The more I try, the worse it gets.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lliann

The more I try, the worse it gets.

Post by lliann » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:42 am

Sigh. Ok, I have been seriously trying everything to get my ahi's down (they are between 13 and 17 every night. ) I was doing ok at 15,10, 3.5 humidity. Had a sleep study and because I finally tried nasal masks, even with the deviated septum, they said I did well and lowered me to 13,8. (I really have no idea what those numbers even mean. I assume 13 in air in and 8 is air out?) Ti max 2 and ti min .3 and epap start 4.

Since that change in pressures, I can't get below 8 ahi back. I have raised the pressure back to 14,9 then 15, 9 but still high ahi's. I do have an appt with the sleep doctor 4/23 but the relationship between the sleep center and doctor is treated like some holy grail that I must not question. he fact that I am here shows I am the questioning kind.<g>

I don't know if this is enough info but is anything screaming why I am having trouble suddenly? (I have tried nasal pillow, mask, tap pap, chin stap, tape mouth and any and all variations thereof.. I have avoided going back to full face because it leaks so much and I seem to be able to tolerate nasal masks.)

Thanks

Pugsy

Re: The more I try, the worse it gets.

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:47 am

What is the event category breakdown of that high AHI?
Are you using software to see what is going on?
Can you post an image of a typical detailed nightly report ...include AHI and category breakdown, pressure graph and leak graph?
Don't know how...explained here with examples.
Screen shot thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81072&p=737779#p737779
If you don't know about software..SleepyHead works fine with your machine and I have links for information on it in my signature line.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lliann

Post by lliann » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:58 am

I wish I could Pugsy, but I have a MAC so I believe that does not work with Sleephead? Even though I have been around computers for years and am moderately intelligent (minus points for some aging and all those less than good sleep/oxygen nights) I seem overwhelmed and incapable of understanding once you all start talking data-ese. I really have committed myself to improving my health issues but I just have trouble navigating information unless its at the elementary level. Sigh.(yes I sigh alot<g>)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:07 am

SleepyHead has a Mac build that will work with your machine just fine.
Just go to the download link and look for "Jimbo's Mac build".

Without seeing the event category breakdown it's hard to offer an idea but if the events are primarily Obstructive Apneas and Hyponeas then what you need is a little more EPAP pressure..that's exhale pressure and the lower of your settings which sounds like it might be 8 cm. Increasing that IPAP (inhale pressure and the bigger number) isn't the way to go. More EPAP is needed.

If your AHI is primarily central in nature then we get to have a whole other discussion but the majority of people don't have issues with centrals. Centrals won't respond positively to pressure increases (either EPAP or IPAP) and can be made worse with pressure increases.

So it's real important to know the event category breakdown in deciding what to do.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lliann

Post by lliann » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:23 am

I did d/l jimbos link and of course my Mac won't install it because its 3rd party. I will see if I can change those settings. May take me a while, but I'll be back. Thank you so much Pugsy.

lliann

Post by lliann » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:34 am

OK, I undersestimated myself! Yea!! I went in my settings, temporarily told Mac to allow other software, got it installed, went back in and shut it off again. So now I am printing out instructions. I will study them (perchance to nap as I often do with reading<g.) and then I will see how far I can go before I bother you again. Go me!

lliann

Post by lliann » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Well I d'l'd sleepyhead for MAC. Then discovered I needed a card reader (yes, I am that dumb) My friend lent me hers. I tried to im[port and have no idea where folders are or root doohickeys. Sigh.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:00 pm

I am a Windows person and never used a Mac so I don't know where to tell you to look for the root drive where the card reader is attached.
Lots of Mac users here though and hopefully one will stop by and explain how to get there.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:15 pm

lliann wrote:Well I d'l'd sleepyhead for MAC. Then discovered I needed a card reader (yes, I am that dumb) My friend lent me hers. I tried to im[port and have no idea where folders are or root doohickeys. Sigh.
lol, You are not dumb! I had no idea that my Mac has a built-in card slot until I got diagnosed with sleep apnea! I don't think all models have them though.

I haven't had to deal with your current dilemma so sorry I can't be much help there, but while you're waiting for someone to help, you can get some of the event breakdown from your machine. If you haven't seen it yet, check out the video tutorial that I have linked to below my machine listing. You will learn a lot about how to get access to important info. As a first step I think we'd like to know what your CA numbers are (CA = clear airway aka central apnea).

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Don't have a card slot (iMac), but a reader and short USB cable.

lliann

Post by lliann » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:58 am

thank you everyone. I will appreciate any help. I have a desktop mac so no card slot. But I do have an old acer laptop that I bought over 2 years ago just for this sleepyhead purpose. (ok, I know, but I really have turned over a new leaf) So I dug that sucker out and am charging it now and will see if I can get sleephead on the pc.

I got very confused with the Mac patch talk. This is going to be a learning process but I need to. I am 65 and the apnea is not getting better. I can feel the difference even with not great ahi's And I need to learn about these central apneas. I will be doing a lot reading here soon. God knows, the info is all on here. You guys are amazing in your committment.!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:05 am

lliann wrote:I got very confused with the Mac patch talk.
The Patch file for the Macs is only needed with the newest Respironics machine...you have a Resmed machine so you don't need the Patch anyway.
So Jimbo's Mac build without the Patch (extra work) would work just fine with your machine if you could have figured out where the SD card was.

The Windows version of SleepyHead...0.9.3 is the latest version and will work on your PC.
You still need to know where to tell SleepyHead to find the SD card and most of the time using MyComputer is easy to do.
If you run into trouble I can walk you through it with a phone call. It would be faster and easier then going back and forth here.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:23 am

This what a USB port looks like on a computer. http://compnetworking.about.com/od/usbn ... b-port.htm. Remember this please. When you remove the card from your breathing unit have the power turned off, When the card is out lock it ( slide on one side) Prior to putting it back into the breathing unit with power still off unlock the card before inserting it back into the breathing nit.You can then turn the power back on.
Find a USB port like picture above. With the card inserted in the card holder. Plug it into the USB port. An item will come up on your
desktop that will say unnamed.
Start sleepyhead and click on import. Chose new location. Look for desktop, then you should see then unnamed unit. Click on it.
Single click on datalog. It should start loading.
DO BELOW FIRST AFTER STARTING PROGRAM. CLICK ON NEW PROFILE AND GIVE IT A NAME.

I hope hat this helps

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:39 pm

lliann wrote:thank you everyone. I will appreciate any help. I have a desktop mac so no card slot. But I do have an old acer laptop that I bought over 2 years ago just for this sleepyhead purpose. (ok, I know, but I really have turned over a new leaf) So I dug that sucker out and am charging it now and will see if I can get sleephead on the pc.

I got very confused with the Mac patch talk. This is going to be a learning process but I need to. I am 65 and the apnea is not getting better. I can feel the difference even with not great ahi's And I need to learn about these central apneas. I will be doing a lot reading here soon. God knows, the info is all on here. You guys are amazing in your committment.!
Many desktop iMacs do have the card slot -- how old/new is your iMac?

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:18 pm

You should have USB slot

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1