how much is a wireless S9 network adaptor worth to you

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

how much are you willing to pay for a wireless S9 network adapter?

$10
13%
$15
No votes
$20
38%
$25
13%
$30
No votes
$40
13%
$50
13%
$75
13%
$100
No votes
$150
No votes

Total votes: 8

zoocrewphoto

Re: how much is a wireless S9 network adaptor worth to you

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:12 pm

space45 wrote:
I have gone bust at times, I know the feeling all to well, was living in my car for a bit and had to sell it to settle a debt. only had the shirt on my back and the clothes I could carry. life is learning from failures.
not to worry about the rest, you still did not get the point, you were inferring I was encouraging or wanting you to say more then you would be willing to pay, the whole point was for you to say what you could or would pay for it, not some artificially high number as that does me no good as well. I hope now you understand the point of the poll.

sorry to hear your in a tight spot, I feel for you as I have walked the walk on that one

Not at all. I never assumed you wanted me to say I would pay more than I would. I voted on the poll. $20. I'd be willing to pay that much, and nothing more. I posted WHY that is the most I would pay. When you have a product to sell, you need to know who your market is, and why they want it. Since this is an item of convenience and people can do the task themselves, then it is not something people will want to spend a lot of money for.

I did not misunderstand your poll. I think you are misunderstanding the responses. Or the need for the "not interested" response.

What I didn't understand was your Darwin Award comment. I think you meant to say that I wasn't keeping up with the times and technology evolves. But that would be evolution. The Darwin awards are not about competition of the fittest. It is about stupid people killing themselves by accident.

If this is a hobby for you, by all means, have fun with it. But if you are hoping to make products that people want, then you need to make sure people actually want them. Enough to pay for them. And enough to pay a price that will cover the costs.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

space45

Post by space45 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:25 pm

you seem like a nice person and I wish you the best of luck, hope you get a better paying job.

my wife is into photography as well.

been on a PAP machine long?

BTW it is nor was not a hobby or a living it was something to do to help others out and try to give to the sleep apnea community. sort of non profit thing to help out if someone needed or wanted it

space45

Post by space45 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 pm

sorry for the snide replies, just have to get over things and move on

I was really hoping to get thing going and have a very cool setup that could be done by others. hate to see hard work wasted.
would have been nice to help others save money and still have a unit or mask parts or complete masks, hard to imagine how things really are. anyways, waking up and not smelling the coffee. not fun. not happy with doc as well. what a waste of time and money.

anyways, have fun and take care

Sharrykb

Post by Sharrykb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:48 pm

space45 wrote:sorry for the snide replies, just have to get over things and move on

I was really hoping to get thing going and have a very cool setup that could be done by others. hate to see hard work wasted.
would have been nice to help others save money and still have a unit or mask parts or complete masks, hard to imagine how things really are. anyways, waking up and not smelling the coffee. not fun. not happy with doc as well. what a waste of time and money.

anyways, have fun and take care
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe one of the reasons why people aren't jumping on your bandwagon is BECAUSE of your snide remarks?

Sharrykb

Post by Sharrykb » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:00 am

By the way Space, if you were wanting to do this as a volunteer project, why would it matter what people were willing to pay for it? The fact that you were asking what people would be willing to pay for it is what gave me the idea that you were hoping it would be a profitable project, thus my comment that it wouldn't be worth it based on the votes that had been given at that point.

space45

Post by space45 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:27 am

I give up, I totally and completely give up.
how many time and how many ways do I have to say this. the depths of or lack of or inability of understanding the most simple of things knows no bounds, it is a bottomless pit, the great abyss of our time.
lets see if I can do this so even you understand

