Battery power packs for camping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pesser

Re: Battery power packs for camping

Post by Pesser » Tue May 20, 2014 10:38 am

Is it possible that the unit is shutting off because when asleep you are not using enough AMPs? Where you would have no OSD events and the auto pressure would not rise the AMPs used would be low; wouldn't it?

adant33

Post by adant33 » Tue May 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Pesser wrote:Is it possible that the unit is shutting off because when asleep you are not using enough AMPs? Where you would have no OSD events and the auto pressure would not rise the AMPs used would be low; wouldn't it?
I thought about that, however I tested just leaving my CPAP plugged in but not turned on (e.g. the display on the CPAP is on, but it was not providing "Therapy"). So this really is only powering the screen, which requires minimal power to do so. The unit remained on all day like this, so I don't think that could be it unfortunately. I'll try testing this again just to be sure.

EDIT:
Been thinking about this more... There is something different happening when the CPAP is hooked up to me vs it just running on it's own. As you mention when sleeping, breathing changes, and based on the unit not shutting off for at least 2 hours or so, it's likely happening when I'm in deed sleep (also explains why when I wake up in the night as a result of my CPAP turning off, I am completely clueless). I'm really just thinking out loud here - need to pinpoint what the differentiating variable is.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Tue May 20, 2014 1:49 pm

Thinking that it is inactivity or less activity may be wrong. When you’re asleep the AMPs could be going up rapidly because you APAP needs to solve an event. Could it be that the battery is sensing too much of an increase in AMPs? By this I mean that if you’re using say 0.6 AMPs and then you need 2.14 could that trigger the battery to panic and shutoff for safety? Low usage seems to be OK with it!!!
If you succeed, you will be freeing a lot of use from the CPAP chain!

Bama Rambler

Post by Bama Rambler » Tue May 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Have you looked at the data from the machine to see if any event(s) correlated with the shutoff? Such as a sudden large leak.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue May 20, 2014 3:23 pm

Hook up a volt meter so you can monitor voltage while the unit is running. Then you have a couple of choices.

You can impose upon someone to stay up all night and watch what is going on, or,
You can find a way to record the voltage so you can review it the following day, or,
You can set up a camera to capture your nights sleep along with the voltage measurements, or,
You can pick up a few good movies and mask up and watch them and monitor the voltage yourself.

adant33

Post by adant33 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks all for the tips. I'm trying to come up with a creative way to monitor this!

Some updates. I hooked up a multi-meter to get an idea how much current my CPAP was drawing. I am at pressure setting of 6.5 with no humidifier attached.

Display only (no blowing): <.1 amps (note that this does not trigger the auto-off on the battery)
At peak air output (no hose attached): 2-2.5 amps (well under the 4-4.74 amp max of the battery)
Mask on inhaling: .5-1 amps (depending on how quickly I breathe in)
Mask on exhaling .1 - .3

I have c-flex enabled (reduces pressure on my exhale) and this causes the amp reading to be fluctuating quite a bit. I wonder if this has something to do with it.

azbookmouse

Post by azbookmouse » Wed May 21, 2014 11:00 am

I am so glad I found this thread today! Anxiously awaiting the next update as I am planning a camping trip for the 30th, and have been spending the past two weeks trying to figure out how I am going to live for three days...Please keep updating!! And Thank You!!

OboeVet

Post by OboeVet » Wed May 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Adant33 reported: "After another night of testing, the Intocircuit still shuts off every 2-4 hours during usage with my CPAP. I'm not sure why, and it is rather difficult to determine as I'm asleep when it happens. When running it all day without myself connected, it appears to run fine - not sure what the differentiating factor is"

I carefully read the specs on the link you posted to Amazon.com. My revised hunch there is some feedback-loop from the APAP to the "little grey cells" in the power pack that fool it into thinking that it is hooked to a computer whose battery is "full." That triggers it's "sleep mode." Can you override the sleep mode?

Agree with several posts: this is great for continuing CPAP/APAP/XPAP during disasters, camping, traveling, etc. Thanks!

Don

adant33

Post by adant33 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:51 pm

Another night of unsuccessful CPAP battery operation. I tried adjusting some of the CPAP settings, but the battery still turns off. Unfortunately the only way to override the 'sleep mode' is by pressing a button, which will not work for our situation. I got in touch with tech support and was told the battery will turn off for 3 different reasons:

1.the connector does not fit properly;
2.the current exceeds the max current that the IntoCircuit Power Castle 26000 can support ;
3.the current drops too low, because the IntoCircuit Power Castle 26000 would mistake that the charging is complete;

So it must be number 3. As Don mentioned, the battery might get confused during the deep sleep cycle where breathing is slower to think that that my device is fully charged. This surprises me as the machine will stay on if only the display is being powered, which is very little current. I don't think the IntoCircuit will be able to do the job.

