PLEASE need help with Remstar Pro issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
newhosehead

PLEASE need help with Remstar Pro issues

Post by newhosehead » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:48 pm

Wow, it's been a very long time since I've been here. I hope someone can give me some advice. My remstar pro is acting up a bit. There is a light flashing on the left side of the power button (it has an image that looks like steam rising or something like that) and when I push the ramp button it does not knock the flow down as it should. Yes, I still use ramp.

I guess I have had this thing for awhile but getting another one is so impossible right now I would laugh at the idea if it were remotely funny. I have had no relationship with the DME for a LONG time.

Okay! Now that I have shared everything I cannot do, I would really appreciate it if anyone recognizes these 'symptoms' and might give me an idea what I am dealing with. Thanks in advance.

Jean
Last edited by newhosehead on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equipment: PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP
Pressure Settings: 12 cwp
Mask: Full Face Mirage Quattro

newhosehead

Re: Remstar Pro System One Machine Problems, please advise

Post by newhosehead » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:28 am

bump. hoping for some input.

newhosehead

Re: PLEASE need help with Remstar Pro issues

Post by newhosehead » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:40 am

I've retitled this for one more try. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:54 am

Hi, I think you haven't gotten other answers because it's a bit unclear as to whether you want help to fix your old machine, or are asking about finding a new one inexpensively, or what... but I imagine your old one's had its day and a newer one (if not 'new') would be a great idea. There are various places that deal with 2nd hand-but-still good machines like Secondwind.com, plus people on the forum known to be 'good' sellers such as Stl Mark and/or McDover - guess if you forum-search them you could PM and let them know what you're looking for or what they might suggest (such as a really data capable autopap - software is now downloadable free on the forum for various programs, if only from certain posters - ask if you want to know more). So... does this help at all?

newhosehead

Post by newhosehead » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:24 am

Julie wrote:Hi, I think you haven't gotten other answers because it's a bit unclear as to whether you want help to fix your old machine, or are asking about finding a new one inexpensively, or what... but I imagine your old one's had its day and a newer one (if not 'new') would be a great idea. There are various places that deal with 2nd hand-but-still good machines like Secondwind.com, plus people on the forum known to be 'good' sellers such as Stl Mark and/or McDover - guess if you forum-search them you could PM and let them know what you're looking for or what they might suggest (such as a really data capable autopap - software is now downloadable free on the forum for various programs, if only from certain posters - ask if you want to know more). So... does this help at all?
Yes, I can see it is unclear, sorry about that. I really wondered if anyone had some 'know-how' on the possibility of fixing these things but will gladly check with the 'good' sellers you mention and see what happens.
Yes, you have been of help and I do appreciate it.

Jean

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:40 am

I think the machines are basically unfixable (inside, anyhow), and at the age yours is at, probably not really worth messing with... tho' you could get some help today if you're lucky.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:21 pm

newhosehead wrote:Wow, it's been a very long time since I've been here. I hope someone can give me some advice. My remstar pro is acting up a bit. There is a light flashing on the left side of the power button (it has an image that looks like steam rising or something like that) and when I push the ramp button it does not knock the flow down as it should. Yes, I still use ramp.
The icon on the left side of the power button that looks like a steam rising is connected to the humidifier. If the humidifier is on and working correctly, that steam rising icon should be lit constantly[\i]. According to the "Alert Summary Table (p. 11-12 of the USER guide), a flashing humidifier icon indicates that there is some kind of "humidifier failure." The "Patient Action" column says that if that icon is flashing, the patient should:
Turn off airflow and reconnect the humidifier to the device according to the humidifier instructions. If the alert continues to occur, contact your home care provider.

So that's where to start: First decouple the blower from the humidifier unit, and then reattach the humidifier unit and the blower unit carefully. Make sure they're properly joined and seated. Also make sure that the humidifier tank top and bottom are properly sealed---if you didn't quite get them seated correctly that can cause problems. And make sure the tank is properly seated inside the humidifier and that the top of the humidifier is closed completely. Then reattach the hose and start the unit back up. If everything is back to normal, chances are something wasn't completely seated properly, and the problem is fixed.

If reassembling the humidifier does not fix the problem, then the next thing I'd try is this: Decouple the humidifier and the blower unit and hook the hose directly up to the blower unit. And turn the machine on. The "steam rising" icon should NOT light up if there is no humidifier attached. So if it does, you know there's problem with the blower unit. While the machine is on, press the ramp button to see the ramp works correctly when the hose is attached directly to the humidifier unit. If the ramp works fine without the humidifier unit attached, you know the problem is with the humidifier and not the blower. If the ramp still won't work correctly, there's a problem with the blower.

If you can't fix the problem by simply reassembling the humidifier unit OR if the ramp button does not work when the hose is attached directly to the blower unit, then it's time to call the DME and report the problem. They'll probably need you to bring the unit in and they may have to send it in for repairs. In that case, the DME should provide you with a loaner PAP until they get yours back.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:46 pm

newhosehead wrote:Wow, it's been a very long time since I've been here. I hope someone can give me some advice. My remstar pro is acting up a bit. There is a light flashing on the left side of the power button (it has an image that looks like steam rising or something like that) and when I push the ramp button it does not knock the flow down as it should. Yes, I still use ramp.

I guess I have had this thing for awhile but getting another one is so impossible right now I would laugh at the idea if it were remotely funny. I have had no relationship with the DME for a LONG time.

Okay! Now that I have shared everything I cannot do, I would really appreciate it if anyone recognizes these 'symptoms' and might give me an idea what I am dealing with. Thanks in advance.

Jean
Hi Jean.

If you're still in the same place, there's a place in Bethany, MO that works on Respironics machines. They're a factory authorized repair shop. Look up the "acbio(dot)com" website. They're also a member of this forum under the user name "Accurate".
If my recollections and research are correct, you're in Macon County and they're in Harrison County.......and you're not too far away from them.

Anyway, I'd give them a call and see what they think may be the problem and whether it's worth fixing......and how much it will cost.

Den

newhosehead

Post by newhosehead » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:30 pm

wow! You folks are priceless.

robysue, you helped a LOT. The light does not come on with the blower unit running on its own, so I guess it is the humidifier. I'm going to work through the steps you mentioned to check with the humidifier and see if that does it. Thank you soooo much.

Den, it is good to hear from you and thanks for the info. I will contact them and see what they think. I'm already feeling better that it may just be the humidifier that I need to fix or try to replace.

Once again, THANKS so much. You really have no idea how much you have helped.

Jean