light blue spots on pillow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HoseCrusher

Re: light blue spots on pillow

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:52 pm

It is interesting to note that metabolized blood can have a blue or purple tint to it. However this is most often associated with pelvic or nipple discharge fluid. I would guess that the eye could be another source.

Anneh

Post by Anneh » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:07 am

I have been using a CPAP for almost 2 years. Just in the last month, bluish purple stains have started appearing on my pillowcase as well. The stains appear to be caused by ultrafine blue droplets of water, almost as if blue steam is being blown onto the pillowcase. Therefore I'm concerned that I am breathing in whatever is in the humidified air that is making it look blue. My mask has a hole for air to escape near the top of my head, and I think that's where it's coming from (I have a Resmed nasal pillow mask). The only things I can think of are (1) I started using heated tubing in the last 4 months. Could something in the tubing be staining the humidified air? (2) Could the silvery film on the bottom of the humidifier be staining the water? It is also silvery/blue. Any thoughts?

csberti1972

Post by csberti1972 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Anneh,
I've been using cpap for 10 years. Owned 2 different machines with different set-ups and just recently started having the same thing happen. After reading several comments on different threads it seems that no one knows for sure what the cause is.

Hoping it's humidified air seaping through the mask and causing the dye to leak from the headstrap.

I recently purchased a new head strap and even though I had it a few weeks before it started happening I think that might be the problem. I also purchased a new heated hose to make sure it isn't anything more serious.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:21 pm

Nobody has suggested aliens.
The blue is probably lube/disinfectant for the "probe".
Feel better, now?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:35 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Nobody has suggested aliens.
The blue is probably lube/disinfectant for the "probe".
Feel better, now?
Could take the pillow case to the store and match the color to the spot and order pillow cases to match. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire