New doc and "CPAP fasting" before sleep study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kaiasgram

New doc and "CPAP fasting" before sleep study

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:30 pm

I saw my new sleep doc this afternoon and he scheduled me for a full sleep study which I've never had. He asked me to stop using my machine at least 3 nights before the sleep study to avoid being tested during the 'honeymoon' period -- the first couple of nights after stopping cpap, when apparently people can be still benefitting from their regular cpap use. He wants to pick up anything that might be causing my ongoing exhaustion and wants to eliminate any confounds. Even though we know I have OSA he's having me start the sleep study without a machine to get a look at any possible underlying neuro issues.

I believe this (CPAP "fasting" and the honeymoon effect) has come up on the forum before but it hasn't come up a lot so I thought I'd share it. I have only gone off my machine a couple of times in the two years I've been papping. On both occasions I definitely had the honeymoon experience -- the first morning after a no-pap night I felt like I usually do. The second morning, worse and the third morning I was very much wanting to be reunited with my machine.

My sleep doc is a neurologist and I waited almost a year to be able to leave my prior medical group and get a referral to see him. He spent an hour and a half with me going over sleep and other neurological issues. He read my sleep data, looked in my airway, measured my neck circumference and reviewed my sleep history starting with infancy. He knew about SleepyHead and even knew that there was a Mac version. He had articles on UARS that he printed out and gave to me before I left his office. Amazing. I'm in love. Of course, true to Murphy's Law he is leaving this medical group in a few weeks but I may be able to follow him to his new location with my current PPO insurance.

Last edited by kaiasgram on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ems

Re: New doc and CPAP "fasting" before sleep study

Post by ems » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 pm

This guy sounds almost too good to be true!

I've talked to all the higher ups and you will absolutely be able to follow him wherever he goes!

Sounds like the beginning of many good things to come!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:38 pm

I am so glad your new doc is spectacular.

But, oh, heavens, I do not think I could "fast" from my Beastie. The level of pain I dealt with after involuntarily doing without it after Hurricane Isaac is not something I ever want to deal with again.

You have amazing courage.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Kiralynx wrote:You have amazing courage.
Uh, not so much! But after two years on PAP and only a smidgeon of feeling better I'm willing to follow his recommendation. He did say it would be fine for me to sleep in my recliner which will help a little.

Actually at first I think he said a week but when he saw the look on my face he quickly adjusted the recommendation.

And I'm trying to look on the bright side -- with my delayed sleep phase issues I will need to be good and tired to be able to sleep so early at the hospital. Three days off PAP ought to get me there...

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:15 pm

Congrats on escaping Kaiser! Good luck with your new doctor.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Sure hope they can figure out how to help you get on with the business of feeling better. Will be eagerly awaiting your report after the study.

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:27 am

I've never heard of fasting before a sleep study but one thing I wouldn't do is show up at a testing facility when it was time to check in after having had some pizza or something else heavy on my stomach several hours earlier which might require me to have to get up to go to the bathroom during the night while I was being tested. I always looked forward to going to IHOP to have a nice breakfast the morning after I was tested.

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
04/24/14

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:49 am

Stevoreno_55 wrote:I've never heard of fasting before a sleep study but one thing I wouldn't do is show up at a testing facility when it was time to check in after having had some pizza or something else heavy on my stomach several hours earlier which might require me to have to get up to go to the bathroom during the night while I was being tested. I always looked forward to going to IHOP to have a nice breakfast the morning after I was tested.
Not food-fasting, Steve. CPAP-fasting. Going without CPAP before the sleep study. Explained in my first post.

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:31 am

kaiasgram wrote:
Stevoreno_55 wrote:I've never heard of fasting before a sleep study but one thing I wouldn't do is show up at a testing facility when it was time to check in after having had some pizza or something else heavy on my stomach several hours earlier which might require me to have to get up to go to the bathroom during the night while I was being tested. I always looked forward to going to IHOP to have a nice breakfast the morning after I was tested.
Not food-fasting, Steve. CPAP-fasting. Going without CPAP before the sleep study. Explained in my first post.
Oooops!! Me bad but I still wouldn't load myself down on heavy food a few hours before I was scheduled to have a sleep study either. Like I said earlier I look forward to a good IHOP breakfast the morning after the test is over.

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
04/24/14

Sludge

Re: New doc and "CPAP fasting" before sleep study

Post by Sludge » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:33 am

http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1 ... 1jHUPldV8E
kaiasgram wrote:He wants to pick up anything that might be causing my ongoing exhaustion and wants to eliminate any confounds.
OK but
kaiasgram wrote: -- with my delayed sleep phase issues I will need to be good and tired to be able to sleep so early at the hospital. Three days off PAP ought to get me there...
why is the sleep center not testing you during your "normal" sleep period? "IMHO", if you take a DSPS person and toss 'em in a strange place with all that junk and end up with an SE of 50%, that data can hardly be called valid.
You Kids Have Fun!!

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:33 am

Stevoreno_55 wrote:
kaiasgram wrote:
Oooops!! Me bad but I still wouldn't load myself down on heavy food a few hours before I was scheduled to have a sleep study either. Like I said earlier I look forward to a good IHOP breakfast the morning after the test is over.
Sounds good to me too!

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:35 am

Stevoreno_55 wrote:Me bad but I still wouldn't load myself down on heavy food a few hours before I was scheduled to have a sleep study either.
You shouldn't ever "load yourself down on heavy food".
You Kids Have Fun!!

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:41 am

Sludge wrote:http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1 ... 1jHUPldV8E
kaiasgram wrote:He wants to pick up anything that might be causing my ongoing exhaustion and wants to eliminate any confounds.
OK but
kaiasgram wrote: -- with my delayed sleep phase issues I will need to be good and tired to be able to sleep so early at the hospital. Three days off PAP ought to get me there...
why is the sleep center not testing you during your "normal" sleep period? "IMHO", if you take a DSPS person and toss 'em in a strange place with all that junk and end up with an SE of 50%, that data can hardly be called valid.
Thanks for the article link.

Yeah, it only took me a couple of hours after the sleep study got scheduled to start worrying about the DSPS complication. What to do, though? I've never heard of a sleep center/hospital that would conduct a sleep study for someone with a start time of 2 a.m. (Actually this year I didn't even adapt to DST, so it's more like 3 a.m. lately.)

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:42 am

kaiasgram wrote:I've never heard of a sleep center/hospital that would conduct a sleep study for someone with a start time of 2 a.m.
You Kids Have Fun!!

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:49 am

Sludge wrote:
kaiasgram wrote:I've never heard of a sleep center/hospital that would conduct a sleep study for someone with a start time of 2 a.m.
Oh god -- how much would the RT flight cost from Sacramento and would the SS be complimentary?