Last night was my first night and...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sharrykb

Last night was my first night and...

Post by Sharrykb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:30 am

It could be all in my head but I think I *might* feel slightly better this morning than I usually do first thing in the morning. I managed to make it 7.7 hours with the machine!!! So proud of myself!!! I was tempted to take it off after 4 hours but I told myself that isn't an option. My nostrils feel a little sore this morning but I expect that might be normal with nasal pillows?

I haven't done a SleepyHead report yet but the info on the display says:

Mask fit was good
AHI 1.5
Pressure 11.2
Leak 3L/min
Max Pressure is set to 20
Min Pressure is set to 5
Ramp 45 minutes
EPR Ramp only
EPR Level 2

Am I correct that "Pressure 11.2" means that is the highest pressure I required last night? If so, I am SO GLAD I insisted on getting an AUTO instead of accepting the titration results which said "straight pressure of 8". With an AHI of 1.5, how necessary is it for me to do the SleepyHead report today? Would I be okay waiting a day or two and then doing it?

lliann

Re: Last night was my first night and...

Post by lliann » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:42 am

Sharrykb wrote:It could be all in my head but I think I *might* feel slightly better this morning than I usually do first thing in the morning. I managed to make it 7.7 hours with the machine!!! So proud of myself!!! I was tempted to take it off after 4 hours but I told myself that isn't an option. My nostrils feel a little sore this morning but I expect that might be normal with nasal pillows?

I haven't done a SleepyHead report yet but the info on the display says:

Mask fit was good
AHI 1.5
Pressure 11.2
Leak 3L/min
Max Pressure is set to 20
Min Pressure is set to 5
Ramp 45 minutes
EPR Ramp only
EPR Level 2

I am somewhat new to this process too, but I wanted to commend you on a great attitude. Looks like you are off to a great start.
Am I correct that "Pressure 11.2" means that is the highest pressure I required last night? If so, I am SO GLAD I insisted on getting an AUTO instead of accepting the titration results which said "straight pressure of 8". With an AHI of 1.5, how necessary is it for me to do the SleepyHead report today? Would I be okay waiting a day or two and then doing it?

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:45 am

Good for you, Sharrykb!

I have the same machine, but I forget if the pressure of 11.2 is peak or average, but regardless, an AHI of 1.5 is good. You did well! I very much like my S9 Autoset. Good choice! I have a "full face" (covers nose and mouth) mask and in the beginning I would wake up and want to take it off in the middle of the night, that's normal, but as I got used to wearing the "stuff" on my face I "became one with it" and don't even notice now, it would feel weird without it.

BTW, I grew up in Oregon, born in Corvallis, raised there and in Eugene and Salem and worked for some years in Medford. I'm in MN and TX now, but just came back this week from visiting my 86 year old mom in Salem, bless her heart.

You are on the right track and the road to success!!

Max

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:54 am

I am assuming these numbers are off the machine's LCD screen??
If so, the 11.2 pressure is a 95% number and 95% numbers (leak or pressure) just mean that you were at OR below that number for 95% of the night. It doesn't mean that you were at 11.2 for 95% of the night. People tend to forget the "or below" part of the definition.

the 3 L/min leak number is also a 95% number and again...at OR below that number and 3 is a super great 95% number.
Leaks were minimal to none for pretty much all night for you to have such a low number. I am lucky to get to single digit 95% numbers. much less below 5. When you run your SleepyHead report I predict the leak line on the graph will be nearly flat at 0.0 for the bulk of the night.

AHI 1.5 and you kept the mask on 7.7 hours first night....that's awesome good.

Sore nostrils with the nasal pillows....yeah, sort of to be expected as the nostrils are pretty much virgin territory and not used to having anything rub up against them but anything more than very minor tenderness is unwanted and usually means the fit is not quite right...either nasal pillow size or the straps are a bit too tight.
If you use a dab of Lansinoh lanolin ointment at night and generously during the day it will help with that minor tenderness and help prevent any abrasions forming. But do watch those straps...especially that top one. This mask doesn't have to be tight to seal and at most very minor tenderness is all we would accept.

There's no rush on posting a SleepyHead report...it's going to be fairly boring with these numbers.

A word about fixed cpap pressures vs auto adjusting (APAP) pressures....some people do find that the pressure changes disturb sleep but some people sleep just fine through some wide ranges of changes. I routinely sleep through changes from 8 to 20 every night. It has always been that way. I never know about the change until I see a report. It makes it nice because that means I can use lower pressures for most of the night instead of higher pressures all the night.

