Reviews of new AirFit P10 Resmed nasal pillow mask thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bookbear

Re: Reviews of new AirFit P10 Resmed nasal pillow mask thread

Post by Bookbear » Tue May 27, 2014 10:16 pm

[quote="Double A"
Try tossing the fabric of the headgear in the washing machine and dryer, it will tighten it up.[/quote]

The head gear is elastic, and dryer heat is murder on elastic, long term. Better, I think, to hand wash and then air dry, it should last longer then.

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Tue May 27, 2014 10:21 pm

ems wrote: If the sizes of the headgear are the same for both the For Her and the regular - does anyone know about the sizes of nasal pillows? Does this mean that a medium size pillow in the regular package is different from the medium size in the For Her package??
No, the pillows are the same. The difference is that the 'For Her' has no Large, but does include an Extra Small. I thought the head gear was smaller, too, but apparently that is not so.... so why make two colors of head gear? Blue/gray and pink/gray??

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Tue May 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Pugsy wrote:I look at things this way. There are several masks that I could use and be successful with but for various reasons I have personal preferences as to why I prefer one over another. I think personal preference is very important and I am all for keeping myself happy. I try something new if it looks interesting just because I am curious. Not necessarily because I am unhappy with what I am using. The experimenting helps relieve the boredom and I am lucky that I am into the "boring" side of my cpap therapy. Plus you never know what you will learn...sometimes that things aren't as bad as you thought they would be...sometimes things are much better than you thought they would be and on occasional I learn that things are worse than I ever imagined. No experiment is a waste though..I always learn something...even if all I learn was "what a waste of money"
Amen and amen!

NYCzzz

Post by NYCzzz » Wed May 28, 2014 9:01 am

This is my first time posting. I usually am just a reader bc I tend to agree with consensus, but in this case I don't think I do. I have used a Swift FX for over a year and have been quite happy with it. The noise of the airstream is a bit of a nuisance if pointed in the wrong direction, though my partner doesn't seem to mind. I just bought the AirFIT P10 and when I put it on I immediately felt that it was too tight and, therefore, uncomfortable. While I admire the simplicity of the design, how about the same simple design in S, M, L, XL, etc.... HELLO, RESMED, ARE YOU LISTENING!? ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL!

That issue has been well documented here, so let me move on to another CON with the AirFit P10 I think is worth talking about. I am a side sleeper. When comparing the 2 masks side by side, it's impossible not to notice how much more comfortable the SwiftFX is... the strong, structural plastic piece on the AirFit juts out onto the side of my cheek when lying on my side, whereas the SwiftFX sits flush and is smooth. Has anyone else noticed this?

I stretched the heck out of my headgear (using my knees to pull it away from my body) and plan to give the AirFit P10 another try as i WANT to like it more (it's so light!), but as of now, the Swift FX is still the leader in comfort for me as a side sleeper with (apparently) a big head.

NYCzzz

Post by NYCzzz » Wed May 28, 2014 9:06 am

I forgot to mention -- I tried the Swift Airfit/FX hybrid. It was VERY easy to do, and did solve the problem of tightness. I felt the mask felt a bit clunky, though. it lacked that weightless feel of the AirFit P10 with the intended one size fits all straps. It's all about give and take, still figuring out what works best for me...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 28, 2014 9:19 am

NYCzzz wrote:I am a side sleeper. When comparing the 2 masks side by side, it's impossible not to notice how much more comfortable the SwiftFX is... the strong, structural plastic piece on the AirFit juts out onto the side of my cheek when lying on my side, whereas the SwiftFX sits flush and is smooth. Has anyone else noticed this?
It hasn't been a problem for me and I am a predominantly side sleeper who even on occasion ends up on her stomach with face nearly buried in the bed pillow.
NYCzzz wrote:It's all about give and take, still figuring out what works best for me...
And this is what each of us has to do with any mask out there. My Pros might be someone else's cons and my cons might be someone else's Pros. No mask is ever going to fit 100% of the population perfectly and no mask is ever going to satisfy 100% of the population. We are all individuals with different facial structure...different preferences...different needs...different wants and differences in what is important to us and difference in what are deal makers and deal breakers.
chunkyfrog wrote:As a mask loosens up as it is stretched and soiled, we are told that
washing the headgear will refresh the stretch and return it to original size.
Has anyone observed this? --and to what degree?
And yes...my headgear is now disgustingly loose. I have washed it once by hand in hot water in an effort to shrink it. It helped a little but in no way returned to original out of the box tension. I still get a great leak line for the most part though and I sleep well....so it works for me.
Still using same head gear and same nasal pillows that I started with in mid January when I got this new mask.
Been too lazy to do the Tap Pap boil and fit thing again and no real urgent desire or need at the moment so I continue with the P10.
No, it's not perfect but then no mask ever is.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

NYCzzz

Post by NYCzzz » Thu May 29, 2014 11:06 am

I know when changing masks it can take some time to get acclimated to the new mask, BUT, my AHI last night with the AirFit P10 was 8.0. I've been using the Swift FX for a year+ and average around 2.0. Difficulty sleeping I expected when trying a new mask, but a spike in my AHI?! It's back to the Swift FX for me. And all things considered, the only benefit I saw to the AirFit was the lack of airflow stream. Despite the Swift Fx being slightly heavier (if not for the AirFit I would have never thought to call the Swift FX heavy), the Seift FX comfort is much better for me overall. Experiment done for me, good luck to the rest of you finding the right mask!

