Home sleep study vs sleep lab

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Scootergirl

Re: Home sleep study vs sleep lab

Post by Scootergirl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:54 am

Stevoreno_55 wrote:
gsbuck524 wrote:I do realize that observation in a sleep lab is good.. i have restless leg syndrome and only slept 45 minutes in the sleep lab test all night. But they did put me in a room that had an awful old hospital bed, extra wires on me, and that awful gummy stuff all in my hair. I was so uncomfortable! Nothing like home, no remote control for tv and had to go to bed two hours earlier than usual due to techs scheduling needs. For the apnea i think the home test makes more sense for me. Just wondering what others might have done one and their experience. Thanks for your input.
You must not have had that many sleep studies just from reading your comments. Let me see if I understood you right, you went to a lab to be tested for sleep apnea; you were put into a room with a small bed that wasn't comfortable which is a legitimate reason to complain but you were also not pleased with the room because there was no remote for the TV? Most labs that I've been tested in were not set up like the Marriott but I was there for one thing; to be tested for sleep apnea and after I was wired up; electrodes glued to my head; belts around my stomach; wires running everywhere else I did not want to watch TV; I couldn't if I wanted to because my room didn't have one; the waiting room at my testing facility didn't even have one.

How's this for a complaint; on the first night of my 2 night study; in a facility that could test 4 patients a night and I was the only patient in the house that first night; the tech who was working that night took me to my room; it was 11:30 p.m. The tech began to turn the covers on my bed back and there was hair; skin particles; you name it; it was there. I asked the tech to put me in one of the other rooms so I followed her down the hall and as we went from room to room and the tech pulled the covers back on the other beds their linens also hadn't been changed so I told the tech nicely to either call housekeeping and get someone to change the linens on one of the beds but if she couldn't or wouldn't just unlock the door so I could get out and go home.

The tech decided to change the linens. Now that's something worth complaining about which I did. As for the home study verses the facility study; I've never done a home study; as uncomfortable as they are I will still prefer to be tested at a lab instead of being issued a machine with a kit and a set of instructions and sent home where I'd probably not follow the instructions right and end up messing up my test results. By the way that lab where I was tested at back in 2007 closed a month later; my complaint about their conditions wasn't the first one that had been filed again them but it was the most vocal so I was told by the agency that forced them to close.

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
04/18/14
I don't know how many sleep tests you've had. I've had two - the first was just as uncomfortable as the OP's....hospital room, no tv, very uncomfortable. I understand what the OP is saying - for a test that requires you to SLEEP, you should be as comfortable as possible. My last test was at a very nice sleep lab - clean room, regular bed, tv, private bathroom. I was told that because it is so important that you sleep some during these tests, they strive to make is as close to home and your regular routine as possible. After I was wired up, I was told I didn't have to go to sleep right away, but that they wanted to start their testing at 11. I had the TV on and watched it until I relaxed, then I shut it off. They also let me turn it on again when they put the mask on me at 2 am. It helped quell the panic. I don't think the OP is expecting too much to be comfortable and if they can handle an at home sleep study, more power to them. At least they don't have to worry about the conditions of the linens, like you did - btw - that's horrible!

gsbuck

Post by gsbuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:48 am

Stevereno55: You had a horrible place for a sleep study. The reason I would have like a remote is so that one all wired up, etc. there was no way to get out of bed, and I had to go "to sleep" at 9:00 rather than the 11:00-11:30 I normally would. I think you might want to Google the name of the home study tests I mentioned trying, but I would rather give the names in private message for the forum's sake. Let me know and I will give them to you...very impressive. I would do the home study over your lab's conditions any day!

gsbuck

Post by gsbuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:52 am

Stevereno55: After I posted the last response, I notice that you are on the MS gulf coast. My cousin (more like a nephew) has a medical distirbutorship in
Gulfport, MS, and I finally contacted him even though he is technically out of my territory. Good reputation, so if you want to find out more, message me.
Gayle

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:06 am

I had a home sleep test. Chest band, nasal cannula, thing on the finger. Where I was that was the first step. If it showed vanilla OSA you got a prescription for cpap, if not then you got the whole deal sleep lab. Worked fine for me.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:46 pm

