Use of vaporizing menthol in CPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
avi123

Re: Use of vaporizing menthol in CPAP machine

Post by avi123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:41 am

Janknitz wrote:Don't put anything in the water. EVER.

Ancient Secrets Nasal Cleansing Salt Packets

$5.95 for 40 packets

What about adding one packet of this salt to the one cup water in the humidifier:

Quick view

Non-iodized Pure Salt for the practice of nasal cleansing and moisturizing of nasal passages also known as "Neti"

This premeasured salt may be used with any brand of nasal cleansing pot or nasal saline rinse squeeze bottle

Many people practice Neti on a daily basis to keep their nasal passages clean and moisturized, and improve their ability to breathe without mucus obstruction. Most find it a soothing and pleasant practice once they try it. If you are one of the many people who find that their nasal passages are obstructed as a result of the effects of pollution, dust, pollen and other irritants, you may find this simple cleansing technique of invaluable benefit to you.

The practice of nasal cleansing has been used by practitioners of yoga and ayurveda in India for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. The simplest technique uses water mixed with a small amount of salt for the cleansing process. We have simplified this process for you, by providing you pre-measured packets of pure salt to mix into your nasal cleansing pot. We recommend the patented Ancient Secrets® Nasal Cleansing Pot as the ideal product to conduct this simple cleansing routine.
•No Iodine
•No Additives
•No Anti-Caking Agents

Contents: 40 premeasured .07oz (2 grams) Packets
Net Weight: 40 x .07 oz. = 2.8oz (80 grams)

Made in USA

Questions? 800-824-6396

Usage instructions: Use pre-measured packet (¼ teaspoon) salt with 8 oz luke warm (not hot or cold) water that has been previously boiled or distilled into your nasal cleansing pot. Follow the instructions for use of the nasal cleansing product you own.

Lotus Brands, Inc.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

bighead

Post by bighead » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:36 pm

CapnCPAPn wrote:I was told to only put distilled water in, otherwise it would void the warranty. I could break my machine and they would replace it, but anything but distilled water is a warranty killer.

I imagine adding anything to the water would be bad.

Put some Vicks on your chest or something.
Working in a service industry and being a tinkerer, I understand both sides of the warranty coin.

Though my insurance is (thankfully) amazing and would probably pay for a new CPAP if I voided the warranty and killed it, my general rule of thumb is to start with the least intrusive methods first. Fewer questions get asked that way, and a skilled technician would probably be able to figure out what happened if something in the water was directly related to a failure.

The cotton ball at the rear filter intake might be something I try with my S9. I'll see how it goes and report back.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:29 pm

For the past 3+ years I have been using "salt water" in my humidifier. I have not suffered any lung damage nor brain damage nor any damage at all. I have been able to avoid congestion issues with my nasal passages. In addition, my machine has not suffered any damage nor has my humidifier tank.

I am very careful to make sure the concentration of salt ions is below any threshold that would cause damage to the body. I am also very careful not to spill salt water into the machine.

If the idea is to add menthol to the humidifier water you need to first determine what the threshold values are that would cause damage to the body. Once that is determined you need to be well below that concentration. If you aren't willing to do the testing to determine the concentrations you are being exposed to, it would be better to not add anything to the humidifier water.

beatrice

Post by beatrice » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:30 pm

I have a cpap with on water vapper system so I have been putting vicks on a Qutip and in my noes it goes. Not a hole lot just to keep my nose from drying out. Yes I know that might be bad Qutip and all but what eles.? squeez and wipe off any extra. I was concerned about the vicks , but it seams to take care the sore spots in my nose. I have the nose plug head gear. and clean nose pice

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:15 pm

If you are not having a problem with a tiny smear of Vicks inside your nose, it's probably mostly harmless.
You just need to be very careful absolutely no loose gobs are in there, as the stuff contains petrolatum,
which can cause a specific and nasty form of pneumonia if it gets into your lungs.
--You have been warned! --Our collective butts are now covered. You are welcome.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:20 pm

My wife put menthol in her room humidifier and it left a film that was "very" hard to get out.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:57 am

ChristianC wrote: 2/20/14
I have read the various answers from several people recommending NOT to use menthol drops in their CPAP machine and I don't think I agree. Let me explain:

[1] As a child raised in Western Europe before and during World War II, my mother had me use an inhaler with menthol (or similar) drops in it. The inhaler consisted of a round metallic container which you filled with boiling water, and a second inclined part into which you could place your face in order to breathe the vapors. Sometimes people added a towel over their heads in order to promote additional sweating. I remember using the device and finding a lot of relief from its use.

[2] Fast forward 60+ years later. I went to Rite Aid a few days ago an bought a Vicks Inhaler. It looks pretty much like my old inhaler (above) but has some additional features:
[a] It can be connected to your 120V power source so that the water is kept constantly boiling.
It has adjustable vents so you can calibrate the amount of hot vapor you inhale.
[c] The manufacturer does not want you to add menthol or camphor to the water. That makes a lot of sense in this case, since the water is kept in a boiling state and the mentholated vapors would probably cause you some severe burns. The manufacturer alleviates that by selling you circular paper gadgets containing the menthol or camphor. The gadget is kept above the water level and therefore does not cause burns. So far so good.

[3] Now to the issue of adding menthol or camphor drops to your CPAP water reservoir. Should you or shouldn't you? We just saw in [2] above that the reason for NOT doing this with an electric inhaler is because the water is kept at a boiling state. Again this could be dangerous. BUT - I question why it would be dangerous in the case of a CPAP machine. Why? SIMPLY BECAUSE, WHILE THE WATER OF YOUR CPAP MACHINE IS INDEED heated, IT IS NEVER MORE (at least in my case) THAN CAUSING THE WATER TO BE WARM, NEVER HOT.

Bottom line: I will add 3 drops of liquid camphor to my CPAP water reservoir tonight prior to going to bed and will set my alarm clock to wake me up 3 hours later. I will post the results in a couple days. (I love the idea of the cotton ball and would use it if I could, except I do not see where I could place it on my CPAP water reservoir).

Never heard from again. Mmmmm?

Last edited by Jay Aitchsee on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:30 am

Try a little Eucalyptus oil on a cotton ball. Get at a health-food store. You can mix in a little lavender and frankincense to calm things down and improve scent. Just a drop or two of each place in front of air intake filter not on filter. Neti pot or "Simply Saline" rinse before bed. Works for me.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:47 am

The cotton ball is by far the best plan.
Many times I have had to move it away from the machine because the smell was simply too intense!

ironhands

Post by ironhands » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:04 pm

I just don't use mine if i'm congested, don't really feel much different in the morning either way

I wouldn't recommend adding salt to the humidifier, it'll crust up. wonder though, if anyone's made something to add on to the hose to do the same thing. Might be interesting to see, but it would likely screw up the effectiveness of the machine... but if you're too congested to use it, might be the lesser of the two issues.

Saw someone posting a neti pot. If anyone uses one, ALWAYS use distilled or boiled water. You do not want a brain eating parasite going through your sinuses (unless you do, in which case, enjoy!).