Question About Severity

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JQLewis

Re: Question About Severity

Post by JQLewis » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:46 pm

NachtWürger wrote:
JQLewis wrote: As far as the relationship between the doctor and the DME goes, I've always assumed, cynic that I am, that all such relationships involve some kind of kickback scheme. Under the table no doubt, so there's no record to trip them up, but there's a definite quid pro quo involved.
Ridiculous, childish ramblings.

Most DMEs don't make enough profit to offer anyone a kickback.

Most doctors are backbones of the community and highly ethical.
Well, as I said, I could be wrong. Unlike you I don't have accurate data on the profitability of DMEs. Where did you get that data, if I may ask? Of course, it may be different in Mayberry than it is in NYC. In New York cynicism is often justified. When I was a child I believed as you do, in the incorruptibility of "backbones of the community". After years of first hand observation of corruption at every level of society I changed my mind. I still retain a healthy respect for my capacity to be wrong, though. And I'll always retain a fascination with the certitude of other people.

Sleep Study-Titration Study
Help find the undiagnosed. Send me a PM if you'd like to help (http://osaaction.org)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:54 pm

Did you ever check with your insurance company to find out if they pay by HCPCS code or brand/model name?
Almost all insurance companies pay by HCPCS code and the code for the Escape is the exact same code as for the Elite or AutoSet E0601...if insurance has already approved E0601...they won't need to approve it again and they must have approved it or you wouldn't have the Escape.
Now if it was a different HCPCS code like for a bilevel machine then yes...would need approval but to just go from the brick to a full data..it's rare that insurance company uses anything but HCPCS code.

It's your business what you want to put up with but I would have told this DME to kiss my butt a while back.
There's absolutely no reason in the world to make all this that difficult.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 pm

JQLewis wrote:O
As far as the relationship between the doctor and the DME goes, I've always assumed, cynic that I am, that all such relationships involve some kind of kickback scheme. Under the table no doubt, so there's no record to trip them up, but there's a definite quid pro quo involved. I could be wrong, of course, but in this case it seems the logical explanation. I'm very glad I found this site. I'm sure most people who have inferior equipment foisted on them have no idea there's anything wrong.
I am certianly glad for this forum but what you mention about doctors and DMEs is also why there seem to be so many shills, trolls, sockpuppets, and astroturfers here.
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!