alarm

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zoocrewphoto

Re: alarm

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:20 pm

K8McP wrote:I thank those who took my question seriously. The only reason I asked the question on this forum was because I thought it might be a sympathetic audience, as well as maybe more knowledgeable than people who have no idea what a CPap is or what it is for. I will probably not come here again for answers, as it doesn't seem to be about helping others.

I am fairly new to this and was hoping to find support, not childish comments from someone who obviously has no empathy and treats others as if they are stupid. I feel sorry for anyone who cannot understand that a time will come when you need the support of others. How you have treated others will come back to you then.

Please don't leave. Most people here are great. This one person doesn't even want to register (or use their registered account if they have one), so this person does NOT represent us.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Bama Rambler

Post by Bama Rambler » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:24 pm

You have just witnessed the major downfall of minimally moderated forums that do not require people to sign up and be logged in before posting. People can and will post anything without regard for other people feelings. What you have to do is disregard whatever "guest" says and understand that they aren't here to try and help anyone.

As ZCP said, please stick around and let the regulars try and help you figure this out. There are those of us here that really want to help. And learn in the process.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Bama Rambler wrote:People can and will post anything without regard for other people feelings. What you have to do is disregard whatever "guest" says and understand that they aren't here to try and help anyone.
honestly
i was the only one who told her how to find out what the beeping meants
i am sure it is a lesson she will remember should it happen again

some people dont want to know the truth

in a heavily moderate forum you may never hear the truth

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:59 pm

OK guest,

The truth is you at being rude, snarky & are NOT being helpful to our new member who has a real problem. Members are trying to help. Take your snarky self elsewhere. You haven't registered after being asked to, so I just right you off as a trouble maker.

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

K8McP

Post by K8McP » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:41 am

okay, I will try again. Here is what happened:

My CPAP alarm went off in the middle of the night. It was very loud (woke my room mate up--she was in her room downstairs---both of us had our doors closed). I was startled--so pulled off my mask and hit the button to turn off the machine. I got up and checked the house for smoke (again, the alarm was loud--it sounded like a smoke alarm). When we found no issues, we both went back to bed. As I was drifting off to sleep, I suddenly realized that the alarm had stopped when I turned off my CPAP. (Maybe some people would have figured that out faster, but it took my brain awhile to wake up). I then checked my machine, but there was nothing on it to indicate what had happened. The display did say there have been NO large air leaks; in any case, I have heard that sound in the past and it is a beeping sound, not an ear splitting siren!

my question: is there anyone on here who may be able to tell me what the alarm meant? My machine is fairly old and doesn't have a lot of information that I can access. If anyone wonders, I have had an aneurism and there is a significant history of stoke in my immediate family, so I feel I have reason to have some concern.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:13 am

I would be having the machine checked out by someone who can trouble shoot these machines.
A noise coming from a cpap machine that can only be compared to a smoke alarm isn't at all common and I have never read or heard of that happening much less what caused it.

People that work on these machines have software to read the error codes that the machine produces.
Even if you didn't see an error code there is a good chance one was generated and stored in the machine's memory.

Besides...often all that is shown on the LCD screen is "Service Required" and not so much a specific code like in the old days.

You might contact these guys to see if they have any idea.
http://www.acbio.com/

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

K8McP

Post by K8McP » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:11 pm

thank you. I will check that site out. I am hoping it was a machine problem and NOT a "user" problem

BradL

Post by BradL » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:20 pm

I have what I think is the same problem. As absurd as it sounds I seem to have solved it by opening the unit, blowing the very thin layer of dust out with compressed air (for computers) and then sealing it again. So far no problems, it's stopping and starting exactly as expected.
Machine is long out of warranty so I really had nothing to lose.

Yeldarba

Post by Yeldarba » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Last night I had the same experience of what sounded like a smoke alarm and ripped my mask off and went looking for the fire then realized it was my cpap making the sound.. I'm taking my machine to a service depot today. Watch this space.

mamakk

Post by mamakk » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:40 am

I know this is an old question but I'm hoping one of the people who had this problem will see this.

Did you ever figure out the issue? This happened to me tonight. It's incredibly jarring. We also thought there was a fire alarm. Once e woke enough and our heart beats returned to normal we came to the conclusion it was the cpap (same kind as original user). I've got it on now to see if it does it again... not that I can go to sleep quickly with adrenaline still coursing through.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:50 am

mamakk wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:40 am
I know this is an old question but I'm hoping one of the people who had this problem will see this.

Did you ever figure out the issue? This happened to me tonight. It's incredibly jarring. We also thought there was a fire alarm. Once e woke enough and our heart beats returned to normal we came to the conclusion it was the cpap (same kind as original user). I've got it on now to see if it does it again... not that I can go to sleep quickly with adrenaline still coursing through.
Most likely an airleak squeal. There aren't any loud alarms in cpaps, now a couple of the ventilators do have a pretty loud alarm module that also has warning lights, but those are very rare.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:44 am

I think everyone but the anonymous guest took your question seriously and tried to help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:15 am

Zombie thread alert folks resurrected by someone having similar symptoms.
Any comments about old posts are likely to fall on deaf ears if referring to what was posted and the poster wasn't a member and logged in.
Part of the reason that guest posting is no longer allowed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:29 pm

And I thank you and the Goodmans for that most welcome change.
Most of us are indeed here to help others.