Q on setting up SoClean with Resmed humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MitzyG

Re: Q on setting up SoClean with Resmed humidifier

Post by MitzyG » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:01 pm

locust - thanks for your input. Dumb question...you put this "SoClean" bedside so that you can stick the mask in without unattaching anything? Or is there an alternate/better solution?

star444

Post by star444 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm

MitzyG wrote:locust - thanks for your input. Dumb question...you put this "SoClean" bedside so that you can stick the mask in without unattaching anything? Or is there an alternate/better solution?
It must be placed relatively close to the CPAP machine since they will be connected together. A thin black tube will extend from the SoClean into the humidifier. And, yes, the mask and hose get placed into the SoClean box without unattaching anything. The activated oxygen then flows through the thin black tube into the humidifier, then on up through the CPAP tube, finally exiting out through the mask inside the locked SoClean chamber.

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5

locust78

Post by locust78 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:18 am

I took a small piece of plywood and attached it to the back of my nightstand with a couple "L" brackets. This kind of extended my nightstand toward the rear. This is where I put both my CPAP and my SoClean. I did this so I could have a little more usable room on my nightstand.

The SoClean should be close enough to your CPAP so that your mask (while still attached to your hose) can be dropped into it. That said, it doesn't have to be right next to it. It can be as far away from your CPAP as your hose can reach. Like star444 wrote, you don't want to undo your mask. You want to keep it all together so that the cleaning agent from the SoClean can circulate from your humidifier, through your hose, and finally out of your mask (which is locked inside the SoClean).

Delta4

Post by Delta4 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 am

Star444: Do you put your Sleepweaver mask in the SoClean? I haven't been putting mine in it because SoClean recommends not putting nylon masks in it because the nylon will deteriorate faster. I've been undoing the mask and putting its fittings on the hose to clean in the SoClean and then I hand wash the cloth mask as usual. (My cloth mask is the reason why I kept hesitating on buying the SoClean. I would have bought it right away had I used a silicone mask.)

FYI to anyone considering the SoClean: it is fine for almost all masks, but I happen to use a unique cloth mask which contains nylon.

MitzyG

Post by MitzyG » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks...that area of my room is getting very tight so I'll have to think about this or move CPAP somewhere else. HMMMM

pbriggs

Post by pbriggs » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:36 pm

okay - so overall I found this very interesting...

I use ozone in my hot tub to reduce the amount of chemicals that I use in the water. Never have I given any thought to effects of ozone on me.... http://www.epa.gov/apti/ozonehealth/population.html

sure makes me want to do more research on ozone levels that various devices produce

star444

Post by star444 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Delta4 wrote:Star444: Do you put your Sleepweaver mask in the SoClean? I haven't been putting mine in it because SoClean recommends not putting nylon masks in it because the nylon will deteriorate faster. I've been undoing the mask and putting its fittings on the hose to clean in the SoClean and then I hand wash the cloth mask as usual. (My cloth mask is the reason why I kept hesitating on buying the SoClean. I would have bought it right away had I used a silicone mask.)

FYI to anyone considering the SoClean: it is fine for almost all masks, but I happen to use a unique cloth mask which contains nylon.
When I used the Wisp nasal mask, and the Quattro FX full face mask, I would put them in the SoClean every day. I've only put the SleepWeaver mask in the SoClean twice. I hand wash it (I hadn't even considered taking it apart. I may start doing that.)

To be perfectly honest, my biggest concerns are making sure the humidifier and tube get sanitized every day. Those damp, enclosed surfaces are more likely to be breeding grounds for bacteria and germs.

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5

star444

Post by star444 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:39 pm

pbriggs wrote:okay - so overall I found this very interesting...

I use ozone in my hot tub to reduce the amount of chemicals that I use in the water. Never have I given any thought to effects of ozone on me.... http://www.epa.gov/apti/ozonehealth/population.html

sure makes me want to do more research on ozone levels that various devices produce
According to information found on their website, the ozone is kept within the closed loop of your CPAP equipment and the secure chamber of the SoClean device. Their instructions advise to leave the device closed for at least 2 hours after the cleaning cycle completes. Apparently it reverts back to into the oxygen we breathe after 2 hours.

