Advice re APAP for in-flight and travel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KatieW

Advice re APAP for in-flight and travel

Post by KatieW » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:20 pm

Hello, it's been a long time since I've visited the board. Nice to see a few familiar names are still here.

I have an S9 Autoset, purchased in March 2010, with 13,000+ hours on it. I am planning an overseas trip, and would like to have an apap + battery so I can use it on the 14 hour flight, and also if the electricity is spotty in some remote areas, as I am going to Bhutan and India. Last year I flew Quantas who are cpap-friendly (had dedicated AC plug, even in economy class), and arrived so well-rested that I vowed I would never again fly without my cpap. This time I am flying Cathay Pacific so I need a battery.

I've been researching options:

1. Take my S9, and buy the Resmed Power Station for $699, or the Respironics battery for S9 for $379.

2. Buy the IntelliPAP Auto, and the battery kit, (and also the humidifier for use when not flying), total $752.

I'm leaning towards option 2, because then I would have a brand-new machine, which would be handy as a back-up since my S9 has quite a few miles on it. Reviews I have read indicate that the adjustment from an S9 to an IntelliPAP would be seamless.

Any thoughts? or experience with either option? Thanks for any help.

Julie

Re: Advice re APAP for in-flight and travel

Post by Julie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:16 am

Hi - glad to see you back!

I'm very happy with my machine and it looks like the cheaper option for you. I'm also extremely envious of your trip to Bhutan - sure you don't need a paid companion?

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:11 am

Hi Julie! Thanks for your comments on the Intellipap, after sleeping on it (8.5 hours, AHI .3), I do think that is the better option.

Do you have the SmartLink Software? Is it worth having....I have a Mac so don't use the Resmed software anymore, and just check my data on the machine. I know about Sleepyhead, just haven't gotten around to it.

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Post by Pad A Cheek » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:51 am

Hello Katie,

It is good to see your smiling face, I have missed you.
There is another alternative. The Transcend has an APAP now. I am testing one myself for a couple weeks.
It seems solid and not as loud as the first Transcend. It works off batteries or plugged in and it is so small so it is easy to pack.

I hope this helps some in your decision.
Take care and hang around we are a fun bunch.

Karen

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:17 am

Hi - I have a Mac too, and Sleepyhead, which I don't use actually because... I don't have the software, but do enter codes from the machine screen (taken before noon) and enter them (on Cpap.com) into a box that then produces a report with all the basics that I need (AHI, leak + flow rates, etc.). I'm quite stable except for the odd and predictable night so don't feel the need for more. I suppose I might get the module, etc. at some time, but for now this works and has worked for 3 yrs.

NameGoesHere

Post by NameGoesHere » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:08 am

Pad A Cheek wrote:Hello Katie,

It is good to see your smiling face, I have missed you.
There is another alternative. The Transcend has an APAP now. I am testing one myself for a couple weeks.
It seems solid and not as loud as the first Transcend. It works off batteries or plugged in and it is so small so it is easy to pack.

I hope this helps some in your decision.
Take care and hang around we are a fun bunch.

Karen
I use a transcend auto for travel (although not physically on the plane, my hops are generally short enough that I don't sleep in air) and am very happy with it. Nice and compact so it fits in my carryon.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:06 am

Katie, I have the SmartLink and the Devilbiss software. They can be purchased together or separately.

I have both and personally, I far prefer to use Sleepyhead to the Devilbiss software for reading the data from the SmartLink unit. The Devilbiss package was designed for use in a sleep clinic, is slow to load and not very user friendly. It is great if you are trying to remotely control a PAP machine during titration or if you are managing large numbers of users, but that is not what you want it for.

So, my recommendation would be that if you want to see more detailed information than simply the nightly AHI and leak numbers as provided by the unit's codes, just buy the SmartLink module and use Sleepyhead. The only word of warning is that if you buy just the SmartLink unit, it does not include the cable to connect to your PC (which is not a standard USB cable). You can also buy the cable separately, but the only reason why you would need the cable is to get software updates for either the Intellipap unit or the SmartLink. I uploaded the most recent revisions to both my machine and my wife's, but cannot say that the updates made any difference.

We are also looking at an long overseas flight in the near future. I can do without my unit during the flight but my wife is looking at both the Transcend and Z1 machines for use on the plane.

Finally, I second Julie's comment about envying you on the trip to Bhutan. There is a special link between my university and the Kingdom of Bhutan. As a result, I have wanted to go for a visit for many years, but haven't been able to justify it - yet.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:15 am

I, too, really like my Intellipap, but I am taking along my data module next trip;
as the "Smart codes" are only partially reliable.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Rustsmith wrote:Katie, I have the SmartLink and the Devilbiss software. They can be purchased together or separately.

So, my recommendation would be that if you want to see more detailed information than simply the nightly AHI and leak numbers as provided by the unit's codes, just buy the SmartLink module and use Sleepyhead. The only word of warning is that if you buy just the SmartLink unit, it does not include the cable to connect to your PC (which is not a standard USB cable). You can also buy the cable separately, but the only reason why you would need the cable is to get software updates for either the Intellipap unit or the SmartLink. I uploaded the most recent revisions to both my machine and my wife's, but cannot say that the updates made any difference.
I'm not sure what you mean, by SmartLink module. Do you mean this?

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... ystem.html

Purchased with the Intellipap, it's only $50. The software isn't Mac compatible, so I can't use it anyway, but could Sleepyhead. Actually, I don't check my data much anymore. I was so obsessive when I started, but it's been 4 years now, and I now check my AHI and leaks every morning, and call it good.

Karen, I will look into the Transcend Auto. How do you like it so far? While small size would be nice for travel, I also am thinking it would be my home back-up machine, and possibly my main machine. How would it work for that?

NameGoesHere

Post by NameGoesHere » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:18 pm

KatieW wrote: Karen, I will look into the Transcend Auto. How do you like it so far? While small size would be nice for travel, I also am thinking it would be my home back-up machine, and possibly my main machine. How would it work for that?
It wasn't asked to me but I'll give my two cents anyway. I wouldn't want to use the Transcend as a primary or daily system. There's no direct readout or interaction on the machine itself. I haven't tried to tweak it but from what I can tell I would have to install the software and then adjust via a USB connection, not very convenient for daily use if you intend to tinker or monitor. The system is quiet, comfortable, and effective though so as long as you just want something you can slap the mask on and press the button (doable for a backup) it would be fine. I'd still run something larger with better user interface for a primary system.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:02 pm

KatieW wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean, by SmartLink module. Do you mean this?

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilbi ... ystem.html

Purchased with the Intellipap, it's only $50. The software isn't Mac compatible, so I can't use it anyway, but could Sleepyhead. Actually, I don't check my data much anymore. I was so obsessive when I started, but it's been 4 years now, and I now check my AHI and leaks every morning, and call it good.
The link you provided points to the package that contains the SmartLink module, the cables and the Devilbiss software. The link to just the module is:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... odule.html

One of the features of the Intellipap is the ability to retrieve codes from the LCD. These codes (usually 11 numbers and letters) can be entered onto a page on the Devilbiss website to generate reports that contain AHI, leaks, usage time, etc. Codes are available for the previous 24 hrs, 7 days, 30 days and 90 days. If you want to see the more detailed info as provided in Sleepyhead or the Devilbiss software, then you need to have the SmartLink module to collect the data and write it to the memory card.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi Katie, good to hear from you. This sounds like quite an adventure...