Now, I officially hate Apria

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kiralynx

Re: Now, I officially hate Apria

Post by Kiralynx » Sun May 18, 2014 11:12 am

library lady wrote:Kiralynx: (since I hadn't gotten permission from Apria to travel)
I had trouble doing the quote thing, so just copied..

Since when do we need to get permission from a DME to travel? I realize you weren't at your home DME office, but that is just plain ridiculous. You wouldn't be asking them for help with a part if you didn't have and need a cpap machine.
Well, I wasn't aware I needed PERMISSION from anyone to travel! But according to what I was told, I ought to have notified them in advance so they know all our travel plans. (The thought sprang to mind, "What, so you can send someone over to rob the house while we're gone?")

I thought that would be the one advantage to having a nationwide DME -- if you have a problem while traveling, you just call the local office for help. I learned otherwise.

I also learned, btw, from a friend of mine whose daughter requires oxygen at night, that Apria will no longer provide oxygen for the young woman when she travels. She has to make those arrangements herself, finding oxygen companies along their route, and setting it up and paying for it.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun May 18, 2014 11:23 am

Kiralynx wrote: The thought sprang to mind, "What, so you can send someone over to rob the house while we're gone?".
Good one Kiralynx... crackin' me up

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun May 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:
Kiralynx wrote: The thought sprang to mind, "What, so you can send someone over to rob the house while we're gone?".
Good one Kiralynx... crackin' me up
Yes, well.... I don't exactly advertise when I'm not going to be in town, although I talk about past trips after we're back. Given how trustworthy Apria has been in the past....

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 18, 2014 4:19 pm

When we leave, there is always someone in the compound--and they have access to all the "hardware".

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:37 pm

Sadly this saga continues.

In semi, I received unsolicited equipment in March. I contacted them, and they acknowledge that I never placed an order with them. They sent a call ticket with Federal Express and the items were returned to them, which they also acknowledge. This was on March 20. However, they will not credit my CC account. So, I contacted my credit card company and put in a dispute. My credit card company attempted to contact them several times to no avail. I contacted my insurance company, and they made a phone call to the branch and they also assured that they would provide the credit, again to no avail.

Since they were nonresponsive to my credit card company, I signed a fraud statement and they returned the credit to my account after three months. I thought I was done. Not with Apria! Now, they have seen fit to send me a past due notice for the $83 that they believe I owe.

I never ordered the product.
I return the product that was sent to me in error.
They acknowledge receipt of the returned products.
My credit card company contacts them and they are nonresponsive.
My insurance company contact them and they are nonresponsive.
They are now billing me since they now don't have my CC number.

What now? Who do I complain to?

JustTia

Post by JustTia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:57 pm

One of my very first posts on this board was about this very same thing. Pasted below:
I know, I know, I know. This gets talked to death. I am new, but I searched. I know it gets talked about. I debated about being that annoying newbie who posts something with an obvious answer if one just used the search function. But several pages into the search, I still hadn't found exactly what I was looking for, so here I am.

Ok, so - like a lot of xpap newbies, I didn't find this awesome, knowledge-filled xpap utopia until AFTER I had been set up with a DME and gotten my equipment. I made the usual newb mistakes; when I was presented with a slip of paper at my sleep study, on which I was supposed to select a DME for my machine and supplies, I knew absolutely nothing about *any* of them. Like a good sheep, I just shrugged and checked off "no preference". Big - no, HUGE - mistake. I got set up with Apria. Sigh.

Now, mind you, at first I was happy with this. I mean, it took two weeks from the initial sleep study before they even did the titration study, and then another entire MONTH before I got irritated and called the sleep center to find out what was the hold up. I still hadn't even seen or heard any results from the study other than a letter that simply said I had "severe apnea". Not even any technical language such as OSA, or any information about how many events there were, etc. I was completely in the dark. So, when the center told me that they had sent the order over to Apria and gave me their number, I was thrilled.

I called Apria, and they said that they were waiting for my insurance to approve it (I have United HealthCare, who are also slow as Christmas). So, I called my insurance company, who said that they had approved it two weeks previously. First annoyance. I called Apria back the next day. I was told that it was still waiting for insurance approval. I told the rep that the UHC had told me already that it was approved two weeks previously. The rep goes into her computer system, then comes back and tells me that I was right, it WAS approved. I could come in the next day for my "class" and to get the machine. I asked her how much it would cost me. My husband and I don't do credit cards, so I wanted to know how much money I needed in the bank before I walked in. She looked in the system, and said that I owed nothing because I have already met both my deductible AND my max OOP for the year. Had a couple of surgeries early this year that knocked that one out of the ballpark already, so that was good. The sleep study and everything cost me nothing. Woo-hoo.

