Reviews of new AirFit P10 Resmed nasal pillow mask thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bavinck

Re: Reviews of new AirFit P10 Resmed nasal pillow mask thread

Post by bavinck » Thu May 29, 2014 1:33 pm

ems wrote:
bavinck wrote:
ems wrote:An interesting happening for those who complained about the plastic piece of the Airfit resting on the upper lip...

I was unusually tired and cranky last night and along with the headgear feeling tight, I felt the plastic piece resting heavily on my upper lip. I wasn't happy. I tossed the hose up and over my head and it landed on the pillow behind the bed pillow I use. I realized that the plastic piece was no longer resting on my upper lip and, in fact, the headgear had moved slightly more toward my cheek bones and didn't feel as tight.

Best night's sleep I've had in a while.
Interesting you noticed this. I have not noticed the plastic part resting on my upper lip, but I use a host stand that pulls the hose up above my head. That would be the same affect you are noticing.
Yes, I see what you mean. I didn't think I'd like using a stand or the hose going over my head, but I may just change my mind. I'll wait a while and see if what I did continues to work.
LOVE my hose stand - single best thing I have ever added to my basic cpap setup - revolutionized freedom for me in the bed!!!
Auto 9-15cm
SleepyHead v0.9.3

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 29, 2014 7:01 pm

NYCzzz wrote: Yes I'm familiar w how to change settings but for some reason leakage was not one of the options I can even view... Will try SleepyHead
Leakage data on the LCD screen is available (assuming you can see the AHI) but I think you have to change something to get to it and it's only the 95% leak rate anyway. The other numbers are only available using the software. I never bother with the LCD screen data so I don't know the exact steps to get to AHI and leak data.

Also...you need to make sure that the Sleep Quality setting in the clinical menu is set to "On" and not "Usage". Usage is the factory default and only shows basic summary data. You will for sure need it set to "On" when using Sleepyhead or you get no data at all.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 29, 2014 7:05 pm

NYCzzz wrote:BUT, my AHI last night with the AirFit P10 was 8.0.
What was the AHI breakdown into each event category?
It could have been a fluke night. I get those wild ones every now and then.
It could maybe be mainly centrals that got flagged while awake and wouldn't really be related to therapy anyway.
I would never base anything on just the AHI number without seeing the event category breakdown and see when those events got flagged.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 29, 2014 7:11 pm

ems wrote:I was unusually tired and cranky last night and along with the headgear feeling tight, I felt the plastic piece resting heavily on my upper lip. I wasn't happy. I tossed the hose up and over my head and it landed on the pillow behind the bed pillow I use. I realized that the plastic piece was no longer resting on my upper lip and, in fact, the headgear had moved slightly more toward my cheek bones and didn't feel as tight.
What you did is pretty much what I have always done with all my nasal pillow masks. I don't use a hose management system either.
Routing the hose up around the bed pillow and top of my head and then coming down to my face is what I have always done and suits my needs. My headboard is actually an antique iron bed with lots of scroll work. I have routed the hose through one of the lower scrolls about an inch or so above my mattress so it comes in a little higher and with routing around the top of my head...I don't really need a hose management system. This works great with the Tap Pap too since that's where the hose wants to go anyway.

I am wondering if the weight of the hose with it hanging down was adding to the tension you were experiencing with the headgear.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 29, 2014 7:23 pm

The Latinist wrote:I have to say that the P10 is as close to perfect as I can imagine. My nose seems to have adapted well, and as the headgear has loosened it has become more comfortable without any increase in leaks.
I think we have a nasal pillow convert in you. Another one who thought they just had to use a FFM for some reason who found out that nasal pillows are really nice.

Yes, the P10 is close to perfect for me too. Though I have some really high standards for "perfect" and the only thing that would be "perfect" for me would be nasal pillows with no headgear and no mouth guard being needed. If I could duct tape those suckers to my nose and they would stay put...that's what I would do. Believe me...I have looked at doing something like that.
I just have this thing about having the least amount of "stuff" on my face as possible. The Tap Pap does the no headgear thing but then I have the mouth guard which isn't horrible and in fact I forget it's there most of the time but I would still prefer nothing if it were a perfect world.