Now some people like Den (Wulfman) find that the slightest pressure change disturbs sleep and they promote using cpap therapy and that's just fine. It is what is needed to work for them but just like not everyone can sleep through a hurricane like I can...not everyone even notices the changes.

I started out with APAP variable pressures myself and on my own. If I had been like Den and had a problem with them...then I would have done something different but I was lucky and I didn't. It sounds like you may be more like me and less like Den in how you respond to pressure changes...but just keep an eye on the wake ups during the night.
Remember the number one goal...get good solid sleep with minimal wake ups (for any reason)...all this numbers stuff is secondary goal.
We expect some wake ups during the night simply just from having a mask on our face...eventually that should go away once the brain realizes the alien on our face is our friend. I think it took me about 3 weeks to stop waking up often just to feel the mask to see if it was there.

So don't try to hit a home run first time at bat. Give yourself some time to adjust and time to learn about what you are seeing on your reports. Numbers are a nice affirmation that we are doing a good job but they aren't the only goal here.
Sounds like you are off to a really good start.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

library lady

Post by library lady » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:07 am

That is awesome, Sharry! It took me a couple weeks to get really good numbers, and my first week was horrible because of leaks from FF mask. I'm so happy that cpap has worked so well for you right away! You had an advantage over me because you found this board and its wonderful people before you got your machine, and I'm sure that made a big difference. I found this after about my fourth day, when I was desperate to find a way to make cpap work for me.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Sharrykb

Post by Sharrykb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:10 am

Thank you all!

Pugsy your reply is very informative, as usual. I did not know that the 11.2 was the 95% number as the display just says "Pressure 11.2". That is helpful to know.

My husband is less than impressed with this whole thing. This morning he told me it sounded like he was sleeping next to Darth Vadar all night. So I appreciate all the support I am getting here because I won't be getting it from him.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:16 am

Darth Vader my a$$. Your machine is one of the quietest machines out there and your mask has essentially no vent noise...sounds like he is just being a PITA.
Yeah, there is a little bit of machine noise with inhale and exhale but not much. Certainly not Vader category. He's probably making a mountain out of a mole hill but he might also be super sensitive to sounds so maybe some white noise from a fan or something might help him out.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sharrykb

Post by Sharrykb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:20 am

Pugsy wrote:Darth Vader my a$$. Your machine is one of the quietest machines out there and your mask has essentially no vent noise...sounds like he is just being a PITA.
Yeah, there is a little bit of machine noise with inhale and exhale but not much. Certainly not Vader category. He's probably making a mountain out of a mole hill but he might also be super sensitive to sounds so maybe some white noise from a fan or something might help him out.
Yes he is VERY sound sensitive. And a fan is an EXCELLENT idea!

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:59 am

Sharry,

Congratulations on a great night! I wish I had started with all the info data machines now provide, with that kind of readout, looks like you are doing wonderful. Kudos for keeping that mask on all night, I know that was hard but a great attitude like yours helps. Sounds like your husband is being a PITA, like Pugsy said. I sleep with a fan & I think white noise just helps with sleep & hopefully will keep his comments to a minimum.

The fact that you feel a little better is awesome! Keep up the great work.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Sharrykb

Post by Sharrykb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:21 am

jencat824 wrote:Sharry,

Congratulations on a great night! I wish I had started with all the info data machines now provide, with that kind of readout, looks like you are doing wonderful. Kudos for keeping that mask on all night, I know that was hard but a great attitude like yours helps. Sounds like your husband is being a PITA, like Pugsy said. I sleep with a fan & I think white noise just helps with sleep & hopefully will keep his comments to a minimum.

The fact that you feel a little better is awesome! Keep up the great work.

Jen
Jen, you and Pugsy are correct - he is being a PITA! He has a very negative opinion of CPAP and thinks it is a complete waste of time and money. His dad and grandmother and my dad are all CPAP dropouts so he assumes I will be too. I hope to prove him wrong because then maybe he will consider going in for a sleep study for the sleep apnea I'm convinced he has.

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:00 am

Pugsy wrote:I am assuming these numbers are off the machine's LCD screen??
If so, the 11.2 pressure is a 95% number and 95% numbers (leak or pressure) just mean that you were at OR below that number for 95% of the night. It doesn't mean that you were at 11.2 for 95% of the night. People tend to forget the "or below" part of the definition.

the 3 L/min leak number is also a 95% number and again...at OR below that number and 3 is a super great 95% number.
Leaks were minimal to none for pretty much all night for you to have such a low number. I am lucky to get to single digit 95% numbers. much less below 5. When you run your SleepyHead report I predict the leak line on the graph will be nearly flat at 0.0 for the bulk of the night.

