Reviews of new AirFit P10 Resmed nasal pillow mask thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
idamtnboy

Re: Reviews of new AirFit P10 Resmed nasal pillow mask thread

Post by idamtnboy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:07 pm

TonyG wrote:
bobJuan wrote:Love the mask. After exactly one year however, it's stretched too much. Just bought a new one, and it's way tighter. Yes, I got a bigger rather than smaller head. Hoping they work this out.
If you got a year out of your headgear I would be happy. Have you tried following the manufacturers suggestion to shrink the headgear by washing in hot water? May buy you a bit more time. It does work but obviously needs to be repeated occasionally.
This is one item where the actual product configuration doesn't coincide with insurance and medicare rules and definition. Medicare will replace the mask every 3 months and the headgear only every 6 months. With the P10 it should be the reverse since the mask (not nasal pillow) can easily last 6 months to a year but the headgear/strap is really good only for about 3 or 4 months. The pillows can be replaced at least once a month.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:37 pm

bobJuan wrote:Love the mask. After exactly one year however, it's stretched too much. ... Hoping they work this out.
what's to "work out"? *ALL* headgear wears out.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:41 pm

idamtnboy wrote:Medicare will replace the mask every 3 months and the headgear only every 6 months. With the P10 it should be the reverse since the mask (not nasal pillow) can easily last 6 months to a year but the headgear/strap is really good only for about 3 or 4 months. The pillows can be replaced at least once a month.
don't you get a new headgear with each whole mask?

besides, you're supposed to *wash* the headgear, and it shrinks, I've been using the same frame, pillows *AND* headgear for over a year and a half, I just washed mine again yesterday, fits like new again.

I've got spares, (you should always have spares) but I'm loath to throw away something that still works just fine. (and by 'works just fine' I mean, "leaks are low")

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

dal7443

Post by dal7443 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:06 pm

I used the P10 last night for the first time. No leaks and a great night's sleep. Only issue is the my head size is 7 5/8 and I had a lot of pressure from the P10 on my nostrils resulting in a rather painful experience. Will try again tonight by spreading out the straps more on the back of my head. If anyone has any other suggestions they would be appreciated.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:55 pm

palerider wrote:
idamtnboy wrote:Medicare will replace the mask every 3 months and the headgear only every 6 months. With the P10 it should be the reverse since the mask (not nasal pillow) can easily last 6 months to a year but the headgear/strap is really good only for about 3 or 4 months. The pillows can be replaced at least once a month.
don't you get a new headgear with each whole mask?

besides, you're supposed to *wash* the headgear, and it shrinks,
Medicare will pay for a complete new mask every 6 months, the mask part every 3 months, and nasal pillows once or twice a month. That means you get a new headgear (strap) only every six months.

I washed mine the other day and hot water does tighten the strap quite a bit. I missed seeing that part of the mask user's instructions!

Cavalier

Post by Cavalier » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:06 pm

I guess I am the only one who can't use the P10. I bought one to try it because of all the wonderful reviews. It was incredibly comfortable, I love the fact that I don't get a cold stream of cold air on my arms and I could actually sleep on my side..... BUT....the excessive and consistent leaks made it impossible for me to use it for more than 2 hours each night I tried it. I am bummed.
Given enough sleep....I could rule the world.

CaptainRaven40

Post by CaptainRaven40 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:22 am

