This Has Gotten Scary

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jaye8898

Re: This Has Gotten Scary

Post by jaye8898 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:14 am

purple..2 wrote:i dislike taking mine to the sleep docs office as well. They take it out of my sight, and feel free to reprogram it. i think it worked better before THEY had it.
Isn't that the truth!!! I have a good mind to just take the card next time. They can always tell me what changes they want to make and if I agree, I'll do it at home!

70sSanO

Post by 70sSanO » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:20 pm

Sir NoddinOff,

You are so right. My main point is that if I really wanted to make my CPAP machine secure as possible when I travel I would look for something like a secure camera case, metal preferred, and either run an Abus or Kryptonite mini U-lock through a corner of the box, (have to drill a hole through the top and bottom of the box) and then attach a thick cable or even a hardened chain (if I was super paranoid and wasn't flying and having to dragging an additional 20 lbs) and attach it to the toughest thing in the room to cut. I don't use a humidifier, but if I did I might consider leaving it home. The goal is to make the thief have to use a 3' bolt cutter or a loud angle grinder just to get the box open.

As for my riding I have been riding on the roads on and off, more off, for 25 years. Only started to get on the trails last July and it is quite a change. At 62, even after losing 60 lbs, there are some descents and technical stuff, especially drops, that I don't have in intestinal fortitude to attempt. I've been riding in Orange County.

John
AHI: 2.5
Central: 1.7
Obstructive: 0.3
Hypopnea: 0.5
Pressure: 6.0-8.0cm on back with cervical collar.
Compliance: 15 Years

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 pm

I put a professional looking sign on my CPAP bag. Hasn't been touched yet.

Used Colostomy Bags

lliann

Post by lliann » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:50 pm

jaye8898 wrote:
Goofproof wrote: Stress will do almost as much damage as no xpap machine. The way to survive life is to have a plan, fate treats the prepared better than the un-prepared. Jim

This is excellent advise. Being a writer of horror stories, my imagination takes me to a place where the power goes out......for a long, long, time, due to one of those surges or whatever (need to research the tech stuff ) What would happen? How would those of us who need this equipment and others who need ventilators survive? It's amazing in the few short weeks that I've been back on cpap, I am totally dependent on it. I can't imagine ever sleeping without it again. I'm worried ( not really but concerned) that I don't have a generator or battery!! So yes, if you don't carry it with you, it definitely needs to be locked up!!!
I read a lot of dystopian novels so I totally know what you mean. I am not paranoid yet but I know untreated, this disease effects me in many ways. I suppose if I had to choose between a zombie apocalypse with power and a total grid failure apocalypse, I might have to go with zombies

This is what I think. If something is important to me, whatever my reasoning, but certainly if its a medical issue, then protecting my "stuff" is not up for discussion. Too many people exercise fuzzy boundaries, but I am not one.(but it took most of my life to learn that!)

I know I need to travel with my machine now too and wonder if one of those little travels ones can take care of me for a week or 2 as well or almost as well as my vpap?

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:42 pm

70sSanO wrote:Sir NoddinOff, As for my riding I have been riding on the roads on and off, more off, for 25 years. Only started to get on the trails last July and it is quite a change. At 62, even after losing 60 lbs, there are some descents and technical stuff, especially drops, that I don't have in intestinal fortitude to attempt. I've been riding in Orange County.

John
Looks like you're about 20 miles from San Clemente where Bike magazine has their CA headquarters, a great bunch of guys but they go thru editors like a lawnmower I used to do some NorCal trail coverage for them back in the day. Regarding the steep and technical stuff, try one of these, it makes it almost too simple :

A bit of twisted mt biker humor (my wife just bought me this):

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.