AHI 1.5 and you kept the mask on 7.7 hours first night....that's awesome good.

Sore nostrils with the nasal pillows....yeah, sort of to be expected as the nostrils are pretty much virgin territory and not used to having anything rub up against them but anything more than very minor tenderness is unwanted and usually means the fit is not quite right...either nasal pillow size or the straps are a bit too tight.
If you use a dab of Lansinoh lanolin ointment at night and generously during the day it will help with that minor tenderness and help prevent any abrasions forming. But do watch those straps...especially that top one. This mask doesn't have to be tight to seal and at most very minor tenderness is all we would accept.

There's no rush on posting a SleepyHead report...it's going to be fairly boring with these numbers.

A word about fixed cpap pressures vs auto adjusting (APAP) pressures....some people do find that the pressure changes disturb sleep but some people sleep just fine through some wide ranges of changes. I routinely sleep through changes from 8 to 20 every night. It has always been that way. I never know about the change until I see a report. It makes it nice because that means I can use lower pressures for most of the night instead of higher pressures all the night.

Now some people like Den (Wulfman) find that the slightest pressure change disturbs sleep and they promote using cpap therapy and that's just fine. It is what is needed to work for them but just like not everyone can sleep through a hurricane like I can...not everyone even notices the changes.

I started out with APAP variable pressures myself and on my own. If I had been like Den and had a problem with them...then I would have done something different but I was lucky and I didn't. It sounds like you may be more like me and less like Den in how you respond to pressure changes...but just keep an eye on the wake ups during the night.
Remember the number one goal...get good solid sleep with minimal wake ups (for any reason)...all this numbers stuff is secondary goal.
We expect some wake ups during the night simply just from having a mask on our face...eventually that should go away once the brain realizes the alien on our face is our friend. I think it took me about 3 weeks to stop waking up often just to feel the mask to see if it was there.

So don't try to hit a home run first time at bat. Give yourself some time to adjust and time to learn about what you are seeing on your reports. Numbers are a nice affirmation that we are doing a good job but they aren't the only goal here.
Sounds like you are off to a really good start.
Is your maximum pressure 20cm? Quoting you: I routinely sleep through changes from 8 to 20 every night. My current pressure is 18cm which to me is a lot.

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
04/18/14

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:16 am

When hubby complains about the noise, tell him to be afraid-very afraid;
treating your apnea may enhance your libido. If his is not up to the challenge, he has much to fear.
Men, especially, often find that cpap can have desirable effects "below the waist".

Jack_Russel_Fan

Post by Jack_Russel_Fan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:33 am

chunkyfrog, you are correct. I found after a short while using bipap and O2, things did improve below the waist!

Machine: PRS1 760P

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:34 am

Stevoreno_55 wrote:Is your maximum pressure 20cm? Quoting you: I routinely sleep through changes from 8 to 20 every night. My current pressure is 18cm which to me is a lot.
When I was using the APAP machine my maximum pressure setting was indeed 20 cm and the reports told me that I was pushing it fairly often on a sporadic basis..didn't stay there all the night but maybe 20 minutes or so and usually in what appeared to be REM stage sleep where it is documented that my OSA is worse and that I often need more pressure than at the other sleep stages.

I am now using the S9 Adapt.. with the maximum of 25 and I see it hit 22 or so pretty much every night and my IPAP minimum is around 8.6...so it goes from EPAP 5.6 and IPAP 8.6 to IPAP 22 in about 20 seconds. Doesn't stay there horrible long though.
So it's up and down often during the night and I never know it until I see the report.

The regular APAP machines don't increase the pressure so fast..takes much longer than 20 seconds both going up and down.

18 cm pressure on a fixed cpap machine ...that is a LOT of pressure to have to deal with on a continual basis. I know people do it on a cpap machine but I think that a bilevel machine would be hugely more comfortable at pressure needs like you have.

Sharrykb

Post by Sharrykb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:07 am

chunkyfrog wrote:When hubby complains about the noise, tell him to be afraid-very afraid;
treating your apnea may enhance your libido. If his is not up to the challenge, he has much to fear.
Men, especially, often find that cpap can have desirable effects "below the waist".

Oh far from being afraid, my husband would be THRILLED if this has a positive effect on my libido.

Now if he were to start CPAP therapy and it increased his libido I would be terrified! He doesn't need any help in that department at all!!!