So, the next day I showed up for the "class", which consisted of a resp tech, another guy, and me. We went through all the stuff about how the machine works, etc. She hooked up masks for us (a medium Mirage Quattro for both of us). Mine kept leaking and leaking, but she fiddled with it and got it so that it didn't leak while I was sitting there. Granted, it leaked like a sieve once I laid down with it, but that's another story and today I'm talking about something else. Anyway, she brought out the invoices for each of us to sign. On mine, it said that I owed $120.19. Uh, no. No, I don't. I pointed that out to the tech, and she said she would go double check that. She left the room, and came back about 10 min later. She said that I was right, and when she pulled it up in the computer it showed that my ins is paying at 100% now, so I owed nothing. She marked through the prices and balance owed and initialed them, then wrote a large note in the margin for the billing people. Said that billing would take care of it when they put it in the computer. Sounded good, hunky dory, and I was out the door with my machine (mine, no rental!) for no money out of pocket, as promised.

Things were, well...bumpy those first few days. I was back in there a couple of days later to get a new mask. None of the ff fit me, we tried a bunch, open packages lying around everywhere. I was starting to feel bad, lol. Finally settled on Swift fx for her, with a chin strap to make sure I don't mouth breathe. Except there was no chin strap in my size (just call me Tiny Head, I guess). It would have to be ordered. So, again I walked out with my new stuff and paid no money.

About two weeks after getting the cpap, I got a call from an Apria rep, saying that they needed to put a credit card on file with my account in order to finish processing and setting it up. She also said that there was an outstanding balance of $120.19 that needed to be charged. I disagreed and said that my insurance was paying at 100%. She looked it up in her computer, and sure enough I was right, but that she couldn't fix it. I would have to call the billing department to get that fixed. I said that I was not comfortable sharing my card information for them to "keep on file" until that was cleared up. She said that was fine, and we hung up. I immediately called the billing department, and the rep that I spoke with there ALSO looked it up in her computer and saw that what I was saying was correct, and that I owed nothing. Meanwhile, I'm checking in with my insurance and sure enough, they are showing patient obligation for all of this stuff as $0. Again, I said I wasn't comfortable giving them my card info until they had the insurance status correct and the balance owed cleared off. Again, this was A-ok with the rep.

Two days after that I got another call from an Apria rep. My chin strap was FINALLY ready to ship (after two and a half weeks of waiting). She also said it was time for new hoses and filters, if I wanted those as well. I asked her if there was any charge for that. She looked in the computer, and said there was no charge, since my insurance was paying 100%. I said, fantastic! Go ahead, I'll take them. She said they needed a credit card on file before she could ship them out. I specifically asked if anything would be charged to the card. Oh, no ma'am, we just need it on file in order to ship out your orders. You don't owe anything for this, so there's no charge. Finally, a little hesitant and against my better judgment, I gave them my debit card info.

Two days after THAT, guess what happened?? A charge on my card for $2.88. I didn't authorize any charges. And besides, in all the discussions that dollar amount NEVER came up! I was livid. And get this - later that day a bill for $120.19 showed up in the mail.

Is $2.88 a lot of money? Well, no. But they are being jerks about getting the money back to me. I've called every couple of days for a week now and keep getting told that they are waiting for the insurance to send over verification that they are paying at 100% so that they can clear the balance owed AND refund my $2.88. WHAT??? I called my insurance co and asked them about this, because I wanted to expedite the process and get that balance cleared out before they charge my card for $120.19 that I didn't authorize. UHC rep said that they sent over that verification on 7/14. These people, not sure which ones, are seriously jerking me around now and I'm done. Clearly, every single person I have spoken with at Apria could see in their computers that I owe nothing, yet every single one of them failed to FIX IT. If they can see that I owe nothing, then why do they still need "verification"? Very frustrating. And while $2.88 isn't much, I don't trust Apria with my financial info and I'm really uncomfortable. I check my bank balance every single day in case they have dinged it for $120.19.
Update since then - I've fired Apria. Still don't have my money back. Don't know if I ever will. Now I order from Edgepark. They are in network with my ins, and I already order my diabetic supplies from them. No hassles, super easy. I get online, throw what I want to order into my cart, and check out. If they need a script, they contact the doctor and still ship the next day. Very happy with them.

Board culture. Learn it. Embrace it.

pratzert

Post by pratzert » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:24 am

This is the sort of thing that has earned them the nick name "CRAPRIA".

I have read of a very, very few good experiences, but the vast majority of experiences with Crapria has been a nightmare.

I have been dealing directly with the Manager at a Local branch who told me to contact her directly to order my supplies so I would not have any difficulties with the 800 number orders. (I've had many problems with that process.)

Well, even in dealing with the local manager, the last time I emailed an order, it got messed up.

I was supposed to pick it up at the local office and the main order center kept calling me to find out where to mail the items.

WTH CRAPRIA..... Why can't you get this right ? !

It's not as if you are a brand new company going thru growing pains. You should be able to take a simple supply order and ship it out properly.