If you let the sanitizer run and then immediately open the lid and let all the ozone escape into your room, that would probably be bad. Especially if done repeatedly. So... don't do that!
SoClean FAQs wrote:Activated oxygen is formed when a third atom of oxygen (O) is added to the molecular oxygen we breathe (O2) forming a new molecule (O3). This new molecule of activated oxygen (also known as ozone) has the amazing ability to destroy organisms such as bacteria and viruses through oxidation. While activated oxygen is very powerful, it also has a very short life cycle. After it’s generated, it reverts back into the oxygen we breathe in about 2 hours.

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5

locust78

Post by locust78 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:24 am

I was particularly concerned about ozone because of the respiratory issues I've had in the past and also because I have a small parrot that has a very delicate respiratory system. Ozone exposure would be a problem for the both of us. The people at SoClean have assured me that the level of ozone released into the outside environment is basically undetectable. The real ozone remains in the machine where it sanitizes and then is converted into normal oxygen by passing through a special filter. So far (after 2 years), I haven't noticed any adverse effects from the SoClean and my bird is as annoyingly vocal as ever.

star444

Post by star444 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 pm

locust78 wrote:I was particularly concerned about ozone because of the respiratory issues I've had in the past and also because I have a small parrot that has a very delicate respiratory system. Ozone exposure would be a problem for the both of us. The people at SoClean have assured me that the level of ozone released into the outside environment is basically undetectable. The real ozone remains in the machine where it sanitizes and then is converted into normal oxygen by passing through a special filter. So far (after 2 years), I haven't noticed any adverse effects from the SoClean and my bird is as annoyingly vocal as ever.
Birds are extremely sensitive to gases and such in the air. That is why, long ago, miners used to take a canary with them into the coal mine. If the canary died... it was time to get out!

The fact that your bird is doing well after 2 years using the SoClean is a very good sign.

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5

Delta4

Post by Delta4 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:46 pm

star444 wrote:Birds are extremely sensitive to gases and such in the air. That is why, long ago, miners used to take a canary with them into the coal mine. If the canary died... it was time to get out!

The fact that your bird is doing well after 2 years using the SoClean is a very good sign.
I also thought of the "canary and the coal mine" when I read about her bird. That's quite a testimonial to SoClean.

I set up my SoClean2 on Sunday. I started using it at the preset 7 minutes but was bothered by the residual smell in the hose. Following the directions on their website, I lowered it and found 5 minutes works best for me. I really like the SoClean2 so far. I'll appreciate it more once I get to skip the weekly hose cleaning process.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:43 am

star444 wrote:According to their website: "The SoClean uses activated oxygen to eliminate any mold, bacteria, and viruses it comes in contact with. It uses a completely natural and safe means to sanitize. No chemicals are used!"
"Activated oxygen" is "ozone," which is a very nasty chemical.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Delta4

Post by Delta4 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 pm

archangle wrote:
star444 wrote:According to their website: "The SoClean uses activated oxygen to eliminate any mold, bacteria, and viruses it comes in contact with. It uses a completely natural and safe means to sanitize. No chemicals are used!"
"Activated oxygen" is "ozone," which is a very nasty chemical.
I'm pretty sure that when SoClean says "no chemicals are used", they mean the user doesn't need to buy or interact with any chemicals such as liquids, gels, etc.

MitzyG

Post by MitzyG » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi...any update on SoClean? Is it a good thing after a few wks?

Delta4

Post by Delta4 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:25 pm

MitzyG wrote:Hi...any update on SoClean? Is it a good thing after a few wks?
I've been using it for a few weeks and I LOVE IT!!! After the first 10 days, I knew I'd keep it.

I read a lot about it in advance, but still had a hard time making a decision. (It sounded too good to be true.) I finally decided to try it and return it if I didn't like it. This ended up being a product that I actually had to set up and use to understand and appreciate it.

By the way, I bought the SoClean2. They still sell the original version. (I usually like to get the latest and greatest of everything.)