Homemade chin strap - SUCCESS!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kaiasgram

Re: Homemade chin strap - SUCCESS!

Post by kaiasgram » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Apneanderthal wrote: In the meantime, perhaps this will help:
Perfect! You're a dear, thanks again for the instructions and photos.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Apneanderthal wrote:Like I said, I plan to make another, and so perhaps I'll take photos or even do a video of the creation process. It's actually really simple. There are only two pieces necessary. In the meantime, perhaps this will help:
Thanks for the instructions. When I have recovered from this cold that has come back to bite me after I thought it was over, I will have to think about how I could use this with a TapPap. I am currently using the first version, but still getting some strange leaks that probably occur when I move during the night. Only thing is, some of them take 1/2 hour or more to settle down, so I am not sure it is just mouth leaks ... All part of the wonderful world of discovery that is CPAP!

NateS

Post by NateS » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Apneanderthal wrote:I called all the models I know, but then I realized I don't know any models. So I just grabbed this guy off the nearby street corner to model for me. Just try to contain yourselves, this plaid is to the opposite sex like catnip is to cats. Or gorillas.

This is exactly what I think I need!

Can you elaborate more on that patch on the front?

Thanks, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

Apneanderthal

Post by Apneanderthal » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Nate, that "patch" is how the front chin "cup" is attached. It's a section of material that curves under my chin and goes about an inch back. This keeps the front strap from creeping up into my nose and interfering with the nasal piles. When the material is curved back, the two side tabs are folded up onto the main strap and sewn down.

Maybe I should make a short video clip to show how things work. Might help clear up a lot of questions.

Apneanderthal

Post by Apneanderthal » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Ok, hopefully this posts ok from my phone. Here's a quick video I made to better demonstrate the chin strap. Hope it helps.

Click the photo below to see the video.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:38 pm

The video worked for me -- thanks so much for taking the time to demo the chinstrap. Between the video and the pattern you posted earlier I think I can give this a shot. Taping has worked very well for me, but if I could switch to a chinstrap that actually works I'd be a happy camper. Thanks again.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Oh heart be still. I just love a man that isn't afraid of a sewing machine. Can you cook too? Seriously I love that you shared your chin strap. I will be making one of these too.

Apneanderthal

Post by Apneanderthal » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:06 am

I love to cook! I also enjoy long sunset walks on the beach, hours of listening, giving massages...

Oh, oops, wrong forum

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:37 pm

Apneanderthal wrote:I love to cook! I also enjoy long sunset walks on the beach, hours of listening, giving massages...

Oh, oops, wrong forum
If my husband had even tried to make a chin strap he would have used a jockstrap and duct tape.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:02 pm

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:30 pm

Stormynights wrote: If my husband had even tried to make a chin strap he would have used a jockstrap and duct tape.
But at least that elastic might last longer than some people indicate for "regular" elastic? Something about resistance to body oils/washing?

I use a Ruby red "elastic" chinstrap, but I am having problems with leaks. I am thinking of cutting up an old strap to add to the one I am currently using to make straps above and below the mouth so that I can use my TapPap as well. The material is very elastic and seems to last a long time. OTOH, even with the leaks that I am so concerned about, I slept 11 hours last night. With a cold (there were 4 sessions). My AHI across that time was 0,72, so why am I worried?!! But then I get concerned by a single drip from a faucet/tap, so maybe it's something about the word "leak"?!!

DreamBig

Post by DreamBig » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks so much for the video! (and the pattern)

I guess your chinstrap version is what I need to try now since my strap connected to a ball cap didn't work too well for me.

Forgot to ask...I don't think I'm going to like the strap over my ears so I may try to change that somehow.

NateS

Post by NateS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:29 pm

SleepyToo2 wrote:…I use a Ruby red "elastic" chinstrap, but I am having problems with leaks. I am thinking of cutting up an old strap to add to the one I am currently using to make straps above and below the mouth…
You and apneanderthal gave me a lazyman's idea, short of learning how to use a sewing machine.

Since I already have a Ruby chinstrap which provides good strapping over my head and down the sides, but insufficient leverage to keep my mouth shut, I looked through various wide-band and velcro-adjustable headbands on Amazon and this one made of microfiber seemed relatively inexpensive and worth a try:

http://amzn.com/B0017H86MY

So now that I've got it, I used the velcro to wrap it horizontally from front to back around my head, starting just under my nose, then I put the Ruby chinstrap over it to hold it firmly in place, then I slipped on my Wisp. The bottom of the Wisp air cushion rests on the top of the headband, but makes as good a seal when inflated as it did against my own skin and mustache, and voila! for the last three nights I have had the lowest leak rates on my chart I have ever had - way below the ResScan red line.

I think it works on the same principal as apneanderthal's great handmade invention, without his creativity and style, but it seems to be working. It seems to keep my mouth shut much better than the Ruby alone, and the Ruby keeps it from slipping down so it stays in place. It's sort of like taping without tape, and instead of looking helpless like the taped victim of a bank robbery, I look more like the bank robber!

Just another idea.

Best wishes, Nate

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:32 am

Another great night with that microfiber headband over my mouth, held in place by the Ruby. Very low leaks and no more dry mouth!

Nate

Thanks again apneanderthal and SleepyToo2 for your ideas!

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:38 pm

OK, Nate, where's the photo?