How often do you replace equipment?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
millich

How often do you replace equipment?

Post by millich » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:17 am

I got my new machine on Wednesday - the S9 Autoset - which made me happy. I told my husband I know I am a true hose head because of how happy it made me.

Anyway, after 4 1/2 years on CPAP, I had lost my guidelines as to how often medicare (& therefore my insurance) will pay for replacement parts. I was shocked at how often they approve things like new cushions and filters (2 per month of each), new tubing (every 6 months), a full new mask with headgear (every 6 months, too). I don't change mine even close to that. Shoot, I bought 2 tubes when I first started - so I could switch them out to let them dry completely after washing - and haven't replaced them since. Likewise, I only bought one new water chamber. New cushions? About every 3-4 months. A whole new mask? About every year and half. Of course, insurance paying for them doesn't mean they are free because of the co-pay.

How often do you replace your cushions, masks, filters, tubing, water chamber, etc???

Pugsy

Re: How often do you replace equipment?

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:33 am

millich wrote:How often do you replace your cushions, masks, filters, tubing, water chamber, etc???
tubing, water chamber...haven't replaced them. No need.

Filters I do replace fairly often because my house is old and dusty and I live out in the country and have pets in the house and I don't have a maid to do my house cleaning.
About once a month replacing the white fine filter.

Nasal pillows (since I don't use cushion type of mask) get replaced most often because they get ugly after months and months of use.
No need to replace even monthly.
My Tap Pap mask...I got it first week of March last year...and used it pretty much exclusively until mid Jan this year...with still the same set of nasal pillows that I started with.
Last month I realized I had misplaced one of the nasal pillows (they come separated) so I finally broke open a new package to use.

Pillow/cushion life depends a lot on a person's own facial oils and their own personal cleaning regiment. Some people barely get 2 weeks and some people might get a year or two..my own step sister used the same Swift FX nasal pillows for 18 months before she asked me "do you think maybe I might need a new set"

Headgear and mask portions where the pillows or cushions attach....only the stretchy part of the headgear might get old and tired. Most of the other parts are indestructible as long as common sense care is used so no critical need to replace unless something breaks.

I do think everyone should have a spare of everything if at all possible...just in case something breaks or the dog from hell (my Lizzie) decides that my Swift FX made a wonderful chew toy.
Even a plastic water tank..extra just in case one gets dropped and cracks or a big foot steps on it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.