OT: Hearing Aids

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KarenK

OT: Hearing Aids

Post by KarenK » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:56 pm

I have been wearing Phonak hearing aids for the last 5 years and am now in the market for something new and improved. My loss is mild to moderate, and my biggest problem is background noise when I am out with a group. I am test-driving Phonak AudeoQ 90s and Oticon Alta Pros at this time. The AudeoQs lasted 1 day because they were not programmed well, and the Oticons were suggested for better background noise control. So far I have not noticed anything different, except that maybe I can pick up conversations from other groups! Next week I am going to try Resound Versos. I am also interested in streaming music.

I know that there was another thread but it is about 1 year old and the technology changes quickly, so I am hoping some of you might have suggestions. I like my current Audi group, by the way.

Forgot to mention, I sue Android, so if i wanted to do the wireless thing I would have to switch or at least buy an iPod Touch. Argh!!
Last edited by KarenK on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

library lady

Re: OT: Hearing Aids

Post by library lady » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:03 pm

I like my Oticons... they're about 4 years old, still going strong. Before that I had Maico... I liked them too. I have had moderate to severe loss since childhood, started school with a great big old-fashioned thing.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:37 pm

I wear 2 Starkey's behind the ear type hearing aids. I'm 90% deaf in the left ear and 60% in the right and they allow me to hear real well, background noise is taken care off. I've used the brand for a number of years.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:08 pm

X2 for Starkey, got the top of the line this time and am ecstatic - grab them first thing in the morning. The second rate ones I had were just barely a help.

ladyjanern

Post by ladyjanern » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:25 pm

I just got my Verso 7 hearing aids a couple months ago and I'm very pleased. I can hear again! I have two programs on the aid and one is used to decrease background noise. I works pretty good but even better is the a remote control I use to change volume, programs and turn them off depending on the situation. My husband just got his hearing aids this week and he bought the newest Resound called the LINX. It is really high tech. It appears that technology changes by the day so I would advise to buy the best you can afford. You can't go wrong with Resound as it is highly respected company. Resound.com

Good Luck!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:46 pm

My single Phonak Solara BTE is a shade over 2 years old.
The Sound recover "feature" is a travesty--it ruins music and cannot be used while singing,
as it changes pitch of the "recovered" tones and cannot be programmed to do even octavejumps.
I will never get another aid with this horrible "feature". I hate it!
Edited for correct name of Sound recover (which I despise)

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

KarenK

Post by KarenK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:56 am

ladyjanern, can you use the ReSound remote without wearing it around your neck??

KarenK

Post by KarenK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:58 am

Library lady -- A question - how do you open and close the battery door with the aids on your ear??
library lady wrote:I like my Oticons... they're about 4 years old, still going strong. Before that I had Maico... I liked them too. I have had moderate to severe loss since childhood, started school with a great big old-fashioned thing.

library lady

Post by library lady » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:12 am

I don't - I take them off to change the batteries. I can do it physically, but it's really awkward.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

KarenK

Post by KarenK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:17 am

With the Phonaks I can turn them on and off without removing them....of course, they are not on me when I change the batteries!

library lady

Post by library lady » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:47 am

Yup, I turn mine on and off without removing them. Been doing it that way for about 40 years.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:18 am

With a BTE, it's a snap--just open the battery door just a crack and everything goes dead.
It still has to be off and in front of me to swap batteries.
I can't hurry, because that makes my hands shake.

KarenK

Post by KarenK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:27 am

But this model has the opening facing toward the ear, not away from it, AND it opens toward the ear, not away from it. Seems like a bad design.
chunkyfrog wrote:With a BTE, it's a snap--just open the battery door just a crack and everything goes dead.
It still has to be off and in front of me to swap batteries.
I can't hurry, because that makes my hands shake.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:41 am

Some designs may be intended to keep the wearer from doing that.
My first hearing aid had such a flimsy hinge that it broke twice, losing the door.
The last few months the door was held on with a piece of tape.
It was also a Phonak.

Citation4444

Post by Citation4444 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:27 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:My single Phonak Solara BTE is a shade over 2 years old.
The Sound recover "feature" is a travesty--it ruins music and cannot be used while singing,
as it changes pitch of the "recovered" tones and cannot be programmed to do even octavejumps.
I will never get another aid with this horrible "feature". I hate it!
Edited for correct name of Sound recover (which I despise)
While the sound recover feature is on by default in the Phonak HA's, it can be disabled by your provider. Simply tell them you want it turned off.
I have experience in this field and use Starkey Series 3 i110's as my main hearing aids. Starkey has a similar feature called SpectralIQ. I use this feature only for the program used when talking on the phone as I find it helps in understanding speech. I turn it off in all my other programs. I also have a set of Starkey Wii i110's that are also quite good, but now discontinued. Shortly, I'm going to get a set of Starkey's new "Halo" HA's that can be programmed/controlled with my iPhone (and other devices).