Battery for PR System One REMstar 60 Series CPAP ??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MikeInPA

Battery for PR System One REMstar 60 Series CPAP ??

Post by MikeInPA » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:24 pm

I am having problems trying to find a compatible battery for my Respironics PR System One REMstar 60 Series Plus CPAP Machine with C-Flex.

I tried this battery from CPAP.com https://www.cpap.com/productpage/CPAP.c ... -Pack.html and encountered a "service required" error message when using the battery on a full charge. The battery worked out of the box and before a full charge.

CPAPSUPPLYUSA says that this battery is not compatible: http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/CPBPack-CP ... yPack.aspx

Apparently this battery works but is too large for my purposes: http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Compact-Po ... p_516.html and they don't have the smaller 100wh and 150wh batteries in stock.

My CPAP works in my car and using a 12V auto jumper pack. Respironics support says that if my machine can do that then it should not be defective. My guess is that the batteries that don't work are rated at 14 volts or so even though they are advertised as 12 volt batteries and that the 60 series machine are not liking the voltage - especially since the one battery worked until I gave it a full charge.

I need a battery not more than 160 watt hours as I am flying on Qantas soon and they have this restriction.

One of my flights is on American Airlines and they require using a battery.

Anyone have success with a battery under 161 watt hours?

djhall

Re: Battery for PR System One REMstar 60 Series CPAP ??

Post by djhall » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:45 pm

It looks like this one might work, though I can't seem to find the watt hours.

http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/respironic ... apter.aspx

MikeInPA

Post by MikeInPA » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:57 pm

djhall wrote:It looks like this one might work, though I can't seem to find the watt hours.

http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/respironic ... apter.aspx
Thanks for your response.

I found the specs here:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... d-kit.html

Converting the 14.4 amp hours to watts I get 172.8 watt hours - so it would still be too big.

It is a lead acid battery and I think it may not be approved for in-flight use - but I am open to corrections. But, if lead acid is allowed on planes, then maybe there won't be any restrictions. Ill check on this.

djhall

Post by djhall » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:34 pm

Check out this offering from our forum hosts. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/cpap.c ... cable.html
From the specs tab: Power Output Battery Pack: 14.4V / 6.75 Amp Hr / 97.2 Watt Hour / LI-Ion

MikeInPA

Post by MikeInPA » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:38 pm

I just found this item in another thread. (I've been searching threads for a week ) It should resolve my compatibility problem since it is producing 120 volts and I can use the regular CPAP power supply. It also looks like it can run a CPAP for at least one night. It utilizes a 130wh battery. It has a "60-Day Absolute Satisfaction Guarantee".

http://www.paulcbuff.com/vm120.php

The full discussion is here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89114&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

MikeInPA

Post by MikeInPA » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:45 pm

djhall wrote:Check out this offering from our forum hosts. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/cpap.c ... cable.html
From the specs tab: Power Output Battery Pack: 14.4V / 6.75 Amp Hr / 97.2 Watt Hour / LI-Ion
You are now experiencing my frustration...

That offering, which includes the 12 volt DC cable, is the same battery pack that I had problems with. And CPAP.com concurs so I hope that they update their web site. Compare the pictures. They bundle the same battery pack with individual cables. I just hope they don't hit me with the 15% restocking fee since it didn't work as advertised.

I really think that it may be the 14.4 voltage that is the problem.

djhall

Post by djhall » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:54 pm

Gah! Quantas is really creating a problem here. Respironics makes a battery pack specifically for their machines and it is FAA approved. http://sleepapnea.respironics.com/acces ... ypack.aspx Unfortunately, that is 172.8 watt hours, and Quantas only allows 160!

I guess you could try this: http://www.cpapxchange.com/travel-cpap- ... onics.html They claim 12V / 7.8Ah which equals 93.6 watt hours.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:09 am

MikeInPA wrote:I just found this item in another thread. (I've been searching threads for a week ) It should resolve my compatibility problem since it is producing 120 volts and I can use the regular CPAP power supply. It also looks like it can run a CPAP for at least one night. It utilizes a 130wh battery. It has a "60-Day Absolute Satisfaction Guarantee".

