Done. Finished. I GIVE UP!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
echo

Re: Done. Finished. I GIVE UP!

Post by echo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Not sure I saw this mentioned, but do you have a fine filter in addition to the normal filter on the back of your clap... i mean cpap? It will help cut down on the amount of dust/pollution that gets through. Where I live it's pretty polluted, and I need to change the fine filter about once a week. If I forget to change it in time, my sinuses feel horrible and I wake up with a terribly stuffy nose. Vit D also helps keep my sinuses clear. Too much or too little humidity, as others have said, can also cause problems.

Is the mask large enough? That can also cause sores.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

kona0197

Post by kona0197 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:37 pm

If it helps I can send you a different mask, I have a few different ones around the house. All I ask is that you cover shipping. Send me a message.
No Fate But what we Make...

Sleep Apnea Sucks...

LisaSch

Post by LisaSch » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:56 pm

If you have chronic sinus, I would also see a good ENT doctor and make sure you get that fixed. If he cannot help you due to allergies, see an allergist. You need to fix breathing and that can be more than a CPAP machine. Now that I have my machine I do not have the chronic sinus issues I used to have. I stopped using water in my machine and it seems good to me. You could even try that. Best wishes to you resolving all this. This board is the best!
Learning...brand new.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:06 pm

Okcpa99,

Glad to hear you're not giving up. The only thing I wanted to add to all the great advice is this: All faces are not created equal, there is no 'face mold' that determines how we look, hence no two faces will react the same to a cpap mask.
That said, there are lots of different masks. What works for me may not for you. I think you will like the P10, I know I do.

If you have long hair, a great trick with the P10 is the 'pony tail maneuver' - put hair in pony tail, put on mask pulling pony tail through between the straps (basically pull bottom strap under pony tail) . For me this has given me a way to help manage how much/or little pressure the headgear needs. Just my tip.

Hang in there, your health is worth the time it takes to 'learn' CPAP.

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:25 pm

LisaSch wrote:If you have chronic sinus, I would also see a good ENT doctor and make sure you get that fixed. If he cannot help you due to allergies, see an allergist. You need to fix breathing and that can be more than a CPAP machine. Now that I have my machine I do not have the chronic sinus issues I used to have. I stopped using water in my machine and it seems good to me. You could even try that. Best wishes to you resolving all this. This board is the best!
I have always been a mouth breather, and ince changing doctors and adding a daily asthma medication, I have found myself breathing through my nose more. I didn't even consider myself congested. So, an ENT may be able to help your improve your airway. Or, if you have allergies and/or asthma, try working on that. It might help. My only current asthma symptom was a recurring cough when allergies got bad.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

djhall

Post by djhall » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:50 pm

okcpa99 wrote:1) get some sleep! This is most important. I am a healthcare provider and I cannot make mistakes when prescribing medications or trying to diagnose problems. So I will go to sleep with the hybrid mask on but I am not going to stress if I wake up and I will just take it off and try to sleep the rest of the night
2) try to let my nose heal - will not use the quattro air!!!!!!!!! I am using silicone pads to prevent scaring, however, I think I will have a scar from my pressure ulcer.
These priorities are so important! We all want to start of running, but sometimes we have to settle for learning to walk before we run. Sometimes that means acclimating to a lower pressure first or sleeping half the night with the mask before we get to where we want to end up. Making slow progress and not giving up is more important to long term success than fighting to get it right immediately and creating worse problems or giving up in frustration.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:39 am

When I started this in Nov 2009, my mask gave me a horrendous nose bridge sore - it looked like a piece of raw meat!

My DME suggested that I loosen the mask for a couple nights to relieve some of the pressure (leaks be damned). After that, I went through a range of items that I placed across my nose bridge including cotton pads & tape, bandaids, etc. What worked the best for me was a PLASTIC bandaid across the nose bridge every night. Once the healing began (and it did for me) I started using an acne astringent on that area before applying the bandaid.

After doing this for about two months, I went without the bandaid one night and found that the area had "toughened up" and I am now using THE SAME MASK nightly without any problems.

I have two boxes of plastic bandaids in my cabinet, purchased thinking I would need to use them forever. I'm happy to say I haven't used them (for this purpose anyway) since early 2010.

Just another idea to throw out there.

123.Shawn T.W.

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:25 am

Madalot,

I too did the band-aid trick, but I used fabric ones, after a week (or was it two?) my nose had healed, and toughened up! Don't need the band-aids anymore!
"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:28 am

123.Shawn T.W. wrote:Madalot,

I too did the band-aid trick, but I used fabric ones, after a week (or was it two?) my nose had healed, and toughened up! Don't need the band-aids anymore!
For some reason, the fabric ones didn't work and my nose continued to get rubbed raw. I think with the plastic, the mask was able to slide over it more and not get to my skin.

Whatever works for any of us is good with me! I hope the OP finds something that works for them!!

123.Shawn T.W.

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:40 am

Ha Ha! I tried plastic first, and had trouble with it leaking!

Like you said, whatever works!

I keep trying new things!
"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Madalot wrote: What worked the best for me was a PLASTIC bandaid across the nose bridge every night.

After doing this for about two months, I went without the bandaid one night and found that the area had "toughened up" and I am now using THE SAME MASK nightly without any problems.

Putting a little Neosporin on the sore spot before you put on the bandaid will also speed up the healing process.

When I see a sore spot start to show it's ugly face, I do just that.

I use the BandAid brand "Sport" BandAids. They have a little more cushion.

