Now, I officially hate Apria

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CMorri

Re: Now, I officially hate Apria

Post by CMorri » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:29 pm

They did this to me! I never should have let them keep my number! Triple billed me, and it was a debit card! My bank was good about reversing it but it was a lot to be out in the mean time.
My insurance wasn't paying anyhow so now I exclusively deal with the forum sponsor site.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:16 pm

I did not trust Apria from the first time they screwed up an order. The fact that in 5.5 years, they have NEVER gotten an order right royally infuriates me, plus the fact that any time I placed an order, it took a minimum of 2 hours, and then they would be calling me to be SURE I really wanted what I had ordered (and then they would screw up the order and leave the screw up in the system for next round.

They were constantly after me to put a credit card on file "in case my insurance didn't cover everything." I told them they could bill me if it didn't.

What finished me with Apria was my January trip to Atlanta.

A piece fell off my humidifier enroute. I immediately called Apria to see about picking up a replacement at the Atlanta office. They took 18 hours to get back to me, meaning that I spent two nights with an incorrectly functioning humidifier, and then told me they would contact the Atlanta office to see if they would provide the part because (since I hadn't gotten permission from Apria to travel) they weren't required to provide a part to someone who wasn't one of their patients. Apria Atlanta did not contact me.

I spent two more nights with the Bipap not working correctly.

I was in severe pain as a result. I also contracted a respiratory infection.

Because I knew what Apria was like, I had a part at home, so once I got home, my machine was working okay.

I then called my insurance, explained what had happened, and asked for other in-system DMEs in the area. One of the ones they gave me is a local DME from whom I've gotten things for cash from time to time. They had not been covered by my previous insurance. I called them. Now, mind you, it's been several years since I've gotten anything from them. The RT recognized my name and remembered that I used an ASV. He said they had the humidifier chamber I needed in stock. His recommendation was to just replace the whole chamber. I wanted a spare on hand, so I said I'd take it -- my husband picked it up on his way home.

About two weeks after I called Apria, a new humidifier chamber arrived on my doorstep, not just the part I needed. (Rather than asking me if I wanted it.)

About six weeks after that, a bill arrived. My co-pay cost, through Apria, after they billed my insurance, was about $4 less than the cash-purchase price at the other DME.

Any guesses which DME I'll take my new script for a new machine to?

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:26 am

Kiralynx wrote:I did not trust Apria from the first time they screwed up an order. The fact that in 5.5 years, they have NEVER gotten an order right royally infuriates me, plus the fact that any time I placed an order, it took a minimum of 2 hours, and then they would be calling me to be SURE I really wanted what I had ordered (and then they would screw up the order and leave the screw up in the system for next round.

They were constantly after me to put a credit card on file "in case my insurance didn't cover everything." I told them they could bill me if it didn't.

What finished me with Apria was my January trip to Atlanta.

A piece fell off my humidifier enroute. I immediately called Apria to see about picking up a replacement at the Atlanta office. They took 18 hours to get back to me, meaning that I spent two nights with an incorrectly functioning humidifier, and then told me they would contact the Atlanta office to see if they would provide the part because (since I hadn't gotten permission from Apria to travel) they weren't required to provide a part to someone who wasn't one of their patients. Apria Atlanta did not contact me.

I spent two more nights with the Bipap not working correctly.

I was in severe pain as a result. I also contracted a respiratory infection.

Because I knew what Apria was like, I had a part at home, so once I got home, my machine was working okay.

I then called my insurance, explained what had happened, and asked for other in-system DMEs in the area. One of the ones they gave me is a local DME from whom I've gotten things for cash from time to time. They had not been covered by my previous insurance. I called them. Now, mind you, it's been several years since I've gotten anything from them. The RT recognized my name and remembered that I used an ASV. He said they had the humidifier chamber I needed in stock. His recommendation was to just replace the whole chamber. I wanted a spare on hand, so I said I'd take it -- my husband picked it up on his way home.

About two weeks after I called Apria, a new humidifier chamber arrived on my doorstep, not just the part I needed. (Rather than asking me if I wanted it.)

About six weeks after that, a bill arrived. My co-pay cost, through Apria, after they billed my insurance, was about $4 less than the cash-purchase price at the other DME.

Any guesses which DME I'll take my new script for a new machine to?
The 6 years that I was with Apria I never experienced any of the problems like many of you have posted about here and my local Apria office never asked me for a credit card number to keep on file either. If they had asked me for one I would not have given them one.

Stevoreno_55
05/01/14

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 01, 2014 6:55 am

The quality of service varies greatly from one location to another,
and from one employee to another in any given office.
Maybe we should not compare them to McDonalds.
--or maybe we should!

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Tue May 06, 2014 9:45 pm

Stevoreno_55 wrote: The 6 years that I was with Apria I never experienced any of the problems like many of you have posted about here and my local Apria office never asked me for a credit card number to keep on file either. If they had asked me for one I would not have given them one.

There are SOME Apria offices with competent and caring people. You were, indeed, fortunate to find one.