I'm going to try the PowerAdd 32000mAh battery next. I read a review that complained that the battery remained on when just the cord was connected causing it to slowly discharge itself - this is good news for us!

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu May 22, 2014 3:54 pm

Another think you can try is to hook up a very small load. Something like a bulb or LED. If you can figure out how much current you need to draw to keep things running you could size the load. A resistor may work.

It would give you a little less run time but it would run all night.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Fri May 23, 2014 4:47 pm

A tech friend of mine suggested we try this: http://www.goalzero.com/p/151/sherpa-50 ... tech-specs

It's not quite as strong as it could be but there are other choices on the site!

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Fri May 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Pesser wrote:A tech friend of mine suggested we try this: http://www.goalzero.com/p/151/sherpa-50 ... tech-specs

It's not quite as strong as it could be but there are other choices on the site!
Big bucks for not a lot of power.
l'm curious how this would be used? Is it for hiking, or car camping?

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Sat May 24, 2014 8:47 am

CapnLoki wrote:
Pesser wrote:A tech friend of mine suggested we try this: http://www.goalzero.com/p/151/sherpa-50 ... tech-specs

Big bucks for not a lot of power.
l'm curious how this would be used? Is it for hiking, or car camping?
Yeah! I screwed that up! You're right. The power is too small for effectiveness!

akagai

Post by akagai » Sat May 24, 2014 12:46 pm

I use a normal Deep cycle automotive/marine/trolling type battery, and a cigarette lighter adaptor (with alligator clips).
Total cost for new setup is ~$150.00 which is much less than some of the specialized batteries and my setup provides power for many more hours.
Not bad investment for > 8 years of use. (I have used this for 8+ years with the same battery but replaced the Cig adaptor a couple of times @3-4 dollars)

It is a heavy setup, but I can get a full weekend trip (2-3 nights) without recharging.
My new CPAP has a DC adaptor and plugs straight into the power cord. The old CPAP only used AC and I needed an Inverter which did use more power and reduced the number of hours.

Once addicted to the CPAP, I had to bring it camping or I would be too sluggish the next day (and my tent mates thanked me).

The battery is charged at home with a standard Automotive charger.
When on an extended trip that is not near AC power for charging, I bring jumper cables and "re-charge" the battery by running the truck engine for a 30 mins to an hour.

My battery is an Optima, but any trolling motor battery will work. I especially like the handle on the Optima. (buy it local to avoid shipping, a fishing, boating store and some automotive stores will stock it.)
http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries- ... 74&sr=1-28
Cigarette lighter adaptor (with clips) (Truck stops, Radio Shack etc. will have similar inexpensive cords )
http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Battery-C ... er+adapter

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Sat May 24, 2014 1:16 pm

akagai wrote:I use a normal Deep cycle automotive/marine/trolling type battery, and a cigarette lighter adaptor (with alligator clips).
Total cost for new setup is ~$150.00 which is much less than some of the specialized batteries and my setup provides power for many more hours.
Not bad investment for > 8 years of use. (I have used this for 8+ years with the same battery but replaced the Cig adaptor a couple of times @3-4 dollars)

It is a heavy setup, but I can get a full weekend trip (2-3 nights) without recharging.
My new CPAP has a DC adaptor and plugs straight into the power cord. The old CPAP only used AC and I needed an Inverter which did use more power and reduced the number of hours.

Once addicted to the CPAP, I had to bring it camping or I would be too sluggish the next day (and my tent mates thanked me).

The battery is charged at home with a standard Automotive charger.
When on an extended trip that is not near AC power for charging, I bring jumper cables and "re-charge" the battery by running the truck engine for a 30 mins to an hour.

My battery is an Optima, but any trolling motor battery will work. I especially like the handle on the Optima. (buy it local to avoid shipping, a fishing, boating store and some automotive stores will stock it.)
http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries- ... 74&sr=1-28
Cigarette lighter adaptor (with clips) (Truck stops, Radio Shack etc. will have similar inexpensive cords )
http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Battery-C ... er+adapter
I have this battery for power outages: http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-802-1500- ... B00005RHQQ

Of course it has an inverter for AC. Is it your opinion that if I connect directly to the battery with your connector at: http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Battery-C ... er+adapter
That this will be more efficient? In other words; I will have more battery life? I did not know that an inverter uses a lot of power!

The only reasonable and portable battery seems to be: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/cpap.c ... cable.html
What is your opinion on the CPAP.com battery? Thank you for your support (I have to solve this mobile problem!)