OT: Mike & I have Pneumonia!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jencat824

Re: OT: Mike & I have Pneumonia!

Post by jencat824 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:41 am

Dori,

I don't have an S9, but here is my best stab at instructions (more of an outline):

1. How turn machine on
2.What buttons on machine do
3. How to put mask on, complete with how to attach the O2 to the mask
4. How to check for leaks
5. How to check that machine is on
6. How to check for AHI & any other details you want checked if problems arise
7. Your phone # for questions about the all the above

I know this is vague, but since I don't have the S9, maybe its a start for someone with the S9 to 'fill in the blanks' for you.

Still praying...
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:56 am

Dori,

I wish I used an S9 because I'd do this for you in a heartbeat! But I don't. I hope someone else here can do this for you!!!

Please continue to keep us posted. I hope you're remembering to take care of you through all this....

In my thoughts....

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:26 am

Here is a link to a user's guide for the S9
http://www.resmed.com/ap/assets/documen ... r1_eng.pdf

and a link for the Clinician Guide
http://www.osahelp.com/clinician-manual ... al-eng.pdf
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

squid13

Post by squid13 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:08 pm

library lady wrote:I've done a couple of stints in rehab, with my knee replacements, so I know what it's like with staff.
I had total knee replacements in both of my knees last year and after each one they wanted me to go to rehab and I said no thank you. I took 2 weeks of home health care instead, best thing I ever did. I had a therapist come to the house 3 times a week for my therapy and in the off days I did the therapy myself with the aid of my wife, and the home health nurse came every other day to check on me and between the both of them they took good care of me and it was covered by Medicare. After the 2 weeks I went to rehab at the Medical Center for 6 weeks, knees are doing great. Dori is Mike in shape enough that you could do this under Home Health care?

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Dori,

Haven't been on the forum much lately and just saw this thread and what you and your husband are going through! Unbelievable!

My thoughts and prayers are with the two of you.

Best wishes, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Dori

The machine turning off with too high a leak rate on a Respironics machine indicates Auto Off is turned on.
Does the Resmed have a similar function you could turn off?

On a Respironics the selection is

Auto On - ON
Auto Off - OFF

That configuration turns on any time breathing is detected and stays on until you manually turn it off.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:26 pm

JDS74 wrote:Dori

The machine turning off with too high a leak rate on a Respironics machine indicates Auto Off is turned on.

Auto On - ON
Auto Off - OFF

That configuration turns on any time breathing is detected and stays on until you manually turn it off.
Yes RESMED has one too and it is far more sensitive (or at least on the S8 it was) then on the PRs1.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:03 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:

Auto On - ON
Auto Off - OFF

Yes RESMED has one too and it is far more sensitive (or at least on the S8 it was) then on the PRs1.
But unlike on the PR machines, on a RESMED machine you cannot separately control auto-start (Auto On) and auto-off (Auto Off) as I recall. As I recall on the RESMED S9, the auto on/off setting is called SmartStart and if SmartStart is set to ON, then the machine will both automatically start when breathing is detected and turn itself off when no breathing is detected for a certain amount of time.

On the S9 I don't believe there's a way of turning auto-start ON and auto-off OFF. Which is a bummer, because it sounds like that's what Mike needs: Protection from the machine being accidentally turned off by one of the nighttime caretakers hitting the big round button (auto-start ON) without giving the S9 the ability to turn itself off when the leak is so high it cannot detect breathing(auto-off DISABLED)

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:44 pm

[quote="robysue Yes RESMED has one too and it is far more sensitive (or at least on the S8 it was) then on the PRs1.[/quote]
But unlike on the PR machines, on a RESMED machine you cannot separately control auto-start (Auto On) and auto-off (Auto Off) as I recall. As I recall on the RESMED S9, the auto on/off setting is called SmartStart and if SmartStart is set to ON, then the machine will both automatically start when breathing is detected and turn itself off when no breathing is detected for a certain amount of time.
On the S9 I don't believe there's a way of turning auto-start ON and auto-off OFF. Which is a bummer, because it sounds like that's what Mike needs: Protection from the machine being accidentally turned off by one of the nighttime caretakers hitting the big round button (auto-start ON) without giving the S9 the ability to turn itself off when the leak is so high it cannot detect breathing(auto-off DISABLED)[/quote]

