Hardware Delivered -- need advice on next steps

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kurtchan

Hardware Delivered -- need advice on next steps

Post by kurtchan » Wed May 31, 2006 7:41 am

First, thank you for all your helpful hints about how to inform the doctor's prescription for a CPAP and mask.

Now that it's been delivered and I'm preparing to use it for the first time tonight, I have a few more questions that I hope you'll weigh in on before I use it for the first time. Just for the sake of reference, I am now the proud owner/renter of a ResMed S8 CPAP (set at a pressure of 11) with a HumidAire 3i and a Mirage Activa nasal mask.

Questions:

1) I was told to clean both the mask and the humidifier with soap that has no fragrance, no moisturizer and no anti-bacterial agents. In NYC, one of the dirtiest places on the face of the earth, that's tough to find. I did buy some ecologically sound dish soap that seems to meet the above criteria. Anything else you can recommend? Also, do the mask and humidifier really need to be cleaned, rinsed and dried every day? Sounds like a full-time job!

2) The clinician who delivered and supposedly explained the setup of the equipment suggested that, within the very near future, I ask my doctor to prescribe additional masks so that they're covered under the 3-month adjustment period (until I own the stuff) and so that I have a repetoire of masks from which to choose and possibly rotate. He suggested the ResMed Vista and also the Swift Nasal. Any other suggestions?

3) I understand the concept of "ramping" and I'm assuming that, for the first time especially, I should set the machine to increase the pressure as slowly as possible. Thoughts?

4) Because of the dirt and airborne grime in NYC, the clinician was adamant about changing the air filter every two weeks instead of every month. Although I can't see a downside to this, especially if the filters are covered by insurance, I wondered if you'd care to comment.

5) I'm thrilled with the relatively compact size of the machine because I'm going to need to travel with it regularly -- starting tomorrow. Any hints on how to pack it? Should it go on an airplane in the checked luggage or as carry-on? Would it be adviseable to have a letter from the doctor in case I'm stopped and questioned at security?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts, suggestions or helpful hints you can offer. I'm 100% resolved to make this work for me and I can use all the advice and support I can get!

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): resmed, humidifier, mirage, activa, swift, CPAP, Prescription, clean, Travel

HappyHoser

Post by HappyHoser » Wed May 31, 2006 8:07 pm

You have a good machine-mask start up! There are a ton of posts (and opinions) about cleaning habits. I think the best advice is to do what makes you feel most comfortable, there is trial an error required. If you are like most of us, you'll start off with really good habits and over time you'll just shake the dust out of the mask and slap'er on. You're starting with a very popular mask (and machine) so give it a couple of weeks to form some opinions then throw some posts up here to see what others think. I never found ramping to be necessary personally but the same thing applies, give it a try and see if you need it. You might find that you're perfectly comfortable starting up at 11. Keep us posted!

dllfo

Post by dllfo » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:23 am

Kurtchan...congratulations, sounds like you are already light years ahead of
me.

My tech mentioned changing the white filter on my Respironics Auto Bipap
monthly ...but the manual said something about changing it when it is dirty
or torn. I do take the gray foam rubber filter out and wash it once a week,
BUT I have two large HEPA air filters going in my bedroom and they pull most
of the "dust" out of the air. I have to clean their filters once a month and
they ARE dirty.

IF your bedroom/sleeping area is like mine, you might be able to go longer.
If you sleep with your windows open, or leave the windows open all day...you
may have to change it like your tech says.

You might also read your owner's manual...what does it suggest?

Either way, I wish you well with the machine, they are supposed to be real
good ones...

Installing Software is like pushing a rope uphill.
I have Encore Pro 1.8.65 but could not find it listed
under software.

I LOVE the SV.

birdiebaby

Post by birdiebaby » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:06 am

1) Also, do the mask and humidifier really need to be cleaned, rinsed and dried every day?
You'll find lots of different opinions and personal practices on this issue. Search through the forum for some very detailed threads. My doctor recommends daily cleanings, and so I do.
3) I understand the concept of "ramping" and I'm assuming that, for the first time especially, I should set the machine to increase the pressure as slowly as possible. Thoughts?
You have the ability to set the ramp *time* on your machine. The machine will start at its lowest pressure and ramp to your titrated pressure. I would suggest a half hour or so sometime today with your mask on before you retire for bed. It helped me acclimatize to it. The first night was... um... an adjustment, but at least I didn't freak out from the mask!
4) Because of the dirt and airborne grime in NYC, the clinician was adamant about changing the air filter every two weeks instead of every month. Although I can't see a downside to this, especially if the filters are covered by insurance, I wondered if you'd care to comment.

I'm interested in hearing others' opinions on this. I live in an urban environment, too. And I am inclined to think that 6 months is way too long considering our windows are open year-round.
luggage or as carry-on? Would it be adviseable to have a letter from the doctor in case I'm stopped and questioned at security?
Medical devices are exempt from carry-on baggage limitations. They may hand search your machine; they may run it through the screening device. You shouldn't have any trouble with it. They see these things all the time. Your S8 should have come with a laptop-like carry bag. That's your best bet. You should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER put anything of value in your checked luggage. That includes prescriptions and medical devices. My DH is a mgr of operations for an airline. I hear daily stories about how a bag fell off of a tug and got run over, or it got stuck in the belt and ripped up. Keep your valuables with you