Innovative ways to seal your masks?????

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DAG

Innovative ways to seal your masks?????

Post by DAG » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Has anyone found any other way to stop leaks, say, with some type of 'sticky' substance that could be spread on the mask and would stick to the face? There is a product called, "New Skin" that is used to cover scratches, etc. Has anyone tried this for sealing? There just has to be something out there that can be used for this business. Any ideas?

library lady

Re: Innovative ways to seal your masks?????

Post by library lady » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:22 pm

Have you tried mask liners? Somewhere on the "net" there is a pattern for a DIY liner that you can use to make your own from old t-shirts....leaks are a problem, I agree, and mask liners are what I use.. and I do make my own after spending some $ on my first trial of them.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

DAG

Post by DAG » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:24 pm

library lady wrote:Have you tried mask liners? Somewhere on the "net" there is a pattern for a DIY liner that you can use to make your own from old t-shirts....leaks are a problem, I agree, and mask liners are what I use.. and I do make my own after spending some $ on my first trial of them.
Yes, I've tried them. I have found that I need to tighten them down so much that my face hurts not long afterwards.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:30 pm

The best liner is from padacheek.com....She also has anti-leak straps for ff masks.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 pm

I would NOT use New Skin, I use that to seal in cuts on fingers when sewing, crafting, etc. It creates a waterproof seal, BUT it peals & it contains some strong stuff, it smells like paint thinner & burns like fire when applied to a cut. I don't have it handy to read the ingredients, but I'm sure it would ruin a mask!

There is something I read here, the waterproof stuff scuba divers use to seal their masks when diving. Not sure of contents of that either, but it might work.

My best suggestion for sealing a FFM or nasal mask would be Pad A Cheek liners. If these didn't work for you, I'd suggest keep trying masks until you find the one that works for you. My hubby tried until he found the right FFM, the Philips Respironics FullLife mask. Everyone is different, for me I'm loving the AirFit P10.

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Mask liners help distribute rim leakage to keep it quiet.
An important trick to prevent large leaks is to prevent creases, which make for really bad leaks.
Leaky creases are caused by cinching down a mask that doesn't really fit,
or a collapsing degraded silicone seal.

DAG

Post by DAG » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:41 am

jencat824 wrote:I would NOT use New Skin, I use that to seal in cuts on fingers when sewing, crafting, etc. It creates a waterproof seal, BUT it peals & it contains some strong stuff, it smells like paint thinner & burns like fire when applied to a cut. I don't have it handy to read the ingredients, but I'm sure it would ruin a mask!

There is something I read here, the waterproof stuff scuba divers use to seal their masks when diving. Not sure of contents of that either, but it might work.

My best suggestion for sealing a FFM or nasal mask would be Pad A Cheek liners. If these didn't work for you, I'd suggest keep trying masks until you find the one that works for you. My hubby tried until he found the right FFM, the Philips Respironics FullLife mask. Everyone is different, for me I'm loving the AirFit P10.
Thanks for this suggestion about what 'scuba divers' use and that got me searching around. This then is what I ended up finding and it is made specifically for CPAP users! Check it out: http://www.manta.com/cp/mrprkp8/502e5db ... p-mask-gel and let me know, please, if anyone has tried it AND what the results were before I purchase a tube. Thanks!

Last edited by DAG on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:47 am

DAG, that product is showing as discontinued as of April 4. The stuff scuba divers use is a silicone mask sealer. It works very well. You only use a small amount, so a small pot is lasting me a long time.

DAG

Post by DAG » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:51 am

SleepyToo2 wrote:DAG, that product is showing as discontinued as of April 4. The stuff scuba divers use is a silicone mask sealer. It works very well. You only use a small amount, so a small pot is lasting me a long time.
I had the wrong link for this product. I have since changed it so try it again and you will find where it is being made. But, I'm interested in what you are talking about. Can you give me an exact name for this product? There is a dive store here in town and will then check it out today.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:13 am

DAG: I think that finding a sealing-type paste is the wrong way to go. You will eventually have to clean that stuff off the mask and I'll bet it won't all come off. To me, padacheek liners were very comfortable, but I could not control the leaks. Though my leak rates were in compliance (lookin' at Pugs... ), any leak rate has become a mental block for me. It was mentioned here in prior posts about finding the right mask that doesn't leak. I think that's the answer to your problem. I am convinced that there is a mask out there in mask-land that doesn't leak and is comfortable for everybody. You have to journey down that road to find it. There are not any short cuts on that journey.

Sheriff

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:35 am

I read somewhere about getting silicone ear plugs and re-forming them into longer "strings", that could be stuck to the face around the mask. Worked somewhat for me.

Rstokes

Post by Rstokes » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:46 am

+ 1 for Pad-a-cheek.

Also some Vaseline can be useful (not tried it myself, but others love it).
Machine: REMStart System One Series 60 APAP with Heated Tube
Mask: F&P Simplus with PAD-A-CHEEK (Excellent may I add)
Humidifier: System One Series 60
Accessories: PR S1 'Vanity Plate', CPAP hose holder & a sanitary towel borrowed from my wife

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:30 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:Though my leak rates were in compliance (lookin' at Pugs... ), any leak rate has become a mental block for me. I

You sound a bit gun shy.
Hey, guess what I have in my arsenal to try out...just haven't had a chance to get it all set up...yep..your FitLife mask in a small size. Initial tests...it's the head gear at the bottom of my skull which may be a deal breaker because it messes with my neck too much.
I just want to test it out one night just to experience "the mask of last resort" thinking of you every time I look at it.

To OP here...the scuba divers stuff was discussed a while back and someone actually did try it and reported good results but I don't remember the name of the product or when/who that discussion here transpired...and no time to look it up at the moment.
I don't suggest vasoline though except in rare emergency. It is petroleum based and I have read that repeated exposure of the silicone in the masks to petroleum based products can cause the silicone to degrade...shorten the life of the cushion.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:37 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sheriff Buford wrote:Though my leak rates were in compliance (lookin' at Pugs... ), any leak rate has become a mental block for me. I
may be a deal breaker because it messes with my neck too much.

Never thought about the "pressure" on the neck. I do use the padacheek strap covers for the mask... helps a lot.
thinking of you every time I look at it.

Yea, well... try a smoke a cigaret with this mask on!! :mrgreen:

DAG

Post by DAG » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Ok all of you leaky maskers, I've come across a most unique way to seal a leaky mask and you may find it here: http://www.cpapseal.com/home. They have a video there that you will want to review. I'm going to order one and try it UNLESS someone here tells me that they've tried it and it doesn't work. dag