New User

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jimitb2

Getting Used to it!

Post by jimitb2 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:44 pm

After reading your posting and some of the responses I felt I should email you. When you say you are using a cannula then I believe you are using what I thought was the nicest mask I'd found after struggling for almost a year but it turns out that it would not supply the proper amount of air. And it would dry out the mucas in your nose the wrong way. It drys it out into a hard lump that provides more blockage with new mucas. A mask that cover the nose or a full face mask may be what you need.

Yeah, like anything else it takes time to get used to it. Some people can do it easiar than others. I was and have not been one of them and have gone through several masks in my effort to find the right one. It's a struggle so hang in there and I recommend you move away from the cannula. But KEEP the humidifier or you may need to change to a warm humidifier. Depends on the temperature in your location. But the humidifier is a must. Keep it and change masks.

There is also another mask that I will be ordering soon and it is the one you fit in and breathe through your mouth. It has many advantages but you MUST use a humidifier with it or you can dry your throat out too much.

Just keep on truckin, dude, and you will get used to it eventually. I can't sleep a night without it now.

Good Luck!

Jimitb2

rested gal

good advice, Jade

Post by rested gal » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:07 am

Hi Jade,

I sure welcome any pointers that can help make this therapy more comfortable. You had some good advice for feline, as well as anyone who has tender skin. I wouldn't say I'm "tough-skinned" (what woman would want to say that!) but luckily I never hadn't any real trouble other than leaks and strap marks...grrrrr..... with the first mask I had, a Profile Lite - yuck.

Breeze and Activa now - the best of both worlds, imho.

felineperson3

A very belated response--

Post by felineperson3 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:04 pm

I am still learning my way around this site and I lose track of my posts. When I get a chance to sign on I just see the ones that come right up and I didn't know how to search for my old posts to see if I had received any answers. Even though it has been two months, I was so impressed when I saw all these answers and questions to me while I was struggling trying to find a delivery system that I could tolerate. To update and answer some of the questions that were posed to me, first I had the Nasal Aire Cannula with the prongs that fit into the nares which dried and caused severe burning of the mucosa even though I have and use the passover humidfier. Next I tried the Comfort Select Nasal Mask which caused severe irritation on the bridge of my nose plus leakage that plagued my sleep along with my new Resmed auto CPAP going AWOL and shooting up to pressures between 13 and 15 before I could even go to sleep so I knew this wasn't in response to apneic episodes. My supplier did not seem to be showing any concern or giving me proper support with the problems I was having until I told her that I felt that I should switch to another supplier who perhaps could help me resolve the issues I was having. She then decided she could make a home visit that very day, bring me a new machine, and let me try out the Mirage Swift pillow system. I love the Mirage Swift pillow delivery system in comparison to the other two I mentioned. The only problem that I continue to have now is a sinus issue. I have never had sinus problems, but I seem to have a constant "drippy" nose all throughout the day now. I do not feel congested--it is just a "clear watery faucet" type embarrasing nusiance thing. I have tried the saline spray which just seems to make it worse. The only thing that dries it up somewhat is Benadryl. I try to avoid a lot of OTC meds as I also have hypertension which I take medication for. I am still using my passover humidfier and was wondering if switching to the heated type humidifier would help this problem. I have learned so much from watching these boards and I do so appreciate all the replies to this post that I failed to see until tonight. Again, I apologize, but I did want to give you my thanks for all your help and responses.
God bless you all with sweet dreams and healthy breathing!!
Carley Image
"If God has brought me to it, He will bring me through it"--

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:16 am

Hi felineperson!

One way you can find your old posts to see if there's been an answer you missed is to scroll way up to the top of this page. Click "Search". Type your nickname in the "Author" box and hit Enter. You'll see a list of all topics containing posts by you.

The "wild card" asterisk * that's mentioned means, if you were looking for posts by felineperson3 and you couldn't remember exactly how she spelled her nickname or you'd forgotten her name had a "3" at the end of it, you could just type in feline* as the author's name. It would find posts by felinperson3 (along with anyone else whose nickname started with the word "feline".)

Want to find posts by: wading thru the muck!

Just type this for the author's name: *muck*

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:01 am

To find posts by a particular person you can also click on the profile tab for that person (located at the bottom of their post.) When you get to their profile you'll find view all posts by "xxx" click on it and there you are... no typing.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

felineperson3

Thanks

Post by felineperson3 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:02 am

Thanks for explaining how to find old posts. You have been most helpful. I like your nickname which tells a story in itself. Even with my limited exposure to this site, I have learned that both you & rested gal both have much to offer in your posts. Again, thanks!!
Carley Image
"If God has brought me to it, He will bring me through it"--

Big E

Post by Big E » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:04 pm

Good nights...and some bad nights. Mostly good for me...I have been on the 'hose' for about 9 weeks and am still learning. However, I am using the Breeze nasal pillows...it is working very well for me. I slept so GOOD last night!!

I did also have some "sore nares" after about four days of use...I discovered that I had the interface too TIGHT. I am having great luck with a more relaxed fit. Experiment...you will find the right combo! Good luck.

BigE