Scootergirl wrote:
Stevoreno_55 wrote:
gsbuck524 wrote:I do realize that observation in a sleep lab is good.. i have restless leg syndrome and only slept 45 minutes in the sleep lab test all night. But they did put me in a room that had an awful old hospital bed, extra wires on me, and that awful gummy stuff all in my hair. I was so uncomfortable! Nothing like home, no remote control for tv and had to go to bed two hours earlier than usual due to techs scheduling needs. For the apnea i think the home test makes more sense for me. Just wondering what others might have done one and their experience. Thanks for your input.
You must not have had that many sleep studies just from reading your comments. Let me see if I understood you right, you went to a lab to be tested for sleep apnea; you were put into a room with a small bed that wasn't comfortable which is a legitimate reason to complain but you were also not pleased with the room because there was no remote for the TV? Most labs that I've been tested in were not set up like the Marriott but I was there for one thing; to be tested for sleep apnea and after I was wired up; electrodes glued to my head; belts around my stomach; wires running everywhere else I did not want to watch TV; I couldn't if I wanted to because my room didn't have one; the waiting room at my testing facility didn't even have one.

How's this for a complaint; on the first night of my 2 night study; in a facility that could test 4 patients a night and I was the only patient in the house that first night; the tech who was working that night took me to my room; it was 11:30 p.m. The tech began to turn the covers on my bed back and there was hair; skin particles; you name it; it was there. I asked the tech to put me in one of the other rooms so I followed her down the hall and as we went from room to room and the tech pulled the covers back on the other beds their linens also hadn't been changed so I told the tech nicely to either call housekeeping and get someone to change the linens on one of the beds but if she couldn't or wouldn't just unlock the door so I could get out and go home.

The tech decided to change the linens. Now that's something worth complaining about which I did. As for the home study verses the facility study; I've never done a home study; as uncomfortable as they are I will still prefer to be tested at a lab instead of being issued a machine with a kit and a set of instructions and sent home where I'd probably not follow the instructions right and end up messing up my test results. By the way that lab where I was tested at back in 2007 closed a month later; my complaint about their conditions wasn't the first one that had been filed again them but it was the most vocal so I was told by the agency that forced them to close.

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
04/18/14
I don't know how many sleep tests you've had. I've had two - the first was just as uncomfortable as the OP's....hospital room, no tv, very uncomfortable. I understand what the OP is saying - for a test that requires you to SLEEP, you should be as comfortable as possible. My last test was at a very nice sleep lab - clean room, regular bed, tv, private bathroom. I was told that because it is so important that you sleep some during these tests, they strive to make is as close to home and your regular routine as possible. After I was wired up, I was told I didn't have to go to sleep right away, but that they wanted to start their testing at 11. I had the TV on and watched it until I relaxed, then I shut it off. They also let me turn it on again when they put the mask on me at 2 am. It helped quell the panic. I don't think the OP is expecting too much to be comfortable and if they can handle an at home sleep study, more power to them. At least they don't have to worry about the conditions of the linens, like you did - btw - that's horrible!
I've had a total of five 2 night studies in an outpatient lab since my first one in 1999 and I'm about to have my sixth one although I don't know at this time if my next one will be another 2 night one or a split night one. I imagine my insurance company will be the one to determine which study I can have. My doctor has already told me he plans to order another 2 night study.

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
04/19/14

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:22 am

As for the home study verses the facility study; I've never done a home study; as uncomfortable as they are I will still prefer to be tested at a lab instead of being issued a machine with a kit and a set of instructions and sent home where I'd probably not follow the instructions right and end up messing up my test results.
Seriously, the home test I did was pretty "idiot proof". You strap the unit to your arm with Velcro and slip two fingers into probes. That's it. Anyone who can follow the directions to set up a user name here and post can surely follow those directions. And Kaiser makes you sit through an hour long class where they explain and demonstrate how to do this. It's not hard!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

space45

Post by space45 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:22 am

would not both be better?
by doing both you would get a better pix of what is going on. at home better sleep and at lab better equipment. I see a upside to both, so do both. the home one is cheap so it should be no big deal and give much better data to work from.