For sheer simplicity though...the P10 is a winner for sure and the loss of the vent noise or air flow is a home run.
It's kinda nice not to have to fiddle with the mouth guard and have to wash that mouth guard daily. Now that the headgear has loosened up a little I don't really notice it is even there. I haven't decided if I want to change my "official" primary mask yet though. For sure the Swift FX has been moved to number 3 spot in preferences though.
I guess I need to get the Tap Pap out and redo the mouth guard and see just how much that vent noise is....it isn't silent but it has been a while since I used it...back in mid January. I got the P10 and the S9 Adapt started at the same time. The P10 just to try it as it was new and kept using it when I had a problem with a lower tooth that the mouth guard could aggravate....and just never got around to refitting the mouth guard. Lazy and the P10 was working so good no real urgent need to go back to the Tap Pap.

ems

Post by ems » Thu May 29, 2014 9:16 pm

Pugsy wrote:I am wondering if the weight of the hose with it hanging down was adding to the tension you were experiencing with the headgear.
Having the same thoughts. But in actuality I would toss it on top of my comforter. Bet it was still pulling on it tho b/c it felt completely different last nite. I almost can't wait to go to sleep tonight.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

ems

Post by ems » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:11 pm

There was some talk about the straps on the Airfit tightening up after it's washed. Didn't happen with mine. I stretched it a few times during the day while it dried and that was about it. When I put it on it felt the same as before I washed it. For me, that was a good thing.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

NYCzzz

Post by NYCzzz » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:47 pm

I decided to give the AirFit another try. in my disgust with the tightness I actually found a solution for it! Using force I forced a rip in the side straps on both sides where ResMed is written. The rips (1-2 inches on each side, miraculously right down the middle) loosened up the straps. If I were to do this again with new straps I'd use scissors and be more exact, but the result is what matters -- it loosened up the straps enough so that it's no longer too tight! I'd send a photo if i could figure out how to post a photo on here...

NYCzzz

Post by NYCzzz » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:28 pm

The Latinist wrote:They "don't allow it" by not telling you that if you hold down two particular buttons for three seconds you can change any setting on the machine you want. Check your PMs.

But, yes, I use SleepyHead to read the data from my SD card.

I just realized that my machine is the ResMed Escape Auto, not the AutoSet.. This forum doesn't even list the Escape Auto as one of the devices. I'm guessing this is the reason I'm having so much trouble finding any data!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:36 pm

NYCzzz wrote: I just realized that my machine is the ResMed Escape Auto, not the AutoSet.. This forum doesn't even list the Escape Auto as one of the devices. I'm guessing this is the reason I'm having so much trouble finding any data!
The S9 Escape Auto isn't listed in the menu because the equipment menu choices are tied to products that cpap.com has either sold in the past or sells now. Cpap.com has never sold the S9 Escape Auto so it won't be there.
Just add it to your comments section manually.

You can use ResScan and get the AHI number.
Can't use SleepyHead because it needs the other data files to do any calculations.
So you can use ResScan to see the AHI...just the generic total AHI with no event categories.
Average pressure I think is also shown. Nothing else.
Oh..you would need to make sure that Sleep Quality in the clinical menu set up is changed from "usage" to "On" to even get the limited data of AHI and average pressure. Otherwise all it shows is hours of use.

Little Wing

Post by Little Wing » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:53 pm

A quick fix for those bothered by the plastic part touching your upper lip:

Cut a piece of Dr Scholl's moleskin to fit the part and stick it in onto the part's surface. Now you'll have a nice, soft surface that shouldn't bother.

Little Wing

Post by Little Wing » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Like many of you, I like the AirFit. It isn't perfect, they really need different sizes of headband. I have a large head (7 3/4" hat size) and the band smashed the mask into my nose pretty good early on, even with the bands separated all the way. But it's stretched out a bit since and is now better, if still a little more snug than I'd prefer.

My Swift FX will remain my go-to mask for travel as it's more compactly packable IMHO. I travel often for work, so this aspect is important to me.

NYCzzz

Post by NYCzzz » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Little Wing wrote:Like many of you, I like the AirFit. It isn't perfect, they really need different sizes of headband. I have a large head (7 3/4" hat size) and the band smashed the mask into my nose pretty good early on, even with the bands separated all the way. But it's stretched out a bit since and is now better, if still a little more snug than I'd prefer.

My Swift FX will remain my go-to mask for travel as it's more compactly packable IMHO. I travel often for work, so this aspect is important to me.
Try taking a scissors and extending the separation of the straps at the base where it divides (by the ear). start with a small amount, 1/2 an inch. it loosened it up nicely for me, so much more comfortable now

joelrk35

Post by joelrk35 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:33 pm

I haven't read all the posts however I would like to know if anyone who is an incurable mouth breather has tried the P10 with a chin strap. I like the RespCare Hybrid which keeps my mouth closed but I am forever fighting leak problems. I also use a Quattro FX with a chin strap which works pretty good. But the simpleness of the P10 looks pretty neat.

Additional Comments: ClimateLine Heated hose, Sleepyhead software
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
ResMed AirFit F20 Full Face Mask

bunnyslippers

Post by bunnyslippers » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm using the P10 and love it. Currently I'm taping my mouth to keep from mouth breathing. Chinstrap made my teeth hurt, I need some dental work, so the strap is out until I can get that done.
I It like it a lot, I find it easier to use than the FX and a lot more comfortable. I like that it is one strap and no Velcro to fool with. Leaks have not been an issue at all.
I tried face masks but the leak thing drove me nuts.