Use of vaporizing menthol in CPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChristianC

Use of vaporizing menthol in CPAP machine

Post by ChristianC » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:41 am

I have experienced a debilitating cold during the past week with hacking cough that won't quit and that nothing seems to cure. I am thinking of adding a vaporizing menthol to the water of my CPAP machine. It seems to me to be a reasonable thing to do although I am concerned about keeping the menthol all night long. Has anyone done this and with what results?

zoocrewphoto

Re: Use of vaporizing menthol in CPAP machine

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:56 am

It is not recommended to put anything directly in the water. But many people will put it on a cotton ball behind the air intake. If it gets to be too much, you can just move it further away or remove it.

There is also a a little vicks nasal inhaler you can use before you go to bed. I have one that I keep in my bag that goes to work in case I get stuffed up and need to use something.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:01 am

I thought of something else. I had an unexplained cough that would go on for weeks at a time. I finally figured out that it was caused by an allergic reaction to something I was being exposed to repeatedly but not consistently. At first, my doctor prescribed cough syrpup with codeine, which did help a lot as I could finally sleep with my mask on. The coughing fits were too frequent and too long to keep a full face mask on. Later, when I asked for more, she switched me to tessalon pearles, a small pill that reduces cough. Last longer and no bad taste. She also prescribed a special inhaler that I only need to use when I start having more asthma problems with the bad cough.

Those might be options that could help you get that cough under control. I would definitely talk to your doctor and explain that it is messing with your sleep and preventing you from using your cpap effectively.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

kismet210

Post by kismet210 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:27 am

Hello there,

In case you're still experiencing your cold...

I rub a liberal amount of Vick's Vaporub on my feet and put on a pair of heavier socks before I go to bed when I find I'm fighting a cold and it's tough to use my mask. It seems to help with coughing as well as breathing.

I work with a lot of people right now that are dealing with the same thing and have been for some time.I swear the only reason I haven't caught it yet is because of CPAP and my body functioning so much better!

Hope you're feeling better!

HerbM

Post by HerbM » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:22 am

Glad you folks are discussing this as my thoughts were starting to turn towards the possibility of adding something to my humidifier.

I like the cotton ball idea and the control it gives of being able to "shut it off" by moving it away.

Old story: My mother used to give me Vaporub on my chest, and in my mouth and nose when I was very little -- I loved it, and presumably people have been doing this for 120 years and yet today we know that petrolatum can cause problems and the product is marked "For External Use Only" now.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicks_VapoRub
http://www.vicks.com/products/vapo-fami ... -ointment/

Nobody we know ever died or got sicker but better safe than sorry. I wonder if they could make something with a different base that was safer?

--
Sweet Dreams,
HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-14 w/AHI: 0.2 avg for 7-days

"We can all breath together or we will all suffocate alone."

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:29 am

ChristianC wrote:I have experienced a debilitating cold during the past week with hacking cough that won't quit and that nothing seems to cure. I am thinking of adding a vaporizing menthol to the water of my CPAP machine. It seems to me to be a reasonable thing to do although I am concerned about keeping the menthol all night long. Has anyone done this and with what results?
Bad idea.

Den

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:38 pm

I purchased this product (Geez, it's 5 bucks less now!)
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Pur-Sl ... -Pack.html
The Clear and Calm fragrances are in their Sinus Blaster pack.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/cpap-a ... aster.html
Menthol and eucalyptus scents have been observed to help with congestion,
but must be used sparingly to avoid the opposite effect.
Essential oils can also be found at health food stores--look for "food grade' products.
Or you can just use Vicks.
--very important: don't put nuttin' in the water--if it's too much you will be up
scrubbing in the wee small hours, and we don't like that.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:33 pm

Don't put anything in the water. EVER.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

sleepy711

Post by sleepy711 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:11 am

Adding menthol to the water then adds it to the air you are breathing into your lungs which could lead to irritation of your lung tissues if not more serious health problems. That's the reason for not adding anything to your water. Take care of one problem only to walk right into another.

Make sure you are properly cleaning all of your equipment. Any mold or bacteria in the mask, tubing and water chamber can lead to ongoing sinus problems.

If you are using a nasal mask or full face mask, consider trying a nasal pillows mask with the resistance set to 3, 4 or 5 in the set up menu.

