2014 3:45 pm

JohnBFisher wrote:
Pasta wrote:... Not at all what I expected after reading about how rigid the ResMed machines are compared to the Respironics. ...
Some people have VERY irregular breathing patterns. They really struggle with the Resmed units. But if your breathing pattern is fairly regular / consistent, then Resmed is a good fit.
My breathing pattern isn't perfectly regular, and what I experienced during my ASV titration was like what everyone says about the Resmed. During my titration I felt like I had to march in step with my breathing or get run over. Not at all now. The machine in my titration looked different, about twice as big, ugly, and gray. Not sure if it's just my settings are more mild or that model was REALLY rigid.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » Sat May 03, 2014 3:47 pm

jedimark wrote:I myself have a 36037, and it works pretty well with builds made from the Unstable tree. (Unstables are quite safe to use at the moment.. it's just a word describing the branch)

I'm very glad to report I've been very busy lately, and SleepyHead is getting much close to a new official release..
I didn't even have to install one of the Unstables, I just used the version I already had from the main page. Not sure if I'm missing features I don't know about, but it seems to be working great. Thanks for your hard work on it!

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat May 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Pasta wrote:
JohnBFisher wrote:
My breathing pattern isn't perfectly regular, and what I experienced during my ASV titration was like what everyone says about the Resmed. During my titration I felt like I had to march in step with my breathing or get run over. Not at all now. The machine in my titration looked different, about twice as big, ugly, and gray. Not sure if it's just my settings are more mild or that model was REALLY rigid.

Not to divert the thread, but here's my two cents worth regarding several months comparing my ResMed Adapt ASV model 36007 against my PR S1 autoSV advance 960p model. The ResMed basically says: Based on your settings, here's your correct breathing pattern/algorithm that will insure an adequate tidal volume for you, plus CO2/O2 exchange. If you miss a breath due to a hypopnea, a flow limitation or whatever it deals with it at the initiation of the event in an attempt to head off any problems at the pass (so to speak).

On the other hand, the PR autoSV seems to have a qualification waiting period of one inhale/exhale cycle. If you miss a breath as described above, it waits half a beat... that is to say it ramps up your pressure about half the volume it thinks may be eventually required. This definitely gives you a reminder to inhale, hoping you will get the hint and resume normal breathing. If you don't get the hint, the next pressure increase in the second inhale cycle will be considerable and will literally force you to take a breath, which is what ASV is all about, when you boil it down. Some people don't like that 'lag time' blast because it will wake them up... I know I didn't at first but now it hardly bothers me. It's just something you adapt to.

I happen to think the ResMed's right-off-bat pressure increase is just about as likely to wake one up, however I tend to be the minority in that opinion. I really like PR's initial half pressure increase to remind me to breath and it works maybe 95% of the time in my case. I have no empirical evidence to back up these comparisons but I do happen to own both machines and have used each extensively. Comments or issues with my analysis are always welcome.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun May 04, 2014 9:26 am

Sir NoddinOff, sounds as if you are about spot on with the way you describe it. I personally find the PR S1 ASV unit just a smidge more annoying, since that wait then act seems to awaken me more than Resmed's approach of insisting right away. But as I've often mentioned I don't really notice the pressure changes (in comparison to my first three months). Of course, I also have a slightly older PR S1 ASV unit which also has a nasty habit of beeping because due to leaks it is not be able to maintain the correct pressure. I might not notice the pressure changes at all if it were not for that.

Pasta, the older diagnostic units don't have all the bells and whistles built into the unit to help make it easier to live with. It's great to hear that you are taking to it like a duck in water!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński