Food Allergies, MSG, Gluten and Periodic Breathing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DavidCarolina

Food Allergies, MSG, Gluten and Periodic Breathing

Post by DavidCarolina » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:42 am

Every time I get hold of some MSG (monosodium glutamate, "the Chinese allergy")----and theyre putting it in ALL KINDS of food including WENDYS and KFC-------I get bad numbers the next
morning. From my studies, it shows that food allergies like that can be a delayed response.

My periodic breathing usually goes from 1 to 3 or 4. My numbers go up from 1 to up to 3 for the night AHI.

I think there is some throat swelling, analphylactic reactions.

And the junk food companies (potato chips, etc) are putting it in more and more foods.

This can also be triggered by gluten or dairy sensitivity. Anyone else seeing these corrrelations?

Julie

Re: Food Allergies, MSG, Gluten and Periodic Breathing

Post by Julie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:12 am

I wouldn't need confirmation of anyone else's problems if I felt I had one myself and had data to back it up. You're going to have to be careful about reading food labels and maybe skip McD's and Wendy's anyhow as they're not healthy anyhow. There are loads of gluten-free recipes around and you can now buy GF food (if more expensive) in most supermkts. I thought they were taking MSG out of things these days!

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:13 am

DavidCarolina wrote:Every time I get hold of some MSG (monosodium glutamate, "the Chinese allergy")----and theyre putting it in ALL KINDS of food including WENDYS and KFC-------I get bad numbers the next
morning. From my studies, it shows that food allergies like that can be a delayed response.

My periodic breathing usually goes from 1 to 3 or 4. My numbers go up from 1 to up to 3 for the night AHI.

And the junk food companies (potato chips, etc) are putting it in more and more foods.

This can also be triggered by gluten or dairy sensitivity. Anyone else seeing these corrrelations?
Hi again DavidCarolina!
DavidCarolina wrote:Every time I get hold of some MSG (monosodium glutamate, "the Chinese allergy")----and theyre putting it in ALL KINDS of food including WENDYS and KFC-------I get bad numbers the next

Keep in mind that you did not just consume monosodium glutamate, you consumed this single nutrient amongst the whole influence of all the other foods (over the period that you have lived) pollutants (over your lifetime) sun exposure (ditto . . lifetime) activity level (. . lifetime) as also influenced by your specific genetic code.
DavidCarolina wrote:I think there is some throat swelling, analphylactic reactions.
One of the things that amazes me as I read what doctors write about OSA is how they seem to think that it is somehow static in a persons life. After working with my own data several times a week for several years looking closely I have absolutely no respect for that kind of thinking. It is not true.
DavidCarolina wrote:And the junk food companies (potato chips, etc) are putting it in more and more foods.
First thing my dietitian taught me was “stay away from the center of the store (other than for dried beans and brown rice...)”. There are reasons we call that stuff “junk”.
DavidCarolina wrote:This can also be triggered by gluten or dairy sensitivity. Anyone else seeing these corrrelations?
Why is it that it does not bother the Chinese? If you look at recommendations for salt intake for Asian communities you will see numbers two to four times what you see recommended here. Why???

Well now if you live in China (or likely most of Asia) you are likely to be “getting there” via your own two legs. Often by cycle in China. You are also likely to eat much less meat, and the meat you do eat is less likely to be produced in a Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO) where they feed on GMO high chemical load corn/soy (which is most likely true for all such as McDonnalds etc...). If you eat rice in China/Asia it will probably contain more of the whole food than that produced here. The Chinese also tend to eat more whole food vegetables. They have a much less processed food source and much higher activity level and I believe that is likely most of why MSG is simply not a problem for them as it is not for me (I walked 29,261 steps yesterday according to my pedometer, just ate two large celery sticks).

If your activity level is way higher is your need for salt much higher? If you eat whole foods does it play differently in your body than the separated nutrient(s) eaten alone?? Of course!!!

So step away from the processed foods and toward the whole food plant based diet limiting meat/dairy (only from free range if at all possible). Change your eating strategy, change your health outcome I do believe. And “keep it moving” for goodness sake because after about 25 it is indeed “use it or loose it”.

But body change is slow so indeed use your data to guide what you eat for now.
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:50 am

One of the things that amazes me as I read what doctors write about OSA is how they seem to think that it is somehow static in a persons life. After working with my own data several times a week for several years looking closely I have absolutely no respect for that kind of thinking. It is not true.
And your proof is -----? Even alternative medicine folks aren't making this claim.

49er

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:22 pm

49er wrote:
And your proof is -----? Even alternative medicine folks aren't making this claim.

49er

49er

You always have the same AHI every night???

You always have the same PB each night???

Is your apnea static???

I think not
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:37 pm

What we do in nutrition and science now is kind of like sending 100,000 graduate students into a Forrest each armed with a couple of very good microscopes. Now I am glad for the 100,000, I am glad for the microscopes, I am glad for the information gathered. I also know that none of them or even all of them together will be able to describe the Forrest.

We need to move beyond our reductionist ways.

Whole food contains many many thousands of nutrients, not to mention all that microbiome. Understanding how all of that really works will take tools we currently do not have.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:43 pm

It's extremely hard to avoid MSG and gluten with manufactured foods, especially fast food.

The best advice I can give you is to start eating real, whole foods--organic and minimally processed. Avoid most things with a label. I do eat a few things with a label, but rarely, and the fewer ingredients ("almonds and salt" "Olive oil") the better. Fast food is pretty much out if you're highly sensitive to MSG.

Be aware that there are many ways to hide MSG on a label. See http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

Some glutamic acid (MSG) also occurs naturally, e.g. in fermented foods and homemade broth that gelatinizes. Not everyone is sensitive to these.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:38 pm

Actually no, and for a very good reason. I gave up all fast food and all junk food about 13 years ago. I've only been on CPAP for 5.5 years.

If I want snack foods... I make them, without all those ingredients.

I generally don't eat at Big Chain restaurants -- I eat at small local restaurants where they are willing to prepare my food without the junk.

I do notice a correlation on holidays, when, say, I've had a couple glasses of wine or more sweets than normal.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:50 am

There's been a slight increase in my AHI after eating a select few chinese menu selections. Most of them appear to have no effect on my AHI.

I've never been able to determine if it was the ingredients in the meal or just a "bad night" that caused the increase in AHI.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison