Battery power packs for camping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
adant33

Re: Battery power packs for camping

Post by adant33 » Sat May 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Good news! The PowerAdd 32000mAh battery appears to work. It stayed on for me 8 hours without a problem (it appears to not have any auto-shutoff circuitry, which normally would be a downfall, but as good thing for us!). It's $30 more than the introcircuit, but still much less than many other specialty CPAP batteries. It is under 2 lbs.

Approx. 8 hours of use drained a 5th of the battery with normal CPAP use (roughly 5 nights of use) however this is likely a bit optimistic. I'm going to continue testing this to get some more data - I think this one might do the trick just fine.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sat May 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Pesser wrote: Of course it has an inverter for AC. Is it your opinion that if I connect directly to the battery with your connector at: http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Battery-C ... er+adapter
That this will be more efficient? In other words; I will have more battery life? I did not know that an inverter uses a lot of power!
Inverter ads often claim 90% efficiency, but that is generally only at one power level. I tested three small inverters with my pump and its AC brick and the best was only 60% efficient compared to running direct with the DC cord. Since you have a 12V machine you should definitely get the cord - its only $25.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

OboeVet

Post by OboeVet » Sat May 24, 2014 9:38 pm

Good job staying with subject. Very valuable! Thank you.

Don

adant33

Post by adant33 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:29 am

Second night with the PowerAdd was a success. Down to 54% after another 8 hours. At this rate, one could expect approx 32 hours of use (keep in mind I am at 6.5 pressure setting - YMMV)

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Sun May 25, 2014 12:36 pm

adant33 wrote:Second night with the PowerAdd was a success. Down to 54% after another 8 hours. At this rate, one could expect approx 32 hours of use (keep in mind I am at 6.5 pressure setting - YMMV)
Do you think there is any risk to damaging the CPAP? I say this because of all the different plugs that are available. If the plug is not delivering the exact amount of voltage then the amps (while usage is low indeed) are affected? I say this because my daughter lost her power cord for her laptop. The retailer gave her a replacement cord that wasn't from the same manufacturer as the laptop. About 3 months later the laptop was not working properly and 8 months later it failed. When I examined the cord the plug seem different than the original cord. Instead of receiving 19 volts I think the laptop was receiving a little less!

akagai

Post by akagai » Mon May 26, 2014 8:11 pm

Pesser wrote: I have this battery for power outages: http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-802-1500- ... B00005RHQQ

Of course it has an inverter for AC. Is it your opinion that if I connect directly to the battery with your connector at: http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Battery-C ... er+adapter
That this will be more efficient? In other words; I will have more battery life? I did not know that an inverter uses a lot of power!
Definitely, the inverter will use a surprisingly large amount of power.
However, make sure you use the CORRECT - DC power cable for your CPAP machine.
Quote from CPAP.com “Inverters do require a lot of power. If you need to use an inverter to run your machine on battery power, the inverter will probably take about half the life off the battery. “
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-faq/Power.html
There is also a couple of videos etc. at the same link
Pesser wrote: The only reasonable and portable battery seems to be: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/cpap.c ... cable.html
What is your opinion on the CPAP.com battery? Thank you for your support (I have to solve this mobile problem!)
That battery seems to work. I have a couple of concerns.
Pros;
• Very light @ 2.7 pounds
Cons:
• It will only last at most one night ( 6.75 Amp Hr / 97.2 Watt Hour) (Typical automotive battery= 70 amp-hours, Deep cycle battery > 100 amp- hours)
• “Charge time takes up to 10 hours” and will need AC power to recharge (Quoting the product page)
• Very Expensive @ $269.95

CPAP.com also sells the Cig adaptor cord, for $24.95,--- 8 times the local cost.
The “Review” tab shows that several other people use setup similar to mine.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... cable.html
Note: if you go with an automotive type battery, get a DEEP-Cycle as it is made to handle deep discharges.
Additional discussions on battery usage.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_11/3.html
More than you want to know about Amp hours;
http://www.wholesalesolar.com/deep-cycl ... -info.html

akagai

Post by akagai » Mon May 26, 2014 11:24 pm

Important safety note
One additional concern for using batteries while camping.

ALL batteries can be dangerous if opened, since most use ACIDs.

Lithium Ion can be a dangerous power supply.
ALWAYS handle with care.
Punctures to the cells can and DO cause explosions/fires.
• Keep these batteries COOL.
Examples include the 787 Airliner, Tesla automobiles and military communications equipment.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... y_concerns

Having said that, I do use Lithium Ion power tools, but take care handling and storage.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Tue May 27, 2014 11:23 am

Hi Akagai:

Thank you for the excellent information. I have purchased the battery call “CPAP.com battery”. And I am going to purchase the cords and attachments you have suggested.

I am only using the APAP machine at power outages or camping. I do not use the humidifier. I think the amps used will be OK with the CPAP.com battery. Z1 had a small humidifier that attaches between the hose and mask (pressure adjustment may be necessary…we’ll see). It’s under $6 and only good for a few nights; but that’s all I’d ever need.

My brother is an electrical engineer and he agrees with you. He is, however dubious about using plugs that are not from the manufacturer of the CPAP machine.

adant33

Post by adant33 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:54 pm

I've been using the PowerAdd 32000 mAh battery for almost 2 weeks now with no issue. It can power my CPAP for 4-5 8 hour nights on a single charge - not bad. I'm going on a 3 night backpacking trip in 2 weeks and will be using the battery and CPAP then!

lido14

Post by lido14 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:38 pm

I've had good success and usage with the 12 volt battery by owell industries. the model number is OW-12-C266 and there are other similar batteries at different websites. I can get 4 to 5 days without a humidifier and use it backpacking, boating, flying, tent camping etc. Enjoy the outdoors.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:49 pm

adant33 wrote:I've been using the PowerAdd 32000 mAh battery ...
I didn't want this thread to go by without mentioning that the "32000 mAh" in the name does not mean its 32 AmpHours at 12V. The spec lists 118.4 Wh, which at 12V is about 10 AmpHours.
The other battery mentioned is the Owell 266, which is 266 WattHours or probably 20 AmpHours measured at 13V.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

lido14

Post by lido14 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:26 pm

@adant33:

I think that battery you will be using is quite interesting. Its quite a bit lighter than the OWL12-266 I have which I would like when I backpack.

I'm thinking what you use could be a replacement for my battery on backpack trips or also be taken with my battery to extend my nights on the trails because its fairly small.

I use a Respironics 12 volt car charger adapter to connect my battery to my newer Respironics System 1 and older Remstar Plus machines.

What do you use to connect your Respironics cpap machine to the battery you are using?

lido14

Post by lido14 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:20 pm

@adant33:

Hope your camping trip is or has gone well since your last past was in May and your trip was coming up: When you get back or read the forum posts again, I am following up to my last question from earlier today which was:

What do you use to connect your Respironics cpap machine to the battery you are using?

My more specific question is: Are you able to use one of the laptop connectors and cables provided with the battery to plug directly into your PR System 1 cpap machine from the battery or do you need to use an inverter or other mechanism to connect the battery to the cpap machine?

Thanks.

GaryVass

Post by GaryVass » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:38 pm

I purchased the 32000 battery and tried to use it with my Respironics M series BiPap... the machine turns on, then the battery immediately cuts the power....

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:01 am

Not sure what a
GaryVass wrote:32000 battery
is. - Does it have make & model #?

Sounds as if either...
1. the battery is not fully charged. Any battery MUST be charged fully before use. Did you charge this battery first?
or
2. the power cable can't carry the current needed for the machine.
Where did you get the power cable?