I would love to have my own sleep lab so I can see each night now things went and how doing what ever effected my nights sleep. like going days with out coffee or having coffee and going straight to bed. what is the effect, what happens and can one find out why. there is so much to find out. if our PAP data is cool and fun what about other data like EEG and ECG and what ever else one can setup. I would love to make hardware and have someone do the software to make a wonderful home sleep lab setup.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:59 am

space45 wrote:I would love to have my own sleep lab
Stan, check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68747&p=638020&hilit=+build#p638020 and others in my signature

ubnoxus

Post by ubnoxus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:25 pm

LSAT wrote:I think you just had a rotten sleep lab. Many are like hotel rooms with all the amenities.
Was going to say the same thing. The 3 labs I have been to had select comfort and tempurpedic beds, very nice flat screen TVs and satellite, remote at the bed side. The rooms were very quiet and dark. Also scheduled me for my normal bed time, not around their schedule so I was comfortable and ready to sleep.
Using Tapatalk

houndlover

Post by houndlover » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:39 pm

Wow, I've had two sleep tests. My first was before 'home testing'. It was in an office park. During the day you'd of never guessed people slept there all night. Queen sized bed, TV, Private bath. The one I just had was on the outpatient wing of the hospital so there wasn't any outside noise. Full sized air-adjustable mattress, lazy boy recliner, mini kitchen with drinks and snacks. This time I was even allowed to keep the TV on all night. That was awesome cause I am terrified if I wake up in the dark. Had a private bath because the lab wasn't full, otherwise you shared with one other person.

I think home testing might be ok, but I know that I am a crazy sleeper and things had to be readjusted a few times in the night. I know my titration wasn't 100% accurate as I was forced to lay on my back and I'm a side sleeper. I was really hurting by the end of the night but it at least gave my doctor a starting point.

Calvinford

Post by Calvinford » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:45 am

I had a total of three tests. First one was a wear at home apnea link. It was fully covered by insurance so I did it, just to see if I was serious enough to take the 2nd step. Well, I was so I had the clinic stay, twice. First just to diagnose my apnea and the second for the titration. Thank God I remembered to ask my doctor for an Ambien for the 2nd test... I slept much better. First time I couldn't sleep in the strange room, strange bed, wired up like a robot, knowing they can see me on the camera, etc. Ambien 2nd time and it was "goodnight sweet prince". Woke up on my own after 8 hours, feeling rested... it blew my mind really. Made me look forward to my CPAP machine.

gsbuck

Post by gsbuck » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:51 am

Glad you had a good experience with both type of tests! I took a 10 mg Ambien the night of my test, and thought I was asleep, but the doctor said I only slept 45 minutes the whole night!

ironhands

Post by ironhands » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:57 am

Simple answer - It's not always apnea.
While a home test is cheaper, it's cheaper for a reason. It doesn't do nearly as much to determine potential sleep issues, and as I'm sure other have pointed out, it won't help anyone determine things like RLS, snoring, and bunch of other issues. If you get a positive from a home test, and you're still symptomatic afterwards, you've wasted the first test. It's handy because it's fast and easy, but if you want to be more sure, a full PSG will be better.

gsbuck

Post by gsbuck » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Interesting and true, but because I had RLS so bad per dr phone call, I just wonder how much is apnea and how much RLS interupting my sleep? How can I find out?

ironhands

Post by ironhands » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:58 pm

gsbuck wrote:Interesting and true, but because I had RLS so bad per dr phone call, I just wonder how much is apnea and how much RLS interupting my sleep? How can I find out?
The only solid way is to do a PSG using a PAP to keep the apnea under control, but a PSG done even without the PAP will still be able to show which is more severe. If the PSG only shows your apnea is ~6-7 AHI but the RLS causes 30 arousals an hour, treatment for both is "easy". What would be awful is having both issues in a moderate or severe state. The PSG would reveal how much you're spending in each phase of sleep, and as far as I've seen, there are NO home kits that can effectively track the neurological events. There are some consumer devices that do, but they're certainly not medical grade.