United Airlines new carry-on policy goes into effect March 1

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
backdoc

United Airlines new carry-on policy goes into effect March 1

Post by backdoc » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:34 am

I'm wondering if we are going to get jacked around with our CPAP bags? I have a large MEDICAL DEVICE tag on my CPAP bag.
I have to fly on March 1st with United and I think I'll just check my bag with my CPAP in it rather than get into an argument.
Its a 20 min flight each way, but after the round trip I fly to London.
For the London flight I use my CPAP and batteries on-board, so not having my CPAP that usually I bring in a small roll-aboard is going to be a PITA.

Published carry-on limit: 9"x14"x22"
Actual sizer dimensions: 10"x15"x23"

Published personal item limit: 9"x10"x17"
Actual sizer dimensions: 9"x11"x18"

robysue

Re: United Airlines new carry-on policy goes into effect March 1

Post by robysue » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:39 am

I personally would NOT put my CPAP in checked baggage under ANY circumstances. There's just too much risk if the baggage is lost or damaged.

I'd contact United well before the flight and straighten out that medically required equipment is allowed to be carried on board without counting as an official carry on. If I were worried, I'd carry on the PAP machine (and nothing but PAP supplies) in the travel bag that came with the PAP. It seems hard to believe that just the travel bag for a PAP would be "too large" for carry-on.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:41 am

Do not under any circumstances check you cpap into baggage. The chances of it a) not arriving, b) arriving in many small pieces is much to high.

Legally they are required to allow you to take it on board. Board with the people needing help first.

Is the small hassle of defending your cpap not worth the chance of losing it all together?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

backdoc

Post by backdoc » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:08 pm

Unlike most of you, I travel constantly, mostly internationally. I know my rights when it comes to CPAP and know how to work the system. BUT, on the first day of a new policy implementation I'm not about to squabble.

I've been on CPAP for 8 years, and traveled obsessively for much longer than that. And yes I can get by without my "nose hair dryer" if it were lost or broken, Its not a respirator its a CPAP. I got along for 44 years without it, I'm not going to panic if I were suddenly without it for a few days or a week. On international flights I use it for the peace and quiet of others and so I don't feel like I've been run over by a rabid moose when I'm trying to get through immigration with a headache.

My post was more to alert others that there are new rules in place on this one airline and to be conscious of it when planning your carry-on options. I do have smaller bags that I can use to carry-it in I would just prefer not to.
I'm used to using my "boarding bag" as my CPAP bag that also is stuffed with a pillow, CPAP batteries, hose, a sweater, my MacBookPro, chargers and adapters and extension cords, snacks, etc. So, its not "exclusively" CPAP so I wouldn't throw a fuss if my fatter than new policy bag had a CPAP tag on it and try to force them to accept it even though it doesn't conform to new regulations just because I'm "disabled." Proper planning is better than throwing a hissyfit.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Do I have to post the video again? Probably so!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
A cpap case can probably be hurled even further!
Do you think they will have wagers?
Can't be beer; that's probably already gone!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:37 pm

backdoc wrote:Unlike most of you, I travel constantly, mostly internationally. I know my rights when it comes to CPAP and know how to work the system. BUT, on the first day of a new policy implementation I'm not about to squabble.

I've been on CPAP for 8 years, and traveled obsessively for much longer than that. And yes I can get by without my "nose hair dryer" if it were lost or broken, Its not a respirator its a CPAP. I got along for 44 years without it, I'm not going to panic if I were suddenly without it for a few days or a week. On international flights I use it for the peace and quiet of others and [b]so I don't feel like I've been run over by a rabid moose when I'm trying to get through immigration with a headache.[/b]
So you are good with feeling like that for a week while doing business or "enjoying yourself"? Also your body has lost its acclimatization to doing without sleep and O2 and it is now 8 years older. Put the cpap machine in its own bag deal with the issue, if only as a favour for the other people the next day trying to board with their cpap machines.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:42 pm

I personally would NOT put my CPAP in checked baggage under ANY circumstances. There's just too much risk if the baggage is lost or damaged. It too expensive for them to throw around. There is no haggling anymore about taking on the CPAP bag as it doesn't count as anything. Carry it on with you like anything else. Don't take chances.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:57 pm

Went halfway around the world and back last spring with United 90% of the way and the only thing that bothered me is that no one cared about the stuff I so carefully measured and packed and sweated over. They did fuss about other things, randomly and with no point security-wise that I could imagine, but didn't blink at some I might have questioned (nothing remotely dangerous, but if someone was imaginative they could conceivably have given me a hard time).

