Blue-blocking glasses (and other Seth Roberts experiments)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Drowsy Dancer

Re: Blue-blocking glasses (and other Seth Roberts experiments)

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sat May 03, 2014 7:08 pm

There's an "Ember" setting on my install of f.lux.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat May 03, 2014 8:47 pm

I wonder if I have an older version, or maybe the Mac version is different -- "Candle" is the maximum filtering, in Preferences "Candle" is 2600K.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sat May 03, 2014 8:57 pm

kaiasgram wrote:I wonder if I have an older version, or maybe the Mac version is different -- "Candle" is the maximum filtering, in Preferences "Candle" is 2600K.
I am using release 3.10 for Windows. Candle is 1900K (Ember is 1200).

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat May 03, 2014 10:49 pm

RogerSC wrote:Well, there is "Ember", but all the blue may already be gone by then. I was looking for a diagram showing how much of each color is filtered at each level, haven't found it yet.
Interesting question Roger. This is from the f.lux website (what are Kelvins?):

Mac/iOS presets in Kelvin

Candle: 2300K
Tungsten: 2700K
Halogen: 3400K
Fluorescent: 4200K
Daylight: 5000K

PC presets in Kelvin

Ember: 1200K
Candle: 1900K
Warm Incandescent: 2300K
Incandescent: 2700K
Daylight: 5500K

I boo-boo'd earlier, Candle on my Mac (version 21.0) is 2300K not 2600.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun May 04, 2014 1:11 am

kaiasgram wrote:
RogerSC wrote:Well, there is "Ember", but all the blue may already be gone by then. I was looking for a diagram showing how much of each color is filtered at each level, haven't found it yet.
Interesting question Roger. This is from the f.lux website (what are Kelvins?):

PC presets in Kelvin

Ember: 1200K
Candle: 1900K
Warm Incandescent: 2300K
Incandescent: 2700K
Daylight: 5500K

I boo-boo'd earlier, Candle on my Mac (version 21.0) is 2300K not 2600.
Now that I think about it, I should be able to figure this out from the temps, that's just physics *smile*.

Again, thanks for sharing this, off to check it out before bed.

Edit: Whoa, weird, man. This just might put me to sleep before I can make it to bed *smile*. And this is just Incandescent. Also just found https://www.lowbluelights.com/detail.asp?id=103

echo

Post by echo » Sun May 04, 2014 6:56 pm

library lady wrote:@Echo: you say these glasses are working for you? What kind of schedule do you use for wearing them?
I use the Dewalt Red laser enhancement glasses 4 to 5 hours before sleep, anywhere from 2 to 6 hours may be needed. Lately i've been experimenting with even more light restriction (keeping room lights very very dim) and find that it helps even more (still while wearing the blue blocking glasses).

Other options for glasses listed here:
http://www.circadiansleepdisorders.org/ ... p#lightres

On my android phone I use "Twilight" to reduce screen brightness, as well as "Screen Filter" (by Haxor) when I need even more dimming.

For a PC or laptop screen, you can make a custom blue-blocking using red theater gels, e.g. from Roscolux.

I top this all off with either plenty of direct sun exposure, or a lightbox, for 1-2 hours immediately after waking up. (See same link above, just scroll up on the page. I use the Philips GoLite as it's very portable).
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

echo

Post by echo » Sun May 04, 2014 7:06 pm

fmj13 wrote:
echo wrote:Yup, I'm using blue blocking glasses every night to help reset my circadian rhythm. It really, really helps. See this link for the various blue-blocking glasses available, and some references:

http://www.circadiansleepdisorders.org/ ... #blueblock
Any particular recommendations? These vary widely in price.
The Dragons & Coccoons are quite popular on the niteowl mailing list I frequent.

I use the Dewalt red laser enhancement glasses (approx $12 on amazon) but they didn't make it on the list, probably because the specs aren't available (i.e. we don't know what the transmittivity/optical density is for specific wavelengths. But IMO i can't see *any* blue or green with them on so i think they are decent at blocking the blue spectrum).

Anything that blocks up to 480 nm (perhaps up to the low 500s as 480nm is the *peak* of the frequency response of ipRGCs, and not the full range) should be fine. The NoIRs, for example, are not really that different from the Dragons in terms of lens specs except that they are made by a medical company and come with an extra piece of plastic that blocks out light coming in from the edges - plus they have a greater variety of frames. So it's a bit of a personal choice at some point.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep

echo

Post by echo » Sun May 04, 2014 7:18 pm

I like, and use, Flux on my laptop, but it's not enough for my DSPS. I need the blue-blocking glasses or red filters on my screen especially when I'm using it late at night. Still, I find flux soothing in the winter, when it starts dimming early and I haven't put on my blue blocking glasses yet.
PR System One APAP, 10cm

Fishinthesea

Post by Fishinthesea » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:59 am

I installed F.lux on my computer and also got a pair of T'aime blue light blocking glasses. I don't know which one works better for my eyes, but I know that if I use neither of them, my eyes can't bear the burden from the computer screens. As reported, F.lux won’t completely eliminate how much blue light the computer monitor emits, it can really do help change the color temperature of your screen after the sun sets in your location. So, maybe the glasses WIN.

One more tip: you can't install F.lux on your iphone without jailbroken, but you can change the settings to reduce blue light.
Navigate to Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Accessibility Shortcut -> Invert Colors. Now, whenever you triple-tap your home button, the colors on your device will invert.