CPap, Diabetes, and Insulin Dosage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: CPap, Diabetes, and Insulin Dosage

Post by Goofproof » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:43 am

jaye8898 wrote:
Sheriff Buford wrote:Jaye: without being too personal, I was wondering why you stopped using cpap therapy after two years?

Sheriff
Sorry, Sheriff.....just saw this question while reviewing my posts.

Actually a few things......denial ("nothing is really wrong with me"), lack of understanding the condition, I asked my doctor if it would shorten my life and she said no .....that her patients used it because they were more comfortable with it, and I hated the stupid mask at the time...I used the Swift nasal mask with the barrel type nose thing...it leaked like a sieve..lots of very silly reasons but I would have to say "ignorance" was the biggest reason.
I do not agree with your doctors idea about xpap, you need or you don't. Reading the machine data is important about deciding whether you need xpap. Maybe Also using overnite pulse ox overnite data in the mix. De-Nile won't help your health or lifespand.

I also have a list of meds that are affected by the juice and nuts, other than the crashing sugar levels ive not seen a problem, I 1.5 months I take labs to check changes.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:51 am

It's just sad though - how many doctors today (without her understandable 'excuses') are so ignorant... or is the med schools that still aren't getting it?

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:19 am

If you read Bernstein's Diabetic Solution you can learn how to even out your blood sugar so you are not running those highs and lows, and you can reduce your need for insulin. It's not so much the calories you consume as it is WHAT you eat.

Imagine feeling better and not constantly experiencing the blood sugar roller coaster or fear of a deadly hypo. You CAN do this and feel so much better for it.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:49 am

I quietly changed practices to avoid a doctor whose comments and opinions were looking more and more like dementia.
I did not kick up a fuss, because I was afraid of reprisals, and believe that this guy could not be touched.
I hope he has since retired.

jaye8898

Post by jaye8898 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Janknitz wrote:If you read Bernstein's Diabetic Solution you can learn how to even out your blood sugar so you are not running those highs and lows, and you can reduce your need for insulin. It's not so much the calories you consume as it is WHAT you eat.

Imagine feeling better and not constantly experiencing the blood sugar roller coaster or fear of a deadly hypo. You CAN do this and feel so much better for it.
I agree, Janknitz. Since starting Cpap, I have reduced my need for insulin from 52 units twice a day to 32 or even 30 twice a day. My doctor and I will be discussing alternate medication in May since I do have measurable insulin in my pancreas. Insulin is keeping me from losing the weight I want to lose in conjunction with my medication for my overactive thyroid. One of the meds we are considering helps promote weight loss.....can't remember the name of it.

If anything,I'm having issues with lows as I sometimes get busy and forget to eat. I've taken to carrying nuts and an apple always. I am careful to mix protein and carbs correctly.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:22 pm

Julie wrote:It's just sad though - how many doctors today (without her understandable 'excuses') are so ignorant... or is the med schools that still aren't getting it?
My hubby's Dr didn't want him to go for testing. I was with her when he asked for her to refer him & she said it was a 'waste of time' & 'who would want to wear a mask thing all nite'. I promptly told her I WEAR ONE & IT HELPS! She agreed to the referral after I said that & pressed her to. He switched Drs to MY primary care physician & is much happier with the overall care he has been receiving. He was also pre-diabetic & after going on CPAP he is now out of that range & his A1C is 5.5 (normal).

I feel something should be done about my hubby's Dr, but she is on the medical board locally, so I don't really know who to complain to. Perhaps I should try state level? I was mad at the time, but let it go. After reading this thread & thinking about it, she could be causing a lot of people serious health damage by NOT referring them for appropriate CPAP testing. I guess she likes having all those sick patient's in her waiting room daily.

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

jaye8898

Post by jaye8898 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:26 am

jencat824 wrote:
Julie wrote:It's just sad though - how many doctors today (without her understandable 'excuses') are so ignorant... or is the med schools that still aren't getting it?
My hubby's Dr didn't want him to go for testing. I was with her when he asked for her to refer him & she said it was a 'waste of time' & 'who would want to wear a mask thing all nite'. I promptly told her I WEAR ONE & IT HELPS! She agreed to the referral after I said that & pressed her to. He switched Drs to MY primary care physician & is much happier with the overall care he has been receiving. He was also pre-diabetic & after going on CPAP he is now out of that range & his A1C is 5.5 (normal).

I feel something should be done about my hubby's Dr, but she is on the medical board locally, so I don't really know who to complain to. Perhaps I should try state level? I was mad at the time, but let it go. After reading this thread & thinking about it, she could be causing a lot of people serious health damage by NOT referring them for appropriate CPAP testing. I guess she likes having all those sick patient's in her waiting room daily.
I even wonder if it's a cultural thing. I go to a medical facility now that hires a lot of doctors from India and other countries like Norway, China, etc. At first I was annoyed and wanted "American" doctors. Then I realized I am now getting the best care I've had in a long time. My primary encouraged me to start Cpap again and referred me to a sleep doctor, also from India. When I look at their credentials, yes they received their medical degrees in a foreign country but internships, residencies, and boards are done here. Just goes to show you diversity is wealth!