I AM / WAS DOING THIS FOR FREE, thing is do I use a $50 secure WIFI system or do I use a $1.50 wireless system that has no error checking or security and might/ will loose some data at times, but most of the time will work fine, or do I use a $9 one that has some error checking but no security? add to that the micro controller, do I use a small $5 one or a $35 one or a $95 one, and other parts are the same thing. I have to design, to do that I NEED TO KNOW MY PRICE LIMITS. like when you buy a car. you may like the Lamborghini car, but can not afford it, so you settle on a used clunker as that is all you can afford. do I design and make a Lamborghini or a clunker? I need a budget ( I know that is a hard concept to grasp now day, more so for governments) but I know a top of the line secure network fill not fly, to much money for what it does. now if I was making hundreds of thousands or millions of then, and it was for profit, I could spend lots of time cutting and scraping every last cent from the cost and still have a nice product in the end. there are lots of things needed when designing, like a list of prioritized goals and a budget, and resources to design, manufacture and distribute said product. all in a profitable way, all needed to be inside budget and on time if your going to have a profitable profit based biz, it is still the same in non profit, other then you have to raise the money first through donations, based on estimates of cost per unit, then do and have all the forementioned in place.

does that clear things up?

jaye8898

Post by jaye8898 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:48 am

space45 wrote:I give up, I totally and completely give up.
how many time and how many ways do I have to say this. the depths of or lack of or inability of understanding the most simple of things knows no bounds, it is a bottomless pit, the great abyss of our time.
I have to design, to do that I NEED TO KNOW MY PRICE LIMITS. I need a budget ( I know that is a hard concept to grasp now day, more so for governments)

So true, Space. I had no problem comprehending what information you were trying to gather. I didn't' participate until now because I saw the writing on the wall.....basically a lack of interest, and in some cases, understanding. We are not all techies but I'm for anything that makes the gathering and storage of data more effective and user friendly. I think using that card and pulling it out of the machine and then hoping to remember to put it back is archaic! It's an option I would definitely want.

Therefore, your poll actually achieved more than you hoped. You are able to come to the conclusion that in this particular situation, you should take a risk adverse stance!

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:50 am

space45 wrote:I am now starting to see how Sludge got to be so prickly ...
But Sludge is not prickly. He simply makes observations and assessments.

However, when people don't agree with them (or want to agree them), the common response is to twist things around and claim it must be Sludge with the problem.
You Kids Have Fun!!

Sharrykb

Post by Sharrykb » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:19 am

I AM / WAS DOING THIS FOR FREE, thing is do I use a $50 secure WIFI system or do I use a $1.50 wireless system that has no error checking or security and might/ will loose some data at times, but most of the time will work fine, or do I use a $9 one that has some error checking but no security? add to that the micro controller, do I use a small $5 one or a $35 one or a $95 one, and other parts are the same thing. I have to design, to do that I NEED TO KNOW MY PRICE LIMITS. like when you buy a car. you may like the Lamborghini car, but can not afford it, so you settle on a used clunker as that is all you can afford. do I design and make a Lamborghini or a clunker? I need a budget ( I know that is a hard concept to grasp now day, more so for governments) but I know a top of the line secure network fill not fly, to much money for what it does. now if I was making hundreds of thousands or millions of then, and it was for profit, I could spend lots of time cutting and scraping every last cent from the cost and still have a nice product in the end. there are lots of things needed when designing, like a list of prioritized goals and a budget, and resources to design, manufacture and distribute said product. all in a profitable way, all needed to be inside budget and on time if your going to have a profitable profit based biz, it is still the same in non profit, other then you have to raise the money first through donations, based on estimates of cost per unit, then do and have all the forementioned in place.

Yes, Space, that does clear it up! NOW I understand why you did this poll. I am sorry I assumed it was about how much you could make off of this idea. I have to admit that sometimes it is hard to follow some of your posts because the pertinent information sometimes gets lost in your snide remarks. There may be some merit to your idea but your attitude has completely turned me off to the project. You really can't go around insulting people and then expect them to get excited about your idea.

space45

Post by space45 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:51 am

Sharrykb wrote:

Yes, Space, that does clear it up! NOW I understand why you did this poll. I am sorry I assumed it was about how much you could make off of this idea. I have to admit that sometimes it is hard to follow some of your posts because the pertinent information sometimes gets lost in your snide remarks. There may be some merit to your idea but your attitude has completely turned me off to the project. You really can't go around insulting people and then expect them to get excited about your idea.
again, what part of I quite, am done, finished, all open source projects are canceled, do you not understand? it matters not now, I was warned that my release of info on how I did things could lead to someone getting hurt, or dead, I thought no way people are to smart for that, I was proved wrong. I now believe it could just happen and some how a finger would be pointed my way for giving them the idea. you have no idea just how much I hate having to do this, but I am way to old and have to much now to risk with today's sue the ass off of everyone as it could never be the fault of the guy the got hurt or killed doing some stupid thing. I am sorry but as stated before the risk reward is not good, all risk and all work and no reward that could pay my court cost as I was doing it all for free. some how some just could not understand that.
your being interested in it or not is completely irrelevant, as it will not be offered or any info release.