Roby, you owe me a cup of coffee! When I read this I panicked because of the high leaks and I couldn't remember if I had SmartStart set to On or Off. I called the rehab but couldn't explain how to get into the settings so I called my best friend and asked her to go back to the rehab with me at 9:30. It turned out to be a good thing because they don't put his mask on until 10PM and he was still awake and happy to see me and my friend. So I was able to put the mask on myself with the RN watching my little tricks and I showed her the Mask Fit feature and the Smiley Face...BTW, the SmartStart was set to OFF anyway but it was worth the trip back just to see his face when he saw us. It will be interesting to see the leak rate tomorrow. It was 60 last night, better than 90 and 140 the other 2 nights. Good night to all, sleep well, and thanks so much.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:22 am

Dori

If you can, for a few days, it sounds as if a trip to see Mike Every night at 9:00 PM is in order.
It may take a few trips to get the staff up to speed. After putting his mask on while showing the night nurse, take it off and let them do it themselves.

Like me, some people learn best when they do it not when they watch someone else.

Just a thought.

James

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:41 am

If you can, for a few days, it sounds as if a trip to see Mike Every night at 9:00 PM is in order.
It may take a few trips to get the staff up to speed. After putting his mask on while showing the night nurse, take it off and let them do it themselves.

Like me, some people learn best when they do it not when they watch someone else.

Just a thought.

James
Dori,

As one who totally learns in that manner, I definitely agree with what I feel is excellent advice by James.

By the way, I hope you are taking care of yourself which I know is hard to do with all the stress you are dealing with. I don't want you to have a relapse.

""""Hugs""""

49er

SleepyStar

Post by SleepyStar » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:47 pm

Dori, I have an S9 Autoset, is there anything featurewise I can help with writing how-tos for?

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:51 pm

DoriC wrote:BTW, the SmartStart was set to OFF anyway but it was worth the trip back just to see his face when he saw us.
Are you saying you left SmartStart Off? I would think On is better.

BTW, had you and Mike had pneumonia shots?

Best wishes to Mike and you, too.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:56 pm

I've been too tired to post so just a quick update. Still battling very high leaks although all the Supervisors and the Administrator and our Dr are now paying attention. I will have to investigate the nurse who was on duty for the 11-7AM last night. I just d/l the report and it seems he leaked like crazy from 9:30 to 2AM. Then the night nurse must have figured out how to adjust his mask because he had a great leak line until 7AM when the day shift came on and removed it. I made quite a fuss with the weekend supervisor and today when I showed up at 9AM to speak to the Manager and Administrator. I think everyone was a bit more receptive and maybe something will get done. My son also questioned our Dr yesterday about why he was still on 24-hr oxygen because that in itself can cause lethargy and weakened breathing and other problems in someone who doesn't really need it. His pneum is pretty much all cleared up. So I was so happy when our Dr came in this morning while I was there and was pretty angry because he had changed the 02 orders last week to "only if necessary". He tried to imply that my goal should be to get him home asap with full time help if possible. So I watched him do PT today without 02 and his level stayed at 96-98. Of course he still sleeps A LOT when there's nothing going on and still seems confused because he's not getting proper sleep yet but I'm a bit more encouraged that I think I've got the higher ups on board. We'll see but I'm not convinced. I got a dirty look from one of his regular nurses today who didn't seem the least bit interested in his cpap therapy. I've got 2 words for her!! Thanks for staying with me on this hard journey and pray that I can get him out of there soon. From what our Dr told me today in his opinion, these "facilities" are all the same.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

ems

Post by ems » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:47 pm

DoriC wrote:From what our Dr told me today in his opinion, these "facilities" are all the same.
Dori.. unfortunately your doctor is right! Looking forward to hearing that the doctor says he is ready to go home. That will be a wonderful day for you both!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~