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Thu May 29, 2014 11:20 am

Pugsy wrote:No, it's not perfect but then no mask ever is.
I have to say that the P10 is as close to perfect as I can imagine. My nose seems to have adapted well, and as the headgear has loosened it has become more comfortable without any increase in leaks. And my leak numbers for my first six days were:

Code: Select all

Thu.   Fri.   Sat.   Sun.   Mon.   Tue.
Avg.  0.02   0.38   0.05   0.08   0.06   0.01
95%   0.00   3.60   0.27   0.00   0.00   0.00
Max   1.20   6.00   0.54   2.40   2.40   1.20
Note that I am using the weighted average, not the median or mean.

NYCzzz

Post by NYCzzz » Thu May 29, 2014 11:41 am

The Latinist wrote:
Pugsy wrote:No, it's not perfect but then no mask ever is.
I have to say that the P10 is as close to perfect as I can imagine. My nose seems to have adapted well, and as the headgear has loosened it has become more comfortable without any increase in leaks. And my leak numbers for my first six days were:

Code: Select all

Thu.   Fri.   Sat.   Sun.   Mon.   Tue.
Avg.  0.02   0.38   0.05   0.08   0.06   0.01
95%   0.00   3.60   0.27   0.00   0.00   0.00
Max   1.20   6.00   0.54   2.40   2.40   1.20
Note that I am using the weighted average, not the median or mean.
<< how do you get leakage data? On my S9 Apap I don't get this info (I asked them to allow it but only the doc can see this... Tried to change in settings but not an option ). Guess u use external software?

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Thu May 29, 2014 12:26 pm

They "don't allow it" by not telling you that if you hold down two particular buttons for three seconds you can change any setting on the machine you want. Check your PMs.

But, yes, I use SleepyHead to read the data from my SD card.

NYCzzz

Post by NYCzzz » Thu May 29, 2014 1:01 pm

The Latinist wrote:They "don't allow it" by not telling you that if you hold down two particular buttons for three seconds you can change any setting on the machine you want. Check your PMs.

But, yes, I use SleepyHead to read the data from my SD card.
Yes I'm familiar w how to change settings but for some reason leakage was not one of the options I can even view... Will try SleepyHead. Thanks.

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Thu May 29, 2014 1:06 pm

NYCzzz wrote:Yes I'm familiar w how to change settings but for some reason leakage was not one of the options I can even view... Will try SleepyHead. Thanks.
The information you need is the link I sent you via PM. You need the Clinical Info menu, which you can access from the Clinical Setup menu (see the Clinical manual). Alternatively, you can access the same info from the Advanced Info menu by holding down both rectangular buttons for three seconds.

ems

Post by ems » Thu May 29, 2014 1:20 pm

An interesting happening for those who complained about the plastic piece of the Airfit resting on the upper lip...

I was unusually tired and cranky last night and along with the headgear feeling tight, I felt the plastic piece resting heavily on my upper lip. I wasn't happy. I tossed the hose up and over my head and it landed on the pillow behind the bed pillow I use. I realized that the plastic piece was no longer resting on my upper lip and, in fact, the headgear had moved slightly more toward my cheek bones and didn't feel as tight.

Best night's sleep I've had in a while.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

bavinck

Post by bavinck » Thu May 29, 2014 1:23 pm

ems wrote:An interesting happening for those who complained about the plastic piece of the Airfit resting on the upper lip...

I was unusually tired and cranky last night and along with the headgear feeling tight, I felt the plastic piece resting heavily on my upper lip. I wasn't happy. I tossed the hose up and over my head and it landed on the pillow behind the bed pillow I use. I realized that the plastic piece was no longer resting on my upper lip and, in fact, the headgear had moved slightly more toward my cheek bones and didn't feel as tight.

Interesting you noticed this. I have not noticed the plastic part resting on my upper lip, but I use a host stand that pulls the hose up above my head. That would be the same affect you are noticing.
Auto 9-15cm
SleepyHead v0.9.3

ems

Post by ems » Thu May 29, 2014 1:29 pm

bavinck wrote:
ems wrote:An interesting happening for those who complained about the plastic piece of the Airfit resting on the upper lip...

Interesting you noticed this. I have not noticed the plastic part resting on my upper lip, but I use a host stand that pulls the hose up above my head. That would be the same affect you are noticing.
Yes, I see what you mean. I didn't think I'd like using a stand or the hose going over my head, but I may just change my mind. I'll wait a while and see if what I did continues to work.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~