I have to admit reading my post can be a pain but not for your reasons, that has been a very resent development. I have explained why I have such a had time writing and communicating in general. if you read my early stuff they are not snide at all. you came in on the end of it all.

in my business I had front guys that deal with others and I do the work in the background, ether a partner or someone paid to do the job. now day I do biz on the net and no need to talk to others, not much anyways. same with managing a crew, I was one of the crew and had someone dealing with the others, or they were independent contractors, I love them.
Last edited by space45 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musculus

Post by musculus » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:17 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Ditto.
This is sounding more and more like the "student projects" we have been exposed to.
Less an educational exercise so much as a pretense for someone to get rich quick or at least feel like a big shot.
(I know, the sweet little frog gets mean when you poke her friends)
still doubt my training in psychiatry? Indeed I got none, however what I said was not nonsense.

Sharrykb

Post by Sharrykb » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:19 am

Space I apologize for missing that you were scrapping the idea because of liability issues. I guess I didn't read that post as carefully as I should have, probably because I was irritated that you had just called my post ridiculous. I now understand why you thought my post was ridiculous and if I had understood that you were just looking at costs and it had nothing to do with profitability, I would never have made that post.

I admit that I came to the game late. I was not aware of your communication issues so I apologize if my remarks about your attitude were harsh. You remind me a lot of one of my relatives. I've always thought he was insensitive and didn't care about other peoples thoughts or feelings. But maybe he has communication issues too.

I am sorry that liability issues have put an end to your project. It's a sad reality that the world we live in is very sue happy. It almost seems like they are SEARCHING for something to sue someone over.

djhall

Post by djhall » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:04 pm

Sludge wrote:
space45 wrote:I am now starting to see how Sludge got to be so prickly ...
But Sludge is not prickly. He simply makes observations and assessments.
Are these two separate things? I assumed "pricklyness" referred to what observations and assessments people chose to state and which ones were left unsaid. Out of honest curiosity, how does civility (formal politeness and courtesy) factor in to an environment like this? Is civility too high a standard for an internet forum? If a comment is honest and accurate, but impolite or phrased without courtesy, should we all refrain from saying it, or at least make an effort to phrase it as politely as possible?

I know there are a variety of opinions on the subject, but I am curious about the thoughts of those who are comfortable merely judging their comments merely for accuracy and don't feel the need to moderate what they say for civility as well. Is there a line of thought that believes open discourse without imposing civility leads to better communication or outcomes? Or is it just a nice standard but too much work to bother with? Or maybe it is a reciprocal thing... if you are civil to us, then we are civil to you, but if you aren't then we aren't either? I know it is way off topic, but I do find it fascinating trying to figure out how other people think and how they see the world.

70sSanO

Post by 70sSanO » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:18 pm

space45,

Sorry you took my remarks the wrong way. I guess I see CPAP as a way to be able to live life with all sorts of hobbies and activities. My life doesn't revolve around CPAP; except for those times when things go awry and I have to get the issues corrected.

As for your project my only advice is... do it.

My older brother is an electrical engineer and 30 years ago he was involved in off-road racing and came up with helmet radios so the driver & navigator could easily communicate with the chase vehicle. He installed a number of them but decided to not to officially go into business with it. Were his ideas used by others in their designs? I don't know. But I do know that he saw a need and he took the initiative to design something. He didn't first ask for price points or interest, he just did it.

You seem bright enough, and if you have good ideas, people will want what you have to offer.

Good luck with it.

John
AHI: 2.5
Central: 1.7
Obstructive: 0.3
Hypopnea: 0.5
Pressure: 6.0-8.0cm on back with cervical collar.
Compliance: 15 Years