I sometimes feel that Satan created CRAPRIA as a new scourge to mankind.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:43 am

Due to the credit card demand, I fired Apria.
They think I will be back, "when they win the competitive bid", as the office manager says.
They didn't even sign the contract for Medicare for 2014!
If they manage to actually win the "bid" (bribery-assisted, of course), I expect all second rate products,
and will still purchase the stuff I want elsewhere.

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:20 am

Here's the latest. I am currently on the phone with Apria. When the gal answered the phone, I got her name, confirmed it, asked if the call was being recorded, which she confirmed and I said, "Good, because I am recording this call as well." (That'll make you sit up straight!)

I calmly explained the issue, and she put me on hold. She confirmed that the credit card company took back the funds from them. Yes, that is accurate, because you wouldn't return my money. Now, however, you are charging me directly. She confirmed that I don't owe any money and my account would be credited (where have I heard this before multiple times?) I asked for written confirmation that my account was paid in full and no monies were owed. She stated that she would need to escalate the call to her leadership, which she did. Thank you Francis!

Spoke to second gal, same drill about telling her I was recording the call, and getting the spelling of her name. When I asked for written confirmation, she offered to send confirmation that the credit card company took back the funds from them! Uh, no. That is not in dispute. They took back the funds on July 3 because they wouldn't credit my account. On July 19, Apria started billing me to try to get the funds back. I want confirmation that I have a zero balance and owe nothing to them.

She said she would send a letter. Okay, when can I expect this letter? I'll mail it out tomorrow, so you should have it in five business days. What is your last name, so if I need to follow up on this matter, I can do so directly with you? She gave me her last initial.

Wished her a pleasant day.

I'm proud of my ability to get through the call without raising my voice with as angry as I am with them.

Next Friday, if there hasn't been a letter received, my buddy Kasey is getting a phone call!

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 am

I appear to be the only happy customer of Apria.. I've been using them for almost 2 years now.

Never been asked to have a credit card on file or had improper billing.

I call them every 4-5 months and ask for some replacement item that I need and it's shipped. I get a bill in the mail from Apria for what BCBS didn't cover.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

JustTia

Post by JustTia » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:03 pm

Denial Dave wrote:I appear to be the only happy customer of Apria.. I've been using them for almost 2 years now.

Never been asked to have a credit card on file or had improper billing.

I call them every 4-5 months and ask for some replacement item that I need and it's shipped. I get a bill in the mail from Apria for what BCBS didn't cover.
You are incredibly lucky.

My local office manager said he removed my card from the system for me (and as far as I know, he did), after the central billing people charged me for stuff that I owed nothing for. I reached my max OOP BEFORE I even became a customer of Apria! Before they ever heard of me, I had already hit full coverage for DME. So, when they verified my insurance coverage, they would have seen this. From the very beginning. From my very first order. They have been trying to bill me $120.19 for my cpap EVER SINCE, even though every single time I call, the rep that I speak with can see in her computer that I owe NOTHING!! And they *did* charge me $2.88 (my 15% copay, required after I meet my deductible but before max oop) for replacement hoses, after specifically telling me on the phone that I would be charged nothing for them. I double checked BEFORE they sent the hoses, and was told that I would owe nothing at all. Yet, they dinged my checking account for $2.88. And now, not only will they not give it back but they keep sending me bills in the mail for $120.19 (again, my copay if wasn't already covered 100%) for my cpap. Utterly ridiculous and criminally incompetent.

Board culture. Learn it. Embrace it.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:25 pm

I have had much better luck with Crapria.
When I got my new ASV machine last Oct they only asked for my credit card a dozen times or so. When I asked how much they were going to charge they could not tell me. When I asked what is the maximum cost of the ASV machine if I had to pay full price for it they could not tell me.
I said when you can tell me what my potential liability might be we could talk about it again.
When I picked up supplies they again requested my CC, and again I refused.
On my last visit I dealt with the receptionist who by now has gotten to know me. She didn't bother to ask. Progress!

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:22 pm

And this is why I bought a machine on Craigslist a couple of months ago and all my filters online.

I did buy a new water tank and nasal pillows through them last months, and it took three phone calls. Urk.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Shop of all shocks, I received the letter from Apria today. It says, "After close review of your account we see that those items were returned back to our company, therefore, we have adjusted this invoice from patient obligation."

They don't have my credit card any longer, since I had to cancel it due to the fraud transaction they perpetrated on me, I guess we're done with this one. One can hope!

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:26 pm

Not to give the folks that have Apria billing them at home (post-credit card) any more headaches, but unfortunately Apria still has one more arrow left in their quiver regarding what they perceive as unpaid bills, even unjust ones. A collection agency. I've gone this route a few times with similar creepy companies and in the end they will simply send the outstanding bill to a collection agency, which is where the nightmare really kicks, mostly because this action threatens your credit rating. Yes, in case you are wondering, APRIA HAS LEARNED and now they've got the system wired to their advantage after driving out the legitimate DMEs.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.