General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
charpentierlady

Post by charpentierlady » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:09 pm

I am 29 and recently diagnosed with mild OSA. I have 8.5 episodes an hour and my oxygen level goes down to 86%. I just had my second sleep study done, this one with CPAP titration. The mask wasnt so hard...im just not looking forward to having to wear it at home.
Diagnosed 10-10-13
8.5 apneas
Oxygen 86%

quietmorning

Re: Newbie

Post by quietmorning » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Welcome! You'll find that you'll get so used to it that you'll forget that you have it on. I don't even feel it when I sleep, I just know I can breathe. My grandson woke me up one night and I forgot it was on, and didn't feel it, and turned fast and my machine went flying! thank goodness they build these things to take a little bit of abuse here and there!

Oxygen is such a precious commodity for your brain - what are some of the things that irk you about wearing it at home? Maybe some of us who've been there and done that can help you to put your brain around it and see that it really isn't a big deal.

Hoping for the best for you!

echo

Post by echo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Welcome to the board.

I was 30 when I was first diagnosed and treated. 6 years later, and I can't imagine sleeping without it. Like quietmorning, sometimes I forget I even have it on and cause all sorts of accidents.

While it may take some time to get your setup adjusted just right, know that you are doing your brain, your heart, and the rest of you body a great favor by starting therapy.

You've made a great first step by coming here and getting informed.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Congratulations. You have caught this early, before it has a chance to do further harm to you and your family.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:41 pm

charpentierlady wrote:I am 29 and recently diagnosed with mild OSA. I have 8.5 episodes an hour and my oxygen level goes down to 86%. I just had my second sleep study done, this one with CPAP titration. The mask wasnt so hard...im just not looking forward to having to wear it at home.
It takes time, but you will get used to wearing a mask. What sort of mask do you have, a full face, nasal or pillow type? There are products out there that make wearing a mask much more comfortable. Welcome to the forum.

charpentierlady

Post by charpentierlady » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:49 pm

All i know is that it only goes over my nose. And i havent gotten my machine for home yet. Im still waiting. I feel like thats just something else to add to the list of things wrong with me. Grr!!
Diagnosed 10-10-13
8.5 apneas
Oxygen 86%

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Not going wrong - that happened a long time ago - but finally going right!

charpentierlady

Post by charpentierlady » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Yeah...i guess so. I have PCOS, Hypothyroidism, Migraines, and now sleep apnea. My OB/GYN said she is concerned about my blood pressure too...the list just keeos growing! Im overweight and my husband and I want tontry for a baby but it feels like all this stuff is keeping us from doing so.
Diagnosed 10-10-13
8.5 apneas
Oxygen 86%

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 pm

charpentierlady wrote:Yeah...i guess so. I have PCOS, Hypothyroidism, Migraines, and now sleep apnea. My OB/GYN said she is concerned about my blood pressure too...the list just keeos growing! Im overweight and my husband and I want tontry for a baby but it feels like all this stuff is keeping us from doing so.
You will probably find that the migraines and the blood pressure are probably symptoms of the apnea and will resolve with diet and exercise. When I start having migraines again, or my bp starts climbing again, I call my sleep doc FIRST, now - to see if my pressure is correct. Craving sugar, and fatigue are other obvious symptoms. . .so actually, you may have just found a huge portion of what is actually wrong and will find that some of the things that have been an issue (achy constant pain is another symptom) begin to fade away.

Hypothyroidism is another chronic disease (something that can cause a myriad of different issues) that has an easy fix - one pill a day, every day. They are cheap and easy to come by. Both issues effect your weight - in my case, the hypothyroidism caused my heart to stop several times. Good thing to catch - a common issue, especially with women, but very easy to fix.

Weight gain, as I said, is caused by both issues. . .the thing is, though, that if you don't get treatment for the apnea, you will not be able to lose the weight as your body is in too much stress at night and you won't process fats and sugars correctly until you are out of that stress.

So, this is a VERY good thing - you are on your way to being HEALTHY. . . and stronger and better than you probably have been in a very long time. Something to look forward to.

Something WONDERFUL to look forward to. . .and your husband will get to know a better well rested YOU!

echo

Post by echo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:36 pm

charpentierlady wrote:Yeah...i guess so. I have PCOS, Hypothyroidism, Migraines, and now sleep apnea. My OB/GYN said she is concerned about my blood pressure too...the list just keeos growing! Im overweight and my husband and I want tontry for a baby but it feels like all this stuff is keeping us from doing so.
Welcome to my world! Add a circadian rhythm sleep disorder to that list and you've got me.

