Homemade chin strap - SUCCESS!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NateS

Re: Homemade chin strap - SUCCESS!

Post by NateS » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:11 pm

kaiasgram wrote:OK, Nate, where's the photo?

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

Apneanderthal

Post by Apneanderthal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:18 pm

Yeah Nate, where's the photo? And the real question: does the headband mess up your beard? Wouldn't want you to lose that cherished 1st place trophy in the World Beard and Moustache Championships just because of a little CPAP action.

Seriously though, glad you're finding something that works. I've now designed out versions 2.0 and 3.0 of my chinstrap and am having better luck than ever. Very comfy. And my sewing ability has markedly increased. One gent on this board (who I shall not name) had me make and send him two of my chinstraps and I think so far he's having good luck, though it is still early as it's been less than a week.

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Apneanderthal wrote:Yeah Nate, where's the photo? And the real question: does the headband mess up your beard? Wouldn't want you to lose that cherished 1st place trophy in the World Beard and Moustache Championships just because of a little CPAP action.

Seriously though, glad you're finding something that works. I've now designed out versions 2.0 and 3.0 of my chinstrap and am having better luck than ever. Very comfy. And my sewing ability has markedly increased. One gent on this board (who I shall not name) had me make and send him two of my chinstraps and I think so far he's having good luck, though it is still early as it's been less than a week.
Well, my avatar is an exaggeration but I do have a light beard and a regular mustache, but I don't think it qualifies for any awards. I had to keep the beard closely trimmed or it would itch under the Ruby, but the microfiber of the headband is much softer than the Ruby and seems more tolerant.

If my present experiment does not turn out to be a long-lasting solution, I may become interested in purchasing a custom "apneanderthallian solution" from you if you continue your R&D and go into production! Sounds promising! Very impressive!

Best wishes, Nate

Apneanderthal

Post by Apneanderthal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:57 pm

"Apneanderthallian Solution"

You've just named my next homebrew recipe. This just smacks of IPA. Forget production of chinstraps, I'm opening a brewery with a name like that! Copyright Nate! And it will be a hit here in Colorado.

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:46 pm

Apneanderthal wrote:"Apneanderthallian Solution"

You've just named my next homebrew recipe. This just smacks of IPA. Forget production of chinstraps, I'm opening a brewery with a name like that! Copyright Nate! And it will be a hit here in Colorado.
I can hear it now: "Yeah, and I'll have a beer with that chinstrap! And make it a tall one!"

Nate

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:26 am

NateS wrote:Well, my avatar is an exaggeration
Oh I am so disillusioned.

ApneAlto

Post by ApneAlto » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Wow! I am going to try to sew one of these homemade delights today, and also like the band from Amazon. I've been on CPAP/nasal pillows for a whopping three nights and the tendency to let my mouth fall open is disrupting my sleep so much that I am at the point of tears. If I have enough mental wherewithal to thread a sewing machine needle, I will whip up a plaid-- or maybe Hello Kitty--- strap before sundown. Now I know why I never got rid of my horde of fabric and elastic!!! Thanks!! And thanks for the pattern and the video!

princessbelle

`

Post by princessbelle » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:00 am

`
Last edited by princessbelle on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:16 am

I think the dimensions he used were unique to him, and you might need to measure your head,
face, etc., and go from there.
I made my own chin-up strips, because I already knew "one size" never fits me.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Apneanderthal wrote:I called all the models I know, but then I realized I don't know any models. So I just grabbed this guy off the nearby street corner to model for me. Just try to contain yourselves, this plaid is to the opposite sex like catnip is to cats. Or gorillas.

Very cool. I'm kinda down on stretchy chinstraps so this looks promising. Sex appeal too... what could be more fun! Kissing with it on could be a problem tho

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

NateS

Post by NateS » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:57 am

Apneanderthal wrote:I called all the models I know, but then I realized I don't know any models. So I just grabbed this guy off the nearby street corner to model for me. Just try to contain yourselves, this plaid is to the opposite sex like catnip is to cats. Or gorillas.

Just wondered how this is working out for you, or if you have made any improvements on it in that last couple years.

Also, I am now playing around with the Ultimate Chinstrap and wonder how your pattern is different from theirs?

Thanks, Nate