Woken by dry mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Not Fade

Re: Woken by dry mouth

Post by Not Fade » Thu May 01, 2014 6:25 pm

I've also heard that dry mouth can lead to gum and dental problems? Any truth in that?
The answer is "Yes".

I explained the situation with my nightly dry mouth to my dentist. He told me that bacteria could not grow without a source of food. If I was sure to brush thoroughly and floss before going to bed, he said I would not have a problem. I use Sonicare toothbrush - great for thorough cleaning under the gum lines.

As an added precaution I work some Biotene gel around in my mouth with the tip of my tongue just before putting on the mask.

However, I absolutely am disappointed that Biotene changed the forumula. The viscosity is so thin now that it just doesn't have the staying power of the previous formula.

Starpilot

Post by Starpilot » Thu May 08, 2014 1:16 pm

So I turned the humidity down to 70. I also made a discovery one night that was a total "Ah Duh!" moment (half ah hah moment and half no duh moment). I could breathe through my tape! When I first read about the taping, I wanted something gentle so I bought paper tape (like they put on you after drawing blood). Air passes right through it!

I got the cloth tape and now can't breathe through it. So with the humidity at 70, using the cloth tape, turning down my minimum pressure to 13.5 I have had a little bit of occasional dry mouth but it has been much much better.

But I'm still soooo tired. I will post some graphs I hope tomorrow and hopefully someone can see something I can try playing with.

Pugsy thank you so much for the offer of the FFM. I will pm you, because I do want to try it. I am obviously a mouth breather and these pillows are too small for my nostrils and hurt a little so maybe a FFM will solve multiple problems at once.

roxieo

dry socket

Post by roxieo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:07 am

I just had an upper back tooth pulled today. Will using my cpap cause dry socket?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:08 am

roxieo wrote:I just had an upper back tooth pulled today. Will using my cpap cause dry socket?
It shouldn't. Dry sockets are normally causing by a sucking motion (negative pressure) like sucking through a straw or puffing on a cigarette.
CPAP pushes air and even with using a full face mask with mouth breathing the air is being pushed with positive pressure into the mouth and not sucked out with negative pressure.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.