In my case, migraines were directly linked to hypothyroidism. Going on natural dessicated thyroid fixed it. Visit Stop the Thyroid Madness (STTM - see my signature). If you're overweight it sounds like you might still be hypothyroid, despite what your doc tells you. Especially if you want to have a baby, you gotta make sure your thyroid levels are good (and most docs do not know what good levels really are - they are about as useless with thyroid issues as sleep docs are with following up CPAP users). The simple "one pill a day" of synthetic T4 is not always the right fix for everybody (I suffered undiagnosed for many years and then a few more after starting on T4. STTM saved my life).

There does seem to be some correlations with hypothyroidism and sleep apnea too, so you're not alone!

In any case, CPAP will help you feel MUCH better!! It may seem like a pain now, but when you're waking up every morning fully rested, it will feel like a small price to pay for good health.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep

charpentierlady

Post by charpentierlady » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:07 am

How am i able to access the website from my computer. Right now im just using my cell phone and i would like to see signatures and the such.

And yes, i am hypothyroid. The last TSH i had done was 1.1 and my endo said that was great. It took us a year to get to thay level so we plan on staying there. As far as I know I dont have heart problems but it does run in my family and so does diabetes and high blood pressure. Right now my bottom number is starting to get elevated. Also with the PCOS there is a relation with sleep apnea. So me bein overweight with the PCOS and the sleep apnea is a stinkin double whammy!! Ugh! Im ready for my machine. Tuesday will be 2 weeks since Ive had my titration...Im ready to sleep good and not be so dang tired and I want to be able to lose weight. (100 lbs) I need energy!
Diagnosed 10-10-13
8.5 apneas
Oxygen 86%

Tgladden86

Post by Tgladden86 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:07 am

charpentierlady wrote:How am i able to access the website from my computer. Right now im just using my cell phone and i would like to see signatures and the such.

And yes, i am hypothyroid. The last TSH i had done was 1.1 and my endo said that was great. It took us a year to get to thay level so we plan on staying there. As far as I know I dont have heart problems but it does run in my family and so does diabetes and high blood pressure. Right now my bottom number is starting to get elevated. Also with the PCOS there is a relation with sleep apnea. So me bein overweight with the PCOS and the sleep apnea is a stinkin double whammy!! Ugh! Im ready for my machine. Tuesday will be 2 weeks since Ive had my titration...Im ready to sleep good and not be so dang tired and I want to be able to lose weight. (100 lbs) I need energy!
since I have been using my only for about 2 weeks maybe 3 weeks I have felt better by getting a fuller sleep. I am still not used to wearing headgear but I am glad that I got the test done.

wm_hess

Post by wm_hess » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:29 am

Post by charpentierlady on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:07 am
How am i able to access the website from my computer. Right now im just using my cell phone and i would like to see signatures and the such.
Hi welcome to the club! Believe it or not you will feel better! I cannot help with your medical issues, but I do use Tapatalk 4.

When you're reading a thread, the top of the screen has the menu button (3 dots above each other). Touch that, and web view is the 4th item down. Click that, and you get a web view of the page.

If you touch a post, the post turns blue. Click the menu button and you can send the author a message, or view their profile among other things. If you view their profile, you can also view their signature line. You can also open up the thread in your browser just like you can in the above paragraph.

Tapatalk is VERY nice when I'm not at home and I recommend it to any Android user.

-Bill

echo

Post by echo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:46 am

Here is the link in my sig:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
wm_hess wrote:If you view their profile, you can also view their signature line.
I recently started using Tapatalk too, love it. But when I go to my profile, most of my signature is not visible (same for other profiles), and there's no way to expand the content.
PR System One APAP, 10cm

purple

Post by purple » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:21 am

Hi,

I like this description of what you face now.

http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/what-y ... me-part-i/

BTW. Unlike some on this forum, I have never had a big bad issue with a DME, and they have all been great to me. Likewise, I have only have great sleep docs, Gotta figure accidents happen.

The one true words of using a machine. Never move a machine with water in it. I use a hose hanger to prevent me from accidentally rolling over and pulling it off the table. Does not have to be fancy, Just tie one part of the hose to something solid, so when one pulls on the hose, it does pull on the machine.

EDIT: And I am envious, I wish I had a Sleep Apnea machine when I was 29. Would have changed my life. Would have had better jobs, more money, maybe even more honey.
Last edited by purple on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.