Flushing your nose with a Nedi Pot can do wonders for congestion. Be especially careful with Afrin or other nasal sprays as they often have a rebound effect. There is an eBook about many CPAP issues called "My Little CPAP Book" from iTunes or Kindle. It can be very helpful.

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:44 am

sleepy711 wrote:There is an eBook about many CPAP issues called "My Little CPAP Book" from iTunes or Kindle. It can be very helpful.
No it's not. I read it and it's worthless.
You Kids Have Fun!!

ChristianC

Post by ChristianC » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:35 pm

HerbM wrote:Glad you folks are discussing this as my thoughts were starting to turn towards the possibility of adding something to my humidifier.
I like the cotton ball idea and the control it gives of being able to "shut it off" by moving it away.
I have read the various answers from several people recommending NOT to use menthol drops in their CPAP machine and I don't think I agree. Let me explain:

[1] As a child raised in Western Europe before and during World War II, my mother had me use an inhaler with menthol (or similar) drops in it. The inhaler consisted of a round metallic container which you filled with boiling water, and a second inclined part into which you could place your face in order to breathe the vapors. Sometimes people added a towel over their heads in order to promote additional sweating. I remember using the device and finding a lot of relief from its use.

[2] Fast forward 60+ years later. I went to Rite Aid a few days ago an bought a Vicks Inhaler. It looks pretty much like my old inhaler (above) but has some additional features:
[a] It can be connected to your 120V power source so that the water is kept constantly boiling.
It has adjustable vents so you can calibrate the amount of hot vapor you inhale.
[c] The manufacturer does not want you to add menthol or camphor to the water. That makes a lot of sense in this case, since the water is kept in a boiling state and the mentholated vapors would probably cause you some severe burns. The manufacturer alleviates that by selling you circular paper gadgets containing the menthol or camphor. The gadget is kept above the water level and therefore does not cause burns. So far so good.

[3] Now to the issue of adding menthol or camphor drops to your CPAP water reservoir. Should you or shouldn't you? We just saw in [2] above that the reason for NOT doing this with an electric inhaler is because the water is kept at a boiling state. Again this could be dangerous. BUT - I question why it would be dangerous in the case of a CPAP machine. Why? SIMPLY BECAUSE, WHILE THE WATER OF YOUR CPAP MACHINE IS INDEED heated, IT IS NEVER MORE (at least in my case) THAN CAUSING THE WATER TO BE WARM, NEVER HOT.

Bottom line: I will add 3 drops of liquid camphor to my CPAP water reservoir tonight prior to going to bed and will set my alarm clock to wake me up 3 hours later. I will post the results in a couple days. (I love the idea of the cotton ball and would use it if I could, except I do not see where I could place it on my CPAP water reservoir).

bighead

Post by bighead » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 am

Janknitz wrote:Don't put anything in the water. EVER.
They are trying to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids!

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:55 am

ChristianC wrote: [2] Fast forward 60+ years later. I went to Rite Aid a few days ago an bought a Vicks Inhaler. It looks pretty much like my old inhaler (above) but has some additional features:
[a] It can be connected to your 120V power source so that the water is kept constantly boiling.
It has adjustable vents so you can calibrate the amount of hot vapor you inhale.
[c] The manufacturer does not want you to add menthol or camphor to the water. That makes a lot of sense in this case, since the water is kept in a boiling state and the mentholated vapors would probably cause you some severe burns. The manufacturer alleviates that by selling you circular paper gadgets containing the menthol or camphor. The gadget is kept above the water level and therefore does not cause burns. So far so good.

Is the above mentioned device intended for you to breathe it directly at high dosage ALL night long? Connected to your face with no other outlet?

I have only seen two items for breathing in vicks vapor. One is a steamer that steams into the room, and is not something forced into you via a mask. The other is a tiny little inhaler that you breathe into your nose. It is only intended to have one inhalation per nare, and only 2-3 times per day. Not something you would breathe in for 5 minutes let along all night.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:06 am

ChristianC wrote:(I love the idea of the cotton ball and would use it if I could, except I do not see where I could place it on my CPAP water reservoir).
Goes outside the machine in the back where the filter is for the air intake.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CapnCPAPn

Post by CapnCPAPn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:25 am

I was told to only put distilled water in, otherwise it would void the warranty. I could break my machine and they would replace it, but anything but distilled water is a warranty killer.

I imagine adding anything to the water would be bad.

Put some Vicks on your chest or something.