http://www.paulcbuff.com/vm120.php

The full discussion is here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89114&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
If you read the specs for the Paul C Buff Vagabond Mini, it specifically states it is not for use for modeling lights.
That suggests that it won't be satisfactory for the CPAP application.
Call them for clarification before ordering.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

djhall

Post by djhall » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:44 pm

MikeInPA wrote:My CPAP works in my car and using a 12V auto jumper pack. Respironics support says that if my machine can do that then it should not be defective. My guess is that the batteries that don't work are rated at 14 volts or so even though they are advertised as 12 volt batteries and that the 60 series machine are not liking the voltage - especially since the one battery worked until I gave it a full charge.
I just realized there is something odd about this. The DC adapter is designed for cigarette lighter outlets, and when the car is running the alternator is putting 14 - 15 volts into the "12 volt" system in order to make the battery charge. American Airlines cigarette lighter outlets run 15 volts, not 12, to match the voltage of a running car. I can't see how the unit can reliably work in a running auto with a functioning alternator but not be able to handle 14 volts.

Do you have a volt/multi meter? I'd check the voltage on the cigarette lighter outlet that works and compare that to the battery voltage before assuming it is just the voltage that is the fundamental problem here.

MikeInPA

Post by MikeInPA » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:48 am

djhall wrote: I just realized there is something odd about this. The DC adapter is designed for cigarette lighter outlets, and when the car is running the alternator is putting 14 - 15 volts into the "12 volt" system in order to make the battery charge. American Airlines cigarette lighter outlets run 15 volts, not 12, to match the voltage of a running car. I can't see how the unit can reliably work in a running auto with a functioning alternator but not be able to handle 14 volts.

Do you have a volt/multi meter? I'd check the voltage on the cigarette lighter outlet that works and compare that to the battery voltage before assuming it is just the voltage that is the fundamental problem here.
I'm not home for the next day so I'll look into this when I get back. I'll also reply about the Vanguard battery then.

If I'm not mistaken, the instructions say not to use it when the car is running.

I don't understand why this machine is so finicky compared to most others. Makes me think it is flawed. (At least one other cpaptalk user has mentioned the problem and the battery suppliers are seeing it also.)

SleepySleepNeeder

Post by SleepySleepNeeder » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:02 pm

The battery should not be a problem. It is exactly the correct one. I have the same setup and battery and they work fine. It must be defective. You should be able to get it exchanged. You are not trying to use the humidifier, are you? You cannot use the humidifier on battery.

MikeInPA

Post by MikeInPA » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:31 pm

SleepySleepNeeder wrote:The battery should not be a problem. It is exactly the correct one. I have the same setup and battery and they work fine. It must be defective. You should be able to get it exchanged. You are not trying to use the humidifier, are you? You cannot use the humidifier on battery.
I'll call cpap and talk about the possibility but when I spoke to them before they said there was a compatibility problem with the 60 series. Respironics says if it can run on the AC cord then the machine should be okay. I'm running out of time to resolve this.

Which battery and CPAP machine are you using?

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:52 pm

what does this mean
MikeInPA wrote:My CPAP works in my car and using a 12V auto jumper pack.
are you using the same power cord in the car and on the battery pack that is not working right

MikeInPA

Post by MikeInPA » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Guest wrote:what does this mean
are you using the same power cord in the car and on the battery pack that is not working right
Yes, I am using the Respironics 60 series DC power cord in the car socket, in the auto jumper pack socket, and in the battery pack socket.

The only differences are the power sources.

SleepySleepNeeder

Post by SleepySleepNeeder » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:13 pm

MikeInPA wrote:
Guest wrote:what does this mean
Yes, I am using the Respironics 60 series DC power cord in the car socket, in the auto jumper pack socket, and in the battery pack socket.

The only differences are the power sources.

The battery kit comes with a plug for the CPAP and it has a plug at the other end that fits in a car cigarette lighter. The battery pack itself has a receptacle that is identical to the car cigarette lighter receptacle. So the machine can be plugged into either a car's 12V receptable or the battery's 12V receptacle. And yes the voltage can vary a couple of volts, as a car will produce nearly 14 volts when running but usually 12V plus or minus a little otherwise.

My unit is a REMStar Pro System One with CFlex+, 12V transformer (60 or 80 watts). I have two battery packs, one a couple years newer than the other, both Li-ion. One is 14.8V/6.6AH #1674, the other is 14.4V/6.75AH/97.2Wh #06239. Both operate the unit just fine. All you need is a functional 12V power supply and it doesn't matter how much power it has one bit. And a couple volts doesn't make a difference. But just make sure your humidifier is electrically unplugged so it's not working! You can damage it if you try to run it off the battery pack. You can still use it for passover humidification, you just don't want the heater to turn on.