The New Orleans office repeatedly uses Hurricane Katrina as a reason why they can't do this or that.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:27 am

I would recommend that if it does show up on your credit card, you can always call your bank and contest anything that you did not want/did not order. I have had companies try the same thing with me and I refuse to pay for it. It does not matter if it is 8 dollars or 80 dollars, it is a matter of principle.
Anyone ever visit http://www.withoutsnoring.com/? Reviews of anti-snoring devices

Jeannh

Post by Jeannh » Wed May 07, 2014 5:26 pm

I've offered Apria a credit card, but they don't like the one I have and asked for my debit card, which I refused them. I filed an appeal with the plan, and eventually they agreed.

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Thu May 08, 2014 11:49 am

I am leaving Apria but have not sound a single DME rated above a "1" which is the lowest choice. Any one with a good DME in the Greater Seattle area?

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Thu May 08, 2014 3:49 pm

If anyone thinks Apria hard to deal with for OSA supplies, try dealing with oxygen! I have to deal with Apria for my BIL's oxygen because they have the Indiana Medicaid contract. Until he gets his Medicare card, we are stuck with them.

I gave them a LARGE piece of my mind this past Tuesday, they almost caused a 911 call because their O2 tanks don't hold the full amount of O2. Well, I already knew this, but not one but two of his 'spare' tanks (we always take 2 spares, and the one tank he is hooked to) were almost empty & empty. He had a PFT at our local hospital, before that we went to lunch. At lunch the tank he was using was about 1/2 empty, no problem, I got the 'spare' from the car - it was empty! The white wrapper at the top (this is like a seal on a OTC med bottle) was not broken, so it was a new tank, but empty. I got the other one from the car - same problem. We weren't far from his apt so I went back & got the remaining two tanks.

In the meantime, I left him sitting at the restaurant, under the supervision of a waitress! Lucky for us, the next tank was full. We made it thru the PFT test at the hospital then hi-tailed it back to the apt. He lives on the 2nd floor, so when we got back, I had to lug all those tanks back upstairs (he is still too weak to do this). After his accident, we have determined he is dying, nothing is going to make his lungs any better, but I've had someone's A$$ at Apria, there is no excuse for delivering empty tanks with the seal on them as full.

I went to the branch manager (yes I mean went to their office in Louisville, KY) and raised 10 kinds of hell. They tell me they were sorry, but this does sometimes happen & I needed to understand that they fill hundreds of these tanks and accidents can happen. If he truly had no O2 I could have called 911. The manager really stood in front of me & suggested that 911 was the remedy for their incompetence! I would not use them for anything unless your insurance gives you no other options. If they are this careless with O2 patients, they probably give no regard to CPAP patients whatsoever.

For those of you who have not experience problems with Apria, it is probably because you have a local office staffed with kind caring individuals. This is not the case with our local office. I have written a nasty letter to their corporate office (VP in charge of operations), hoping against hope that they will work to change their policies on how they treat people. In another post, I've also told how they did the CC issue too. This company is not called Crapria for nothing!

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 08, 2014 4:00 pm

You can insist they WEIGH the tanks before delivering them!
They should be doing this anyway.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Chunkyfrog,

I never thought of this, and they've already delivered today. I will be on hand with scales next time. I will be over there tomorrow am & will take scales & weigh all they've delivered today.

Thanks!
Jen

Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

peke

Post by peke » Thu May 08, 2014 6:49 pm

Apria calls me 3 or 4 times per day on my home phone and my cell phone. They want a new credit card number because they screwed up and are trying to charge me full price. They sent in an old sleep study which caused the insurance company to deny the claim. Then they finally sent the correct study in, but didn't send it until 90 days was over. Insurance won't pay now so Apria is trying to make me pay the insurance companies' part.

Plus, they are forcing me to rent my machine. I will never own it. I have always rented a machine for a few months, then I owned it. Apria has me paying for 99 months. That is 8 years and 3 months. The machine will be replaced within five years. I will be changing companies as soon as we get that one bill straightened out... almost $900.00.

Adapt SV 10/2007 - 5/2021.
Air Sense 10 For Her started 5/2021
Currently using P10 for her

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Peke,

As soon as you arrange for a new DME you can tell Apria to go to hell. Because they were the ones to screw up the billing you may be able to get a refund on the months paid. This is tricky, but I would first a ask them. They will most likely refuse. Then ask the CC company to reveverse the charges, you will have to show proof that Apria screwed up, which you should have, the EOB & the continued attempts by Apria to charge you, for 99 months no less! A properly worded letter to your cc along with your back up evidence should obtain results.

Now I'm not positive, there may be other factors that either the cc or Apria will bring into consideration, but its worth a shot. The screw up was Apria's fault, not yours, so you should not suffer from their mistake.

Jen

peke

Post by peke » Thu May 08, 2014 8:10 pm

I agree. My insurance company told me that Apria is under contract to accept the insurance company's decisions. Like the 90 day time limit. Insurance company said I do not owe anything. Apria says that I do and that they can send the bill to collections. Neither one will talk to the other and I am in the middle. I will probably have to pay it just so they won't ruin my credit. My new sleep doctor hates the company too.

Adapt SV 10/2007 - 5/2021.
Air Sense 10 For Her started 5/2021
Currently using P10 for her

library lady

Post by library lady » Fri May 09, 2014 4:30 pm

Kiralynx: (since I hadn't gotten permission from Apria to travel)
I had trouble doing the quote thing, so just copied..

Since when do we need to get permission from a DME to travel? I realize you weren't at your home DME office, but that is just plain ridiculous. You wouldn't be asking them for help with a part if you didn't have and need a cpap machine.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.