I cut off the two ends of the bandaid & leave just the cushion & a very small piece of sticky area on each side. My Nasal mask fits around the bandaid on the sides & only touches the bandaid on the very center top of my nose. That in itself keeps any leaks at a minimum.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

okcpa99

Post by okcpa99 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:23 pm

Today has been a little better for me. Was given a little help with my sleeping last night from a friend

Only was able to sleep 1.5 hours with the hybrid on then woke up (that is actually pretty good for me, I usually do not sleep that long when using the cpap). Took the mask off and slept the rest of the without the mask and did not wake up a single time!!!!! I am sure I was having TONS of apnea events but I don't care! That was the most sleep I have had since I got the darn machine!

So I am less tired, less cranky, and less pitiful today. Plan for tonight??? Exactly the same thing.

My new mask will be here tomorrow and I am anxious to try it. I am working on getting another doc but it has not been easy. I just don't understand. I called asking to set up care with a sleep physician at 2 different centers. They asked my history and once I told them that I had completed a sleep study at another clinic but had yet to see a provider and that my PCP was no help at all - they both told me they would not take me as a patient. I could not believe it! I understand competition, but what if I had come from out of state and needed to establish care?

HerbM

Post by HerbM » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:48 pm

So you didn't describe why you took off the mask after 1 1/2 hours of sleep with the hybrid?

Maybe that was the best thing to do, maybe it wasn't.

I probably have only slept through the night COMPLETELY a few times since starting CPAP. (This is better the pre-CPAP where I was getting up for the bathroom 2-5 times per night.)

Now it is about 1 time per night, with the occasional 2 or 0 even.

What is telling you to take off the hybrid mask? It can't be pressure or pain on the TOP of your nose.

Is it leaks?

Is it the headgear?

Is it something else?

Since you are tired the following should work Ok: Give up something you do for recreation (watch TV, read, etc) and use the extra time to go to sleep a little early.

Use the mask and if you wake up just get comfortable (as comfortable as you can) and work on breathing calmly and getting comfortable with the machine.

Give it a couple of hours of patient waiting. If you fall asleep you are way ahead of the game, and if you only get a couple of hours on the machine asleep and a couple more lying awake at least you are getting more and more used to the machine.

I don't need to do much of this for the Airfit P10, but this is the way that I eventually was able to get the F & P Oracle HC452 Oral mask to work (gosh that thing was still awful FOR ME), and how I was able to prove the Hybrid would work.

The Hybrid wasn't trivial like the P10, but it was miles ahead of the Oracle HC452 for me (note: some people LOVE the Oracle and some people really have no other reasonable choice and so make it work.)

I probably COULD make the Oracle work, and certainly the Hybrid would work for me, but none of these are even in the same league with a quality nasal pillow mask IF you can breath and stop mouth leaks.

--
Sweet Dreams,
HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-14 w/AHI: 0.2 avg for 7-days

"We can all breath together or we will all suffocate alone."

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:24 am

okcpa99 wrote:Today has been a little better for me. Was given a little help with my sleeping last night from a friend

Only was able to sleep 1.5 hours with the hybrid on then woke up (that is actually pretty good for me, I usually do not sleep that long when using the cpap). Took the mask off and slept the rest of the without the mask and did not wake up a single time!!!!! I am sure I was having TONS of apnea events but I don't care! That was the most sleep I have had since I got the darn machine!

So I am less tired, less cranky, and less pitiful today. Plan for tonight??? Exactly the same thing.

My new mask will be here tomorrow and I am anxious to try it. I am working on getting another doc but it has not been easy. I just don't understand. I called asking to set up care with a sleep physician at 2 different centers. They asked my history and once I told them that I had completed a sleep study at another clinic but had yet to see a provider and that my PCP was no help at all - they both told me they would not take me as a patient. I could not believe it! I understand competition, but what if I had come from out of state and needed to establish care?
Hi okcpa99,

As one who has seen several sleep doctors, when you call for an appointment, I would give as little information as possible to see if that helps you get through the roadblocks of being accepted as a patient. I simply said I was diagnosed with apnea and was looking to consult with Dr. ----- in the hope he/she could help me solve my problem with pap therapy intolerance.

I would also not say anything negative about any doctor you dealt with even if it is true. When medical center/office hears negativity coming from a potential patient, they will start to worry that you are going to be nothing but trouble. No, it isn't right but that is the way the system works.

Do I assume correctly from your screen name that you are in Oklahoma City? If my assumption is correctly, did you try Integris Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City? The reason I am asking is a forum member by the name of OKCsleepdoc mentioned he was having an online seminar last October on pap therapy. Therefore, I assume he is affiliated with the place although I could be wrong about that.

You might want to PM him although I just checked his profile and he hasn't been on the forum since February. But it might be worth a shot.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=68574

Best of luck.

49er

MaryGordon

Post by MaryGordon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:41 am

I'm a new user - 2 weeks exactly. Unlike you, okcpa99, I was extremely lucky and have had really minimal difficulty. What this has enabled me to see clearly, because it was so sudden, is the *huge* benefit. So I just want to encourage you to keep going for the sake of what is to come.
My sleep doctor prescribed for me a full face mask but the nurse clinician after observing me gave me a nasal pillow mask instead to which we later added a strap. I am currently using the Ruby Red as the first one didn't help. She also told me not to expect any immediate advantage and really played the whole thing down, which I think made me less keyed up about it all.

I am not a health care professional, but I do just wonder about alcohol before bedtime: isn't that meant to be a bit of a bad idea for sleep apnoea and so maybe not terribly helpful at this point?
Good luck.. keep going... here's a new user telling you that when it gets right the results can be just terrific. I couldn't have gone on as I was before CPAP and I feel like a different person already. It will come for you with time....