CPap and Leg Cramps???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
knothead

Re: CPap and Leg Cramps???

Post by knothead » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:15 pm

I have been on most all statins, they all give me cramps in my legs & feet. Finally told my Doc I quit.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:57 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:If the cramp happens anyway, the best way to handle it is to stretch the contracted muscle out.
I've crawled out of bed with a knot in my calf, and slowly stretched the muscle out by pulling my toes up and straightening my knee.
Massaging the knot helps too--but prevention is best.
---Bananas, quinine water, or just drinking enough regular water throughout the day.

I hadn't any let cramps in years. Then, a few weeks ago, I ate a banana and had a bad leg cramp in the morning. I'm sure that was just an ironic coincidence. More likely caused my a change in medication. I had another leg cramp about a week ago.

I usually just slowly stretch my leg and it calms down. It may be stiff for half a day or so, but tends to get better once I am walking around and moving more.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:55 am

As noted, statins are a common source of leg cramps. You might be getting them more frequently with CPAP because you sleep longer and stay stiller with CPAP than without it. Thus, without the leg movement you get a build up of lactic acid and 'Wham!".

Whenever trying to figure out the cause of a problem, always remember the diagnostic maxim:

"If you hear hoof beats, think horses!".

Sure. It might be zeebras. But horses are much more likely. But don't ignore the possibility of zeebras. As an example, a much rarer cause of leg cramps is due to problems with the central nervous system. If you told me you have ataxia (imbalance and uncoordinated muscle movements), it might be time to try a medication to help with Restless Leg Syndrome - a common problem with ataxia. But as the saying goes, horses (statins) are much more likely the source of these hoof beats.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:17 am

I take Potassium and Magnesium supplements. No more leg cramps!

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:10 am

I had leg cramps long before statins--if the cause is statins--SEE YOUR DOCTOR!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:15 am

I ran out of my magnesium supplement and the leg cramps came back with a vengeance. Back on them now, and the leg cramps are subsiding.

There's an acupressure point that can relieve a leg cramp--you press firmly on the spot between your nose and upper lip. I know it sounds crazy but it works! The frustrating thing is that with a full face mask I can't get to that spot when I have a cramp in bed.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

jaye8898

Post by jaye8898 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:08 pm

Janknitz wrote:I ran out of my magnesium supplement and the leg cramps came back with a vengeance. Back on them now, and the leg cramps are subsiding.

There's an acupressure point that can relieve a leg cramp--you press firmly on the spot between your nose and upper lip. I know it sounds crazy but it works! The frustrating thing is that with a full face mask I can't get to that spot when I have a cramp in bed.
Wow! I heard that from someone a long time ago...it really does help in conjunction with deep, slow, breathing. I am seeing my doctor next week and will ask her about the statins. I've been on it since diagnosed with diabetes as a "preventative" measure. . It has not happened again since that night. Started taking my magnesium supplement and was already taking potassium. Low in both.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:41 pm

sleeplessinaz wrote:I take Potassium and Magnesium supplements. No more leg cramps!
I take both - RX for the potassium & OTC for the magnesium & I still get awful leg cramps. I've asked my sleep dr & family dr both suggested quinine, since it worked for me when I bought it in a homeopathic med for leg cramps. I can no longer find the homeopathic stuff, but the tonic water is still working. I have done all of the gently stretching, massaging, walking, standing, squatting, & yes, even praying as in "please God help me!" & without quinine, I'm in hell from leg cramps. Maybe I'm just strange.

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 am

Anyone who has never experienced these debilitating muscle lockups has no clue. i gave up two so called friends because of event last sat..when later after i said to another friend about the cramps. they were making comments on FB like " i had a girlfriend once that had cramps" & another said " yeah we better mark this date down & see if he is pregnant in 30 days". O well ,i don't need that crap.
tim

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:26 am

Quinine used to be sold in tablet form. It was a very effective treatment for RLS and leg cramps. There were almost no negative side effects. It was a miracle drug for sufferers of these conditions.

Every couple of years, some idiot in this nation of nearly 300 million people, would take an entire bottle of tablets and die. There are 23 recorded instances of this over several decades.

So, twenty years ago, the feds outlawed this wonder drug. I am sure idiots continue to find other ways to kill themselves. But you can't have quinine tablets because of the assholes at the FDA. I hope every single one of them develops RLS!

BTW, the amount of quinine that is allowed in beverages is so small as to be useless for medical treatment.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:23 am

If statins are the cause of your muscle cramps, read this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/10717 ... -good.html
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 am

Janknitz wrote:If statins are the cause of your muscle cramps, read this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/10717 ... -good.html
interesting article !
i have a two week followup with my Orthopedic tomorrow after getting cortisone injected in knee. Think i will ask him about possibly stopping the 40mg simvastatin. two weeks ago he put me on B complex vit. ,& glucosomine & condroitin supplement... he also discussed a possible testosterone shot . don't know about that one ?
tim

thanks to Nick sleep HQ

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:24 am

Testosterone shot?
Be sure to ask where they want to stick the needle!

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:32 am

From what was just reading ...no way, sounds like BS

thanks to Nick sleep HQ

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:23 pm

DeadlySleep wrote: BTW, the amount of quinine that is allowed in beverages is so small as to be useless for medical treatment.
Perhaps that's why I have to drink almost a whole 1 liter bottle. I do get relief, but maybe its in my head, not my leg??? My leg says otherwise.

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**