idamtnboy wrote:
TonyG wrote:
bobJuan wrote:Love the mask. After exactly one year however, it's stretched too much. Just bought a new one, and it's way tighter. Yes, I got a bigger rather than smaller head. Hoping they work this out.
If you got a year out of your headgear I would be happy. Have you tried following the manufacturers suggestion to shrink the headgear by washing in hot water? May buy you a bit more time. It does work but obviously needs to be repeated occasionally.
This is one item where the actual product configuration doesn't coincide with insurance and medicare rules and definition. Medicare will replace the mask every 3 months and the headgear only every 6 months. With the P10 it should be the reverse since the mask (not nasal pillow) can easily last 6 months to a year but the headgear/strap is really good only for about 3 or 4 months. The pillows can be replaced at least once a month.
I get new headgear every 3 months. It comes with all of the sizes of the nasal cushions. They replace the whole thing at 3 months for me with Medicare. Every 6 months is what I was told with a full face. I am not sure that is correct though. I can get 2 nasal cushions a month if I so choose to do so as well. A new humidifier chamber every 6 months. New filter every month. New hose every 3 months. This is what Medicare covers for me so far. You may want to do a little more research and see what you are eligible for and when.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:57 pm

CaptainRaven40 wrote:I get new headgear every 3 months.
They're being generous, or the whole kit is cheaper, or they are miscoding the headgear. Medicare replacement schedule is a new headgear every 6 months. They don't distinguish between various types of masks. When I got just the mask, i.e., the frame last summer I asked, "where's the strap?" "Sorry, the strap is considered headgear and you only get a new one every 6 months."

e006008

Post by e006008 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:34 am

I just started with the AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask, and noticed that the headgear seems to already be stretched out, and I've only had it for two weeks. I got so frustrated last night that I just took it off since the nasal pillow kept going too far down on my face. Anyone know if there's another headgear/strap I can use that's adjustable?

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:11 am

e006008 wrote:I just started with the AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask, and noticed that the headgear seems to already be stretched out, and I've only had it for two weeks. I got so frustrated last night that I just took it off since the nasal pillow kept going too far down on my face. Anyone know if there's another headgear/strap I can use that's adjustable?
It is adjustable by spreading the two straps on the back of the head either closer together or further apart.

The standard fix for it being too loose is to remove the fabric strap from the headgear and watch the strap in very hot water. After drying, it will be smaller.

I wonder if you are stretching the strap more than is necessary when putting it on or removing it? You don't really need to pull or stretch it - just slide it over your head into position. I treat my strap very gently because I know that it stretches.

No single mask works for everyone, but the P10 is the most popular mask currently available. Someone even made it adjustable by cutting the lower strap and sewing a loop with a velcro cable tie so that they could adjust it.

e006008

Post by e006008 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:32 am

I guess its possible I'm stretching it out when I am taking it off or putting it back on. I have been trying to adjust it to make it fit better, but the straps move as I try to sleep so it loosens up.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:15 pm

idamtnboy wrote: I washed mine the other day and hot water does tighten the strap quite a bit. I missed seeing that part of the mask user's instructions!
Me too! But where I DID see it was in an official ResMed video either on their site or on youtube. The video was useful because it's not obvious how to remove to straps from the headgear until you know the method. You have to pull it down until you can get it over the end and then slide it off.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:12 pm

e006008 wrote:I guess its possible I'm stretching it out when I am taking it off or putting it back on. I have been trying to adjust it to make it fit better, but the straps move as I try to sleep so it loosens up.
Sometimes, you can use your hair, for those of us who still have some, to help keep the straps from moving. If you pull the hair just over the bottom strap out so that it hangs over the strap, this can keep the strap from being able to slide up as much. It's a very simple thing, but it can work for many people if they have enough hair in the area.

Anatha

Post by Anatha » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:19 pm

If your mask keeps stretching out try asking to get a set of AirFit P10 Headgear clips. I think the Part number is 62962. I got a set of these today with my new mask setup.

I found this online to describe what I am talking about: https://www.cpapclinic.ca/CPAP-store/Re ... logID=1763

The AirFit P10 for Her was too tight so I went with the regular version which fit perfect but also these clips in case it stretches out.

Anatha

Post by Anatha » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:22 pm

Disclaimer - I am not encouraging you to buy anything from the link I posted. I do not know anything about the store. I only posted the link because it was the only place i could find selling the clips online. I got mine from my home care provider.