New doc and "CPAP fasting" before sleep study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sludge

Re: New doc and "CPAP fasting" before sleep study

Post by Sludge » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:32 am

Stevoreno_55 wrote:How about a 10MG Diazepam?
"IMHO" diazepam is obsolete, unpredictable and dangerous.
You Kids Have Fun!!

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:50 am

Kennerly wrote:
Sludge wrote:
zoocrewphoto wrote:And the sleep lab did fine for diagnosing and treating my sleep apnea.
How do you know?

I mean, if you took Ambien for the study, Ambien makes obstructive sleep apnea worse, and it makes central sleep apnea better...
...I was under the impression that sleep meds had the opposite effect on centrals.
See F/U post re: Bev.

I think the best answer is:

Rather than drug wingin" (shoving in drugs and hoping something good will happen), you need to know exactly what you want/need to fix before you try to fix it. Hypnotics may be quite helpful in the treatment of CompSAS (Treatment Emergent Centrals) as they reduce the hyperarousability that generates chain-centrals caused by hypocapnea.

However, if one has hypercapneic-associated CSA, the addition of sedating-promoting drugs has the about the same potential as putting a plastic bag over your head.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2670330/
Kennerly wrote:Does this apply to Lunesta as well? ... centrals were an issue prior, and to some extent still are.
Depends on the source and number of centrals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2542971/
You Kids Have Fun!!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:51 am

I no longer need to nap, thanks to cpap.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Stevoreno_55 wrote:
So if you took a nap during the day; I'm bad about doing it in my recliner but I'm not near my CPAP machine; do you move your machine from the bedroom to wherever if you take a nap during the day? #justcurious
Never nap unless I am sick and then I am in bed. It makes me feel like crap even with cpap.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

OhHelpMe

Post by OhHelpMe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:59 pm

Stevoreno_55 wrote:
Same here. About 3 years ago I ended up in ER hooked up to monitors. As I drifted into a doze (sitting up) I woke suddenly and notices my SPO2 was in the 70's ( sleep study it dropped down to 56%) . That was just drifting off, not full sleep. I will never sleep without it ever again. So if you took a nap during the day; I'm bad about doing it in my recliner but I'm not near my CPAP machine; do you move your machine from the bedroom to wherever if you take a nap during the day? #justcurious

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
04/25/14
It seems to work better if the machine is in the same room as my nap. YMMV.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:08 pm

Last time I was sick, I just went back to bed--11 hours straight.
Cats really know what they are doing.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:08 pm

Stevoreno_55 wrote:do you move your machine from the bedroom to wherever if you take a nap during the day? #justcurious
i move my body to the room with the cpap machine.
give it a try it does work

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:59 pm

I'd vote for Ambien to get you to sleep early. My sleep doctor, quite well-known and respected in the area, suggested Ambien if I ever had to have another sleep study, and expressed regret that I didn't have Ambien for my one and only sleep study. He's happy to prescribe it if I need it for sleeping occasionally. I'm still on the original 30 Ambien that I got when I started cpap (over 2 years ago) after using it for week then, so I don't use it a lot *smile*, just when I know I'm going to have a problem sleeping.

I'm also late to go to bed (2AM more or less), and do take .3mg of melatonin, which seems to help me in getting back to sleep later on in the night. It is also used for changing one's sleep time, like for working with jet lag. However, I'd still go with Ambien, it is reliable, you're not going to want to get geared up more than once if at all possible, so you should get the maximum you can out of it.

I know that for my next sleep study (never, if I have anything to say about it *smile*), I'll be using Ambien. After all that, of course I don't know if Ambien interacts with any other drugs you may be taking. If it does, I'm sure that there's a sleep aid that doesn't, especially for such a short term purpose.
Last edited by RogerSC on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:29 pm

OhHelpMe wrote:
Stevoreno_55 wrote:
Same here. About 3 years ago I ended up in ER hooked up to monitors. As I drifted into a doze (sitting up) I woke suddenly and notices my SPO2 was in the 70's ( sleep study it dropped down to 56%) . That was just drifting off, not full sleep. I will never sleep without it ever again. So if you took a nap during the day; I'm bad about doing it in my recliner but I'm not near my CPAP machine; do you move your machine from the bedroom to wherever if you take a nap during the day? #justcurious

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
04/25/14
It seems to work better if the machine is in the same room as my nap. YMMV.

Last edited by Stevoreno_55 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

happydaz

Post by happydaz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:18 pm

Guest wrote:Looks like he is deleting stuff again....this was after Chunkyfrogs post.
Guest wrote:
Stevoreno_55 wrote:do you move your machine from the bedroom to wherever if you take a nap during the day? #justcurious
i move my body to the room with the cpap machine.
give it a try it does work
Johnny are you watching?

Is anyone keeping score? Who's on first? There is always one (or two) on every forum.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:49 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm really glad to hear that you're finally getting a full sleep study. And I hope that you find out what's keeping you from feeling rested. Life is so much more enjoyable and peaceful when you're feeling less tired.

Take care.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:24 am

RogerSC wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm really glad to hear that you're finally getting a full sleep study. And I hope that you find out what's keeping you from feeling rested. Life is so much more enjoyable and peaceful when you're feeling less tired.

Take care.
Thanks Roger *smile*.

nmbugs

Post by nmbugs » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:29 am

Sludge wrote:
kaiasgram wrote:
Sludge wrote:OTOH, Jason does full-boat HSTs, don't he?

Just throwin" it out there...
Can't PM you, 'ya know...
Fixed...
PM for you still doesn't work. Comes up saying some users don't accept pms.

Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV w/ humidifier and climate line tubing w/ 2L O2. Just restarted therapy after stopping bipap for 1 yr due to complications w/ increased centrals

SleepyStar

Post by SleepyStar » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:14 pm

I hope the test goes well for you, Kaiasgram!