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:13 pm

No that it would matter if you got unlucky with an uncooperative gate agent, but here is the link to what United says about CPAP usage on board. It is a bit more complicated that simply taking your machine and batteries if you want to go through the motions and play by their rules.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/conten ... ators.aspx

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Most of the new cpap machines have FAA approval for use on board. There are letter you can download.
All airlines have the same requirements for cpap USE on board.

ubnoxus

Post by ubnoxus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:27 pm

Size does not matter, it's medical equipment plain and simple. FAA sets the guidelines not United so you will have no problems boarding on or after march 1.
Using Tapatalk

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:40 pm

Rustsmith wrote:No that it would matter if you got unlucky with an uncooperative gate agent, but here is the link to what United says about CPAP usage on board. It is a bit more complicated that simply taking your machine and batteries if you want to go through the motions and play by their rules.

This link doesn't mention "carry ons".

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:12 pm

LSAT wrote:
Rustsmith wrote:No that it would matter if you got unlucky with an uncooperative gate agent, but here is the link to what United says about CPAP usage on board. It is a bit more complicated that simply taking your machine and batteries if you want to go through the motions and play by their rules.

This link doesn't mention "carry ons".
Actually it does. It says they should be stored as carry on when not is use.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:23 pm

Baggage handlers can break an anvil!

apw5746

Post by apw5746 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:19 pm

backdoc wrote:Unlike most of you, I travel constantly, mostly internationally. I know my rights when it comes to CPAP and know how to work the system. BUT, on the first day of a new policy implementation I'm not about to squabble.

I've been on CPAP for 8 years, and traveled obsessively for much longer than that. And yes I can get by without my "nose hair dryer" if it were lost or broken, Its not a respirator its a CPAP. I got along for 44 years without it, I'm not going to panic if I were suddenly without it for a few days or a week. On international flights I use it for the peace and quiet of others and so I don't feel like I've been run over by a rabid moose when I'm trying to get through immigration with a headache.

My post was more to alert others that there are new rules in place on this one airline and to be conscious of it when planning your carry-on options. I do have smaller bags that I can use to carry-it in I would just prefer not to.
I'm used to using my "boarding bag" as my CPAP bag that also is stuffed with a pillow, CPAP batteries, hose, a sweater, my MacBookPro, chargers and adapters and extension cords, snacks, etc. So, its not "exclusively" CPAP so I wouldn't throw a fuss if my fatter than new policy bag had a CPAP tag on it and try to force them to accept it even though it doesn't conform to new regulations just because I'm "disabled." Proper planning is better than throwing a hissyfit.
All airlines, or should I say baggage handlers, treat checked baggage as though they were trying to throw a football, or a linebacker trying to crush a running back or quarter back. They get paid by the hour and just don't care. Some do, but most don't.

I realize that United is going to crack down on the size of carry on luggage, as all these years people have tried to carry everything including the kitchen sink in their carry on. Have you ever seen the size of a ladies handbag?

However, a CPAP is considered an assistive device. It's in the same class as a respirator, and wheel chair, and doesn't count against your carry on allowance, as long as it either fits overhead or under the seat. I board before people with small children, who by the way don't have diaper bags and strollers & car seats counted against carry on baggage, and those in first class. Thus ensuring I get first crack at overhead storage. Look inside a diaper bag and you would be appalled at what they contain besides diapers. My CPAP is clearly marked medical device and meets FAA policy.

I too know how to work the system, and don't mind one bit taking full advantage of it. Additionally, I think I started making international flights when you were still in diapers.

Lastly, I know you were just trying to inform us that 1 March United is starting to enforce a policy that has been out of control for years, but remember nice guys, and gals, don't finish first. Throw that hissy fit.

26 year Air Force Vet
if it isn't grown, then it's has to be mined - prospector

'If you don't stand for something, you will fall for everything.'

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have!