Admin Edit: Manufacturer Posing as CPAPtalkers,Locked Thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PanzerMax

Re: New Z1 cpap machine. Smallest, lightest, and battery too

Post by PanzerMax » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 pm

[quote="stickman"]cpap.com posted pricing info. Kind of premium $ but if you want the smallest, most portable, with a battery it makes sense. Especially if you travel, camp, etc... I think they will sell a bunch of these.

$595? Sign me up. I've had my ResMed S7 for nearly ten years, I'm ready for an upgrade.

stickman

Post by stickman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Ordered on today. I'll let you know how it goes but not having an external battery could be huge for me. Fingers crossed.
Not a fan of cpap. Just want to wake up tomorrow morning.

levman

Post by levman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:31 pm

hyperlexis wrote:The videos look good and the price isn't all that horrible. I wonder how you clean the HME? Soap?
I don't think you clean it, I think you replace it. From what I've read elsewhere (regarding the Transcend travel CPAP, which is my road machine) HMEs only last a limited amount of time (a week or so?) before the material they are treated with wears out.

The Transcend HME only works with certain nasal masks, and I use nasal pillows. I'm thinking about trying the Z1's HME with my Transcend, the Z1 HME is a generic design that should work with any mask, it just snaps on to the end of the hose.

Actually, I'm half tempted to replace my Transcend with the Z1, it looks like it may address some of the Transcend's shortcomings. And I think my Transcend's battery might work with the Z1 too. I'll be interested to see some user reviews of the Z1.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:46 pm

--Note: Transcend now has an auto.
The marketplace is getting busy.
Competition>>>priceless!

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:47 pm

I wonder if SleepyHead will be able to read the data from this machine??

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:38 pm

stickman wrote:Ordered on today. I'll let you know how it goes but not having an external battery could be huge for me. Fingers crossed.

I'd really be interested in your review when you have had a chance to test it out.......I am using a standard straight cpap Transcend for travel, but it does look like this machine has a few features that make it interesting......the exhale relief and the HME that I can use with my full-face mask, and it is rated as a few decibels quieter.....my Transcend is pretty loud.

Be sure and let us know what you think of it

-John

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

DVG_98dc

Post by DVG_98dc » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Wow! If this is even "hinting" at something I can possibly consider hauling out on a backpack trip, I'll pay *W*H*A*T*E*V*E*R* is costs!

I'm a die-hard, hard-core, year-in, year-out backpacker who, just this last year, didn't do too well when I tried the "Provent" stuff ... man, those things are lighter n'air .. tiny, and easy to pack, but they were not very effective (And I've tried getting used to them in the past)

(years prior to that, I was simply not needing the CPAP yet)

I've been dreaming of some kind of contraption that is:
A: portable; and
B: can run on some battery.

Never mind about "recharging" .. I'll figure something out; I usually backpack with a small solar charger (one of those fold-up thins) .. not saying there's any instant compatibility yet, but worth looking into.

I'll check out the link - Thanks!

johnnygoodman

Post by johnnygoodman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:17 am

Howdy All,

Stickman's IP and registered email address matches those associated with HDM, the company that produces the Z1.

Manufacturers are most welcome on CPAPtalk. They should make themselves identifiable with their username or inside the content of each message posted. In cases that this doesn't happen, and as in the past, I will identify the company.

CPAPtalk is about support, help and thinking for yourself. Posts without clear sources make this harder to do, so we insist that sources are clear as posts are made.

Johnny

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:24 am

Thank you for your courage, Johnny. Thank you for everything!

hegel

Post by hegel » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:26 pm

dvg: I'm also and avid backpacker. I too tried Provent and couldn't get it to work. So, agreed, at 19 ounces (with battery) the Z1 is exciting...except for two things. Price; and only one night per battery charge. Be sure to let us know if you find that your solar unit can charge this puppy; that would make a difference. For now, if I had the money, my dream set-up would be:

--arrive at a trailhead at altitude and spend the first night with the Z1;
--carry the Z1 and a second battery pack into the backcountry (and still higher altitude) for night two.

I've found that I'm on my way to becoming acclimated after two nights. (I live at sea level). I'm actually more concerned about oxygen depletion (because of the potential for afib) than anything.

Anyway, I'm lucky because I manage very well for some reason when I'm backpacking without my cpap. I use those plastic nasal gizmos that hold open your nostrils; not very effective but what are you going to do?

I also wish that Provent would put their technology into a regular nasal mask that you could carry. It would stay on at night--unlike their current 'bandages'--and might actually work. But again, at altitude I found it hard to get enough oxygen using Provent. Maybe a Provent nasal mask, or this design, just won't work at elevation.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:50 pm

johnnygoodman wrote:Howdy All,

Stickman's IP and registered email address matches those associated with HDM, the company that produces the Z1.

Manufacturers are most welcome on CPAPtalk. They should make themselves identifiable with their username or inside the content of each message posted. In cases that this doesn't happen, and as in the past, I will identify the company.

CPAPtalk is about support, help and thinking for yourself. Posts without clear sources make this harder to do, so we insist that sources are clear as posts are made.

Johnny
If this is true and the company or some one who works for them is trying to trick us. Then I am not so sure I would want to do business with them

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

howkim

Post by howkim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:42 am

Just ordered one for my power-outage "rescue" machine. However, the manufacturer does not include in the literature sent with the machine instructions for changing the pressure. Hummm. This will be interesting.

I am not a mushroom.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Never mind the machine, I want one of those HME's - will they run with any system?

timothyb

Post by timothyb » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:49 pm

I bought one, which arrived yesterday. I slept with it last night.

Compared to the S9, it "feels" quite a bit louder than 26 dBa. The machine's noise characteristics didn't keep me awake, but it did make it a bit difficult to go to sleep and to go back to sleep when I woke up naturally this morning. I use a Resmed mask (Ultra Mirage II). The machine is a little "strange" from a noise perspective, there's a very distinct whine in both exhalation and inhalation, but it wasn't unbearable by any stretch and it may be due to my mask. When the tube isn't attached the sound isn't there, but my tubing isn't defective.

I don't have any problems with my S9, though, from a noise point of view.

ZBreathe takes a bit of getting used to. I couldn't locate any settings for ZBreathe in the device, though I understand it is customizable? Nothing about the customization seems to be in the manual from a quick glance. The interface does say something about CPAP-1 and CPAP-2, so maybe that is either two distinct users on the same CPAP or a hidden Zbreathe setting - I haven't experimented yet. Changing pressure was relatively easy, it increments in 1/2 cm increments.

I did get some expiratory pressure relief with Zbreathe, but it was fairly minimal compared to the S9 (which I think is a leader in this regard). The machine is stupidly, stupidly small. I can't emphasize just how small it truly is; it is about the size of 4 cell phones stacked together, and this is the reason I bought it. I didn't purchase the PowerShell, so I can't comment on that.

I haven't yet done anything with the SD card or the USB on the device. I think my only real complaint is that the way the tube attaches to the device, with the small adapter, looks as if it will over time be a problem. The tube adapter is a very small plastic part and I can see the potential for it potentially breaking from stress. I pack and repack my CPAP quite a bit (daily travel sometimes) and there is no "release" for the breathing tube, so you basically have to pull it off of your mask or pull it from the CPAP itself. This is probably not going to be a problem in practice.

When the device it arrived I didn't see any rubber feet on it or in the package. You'll want to buy some to keep the device from moving off the table, though I didn't have the experience of it falling or anything. The power port's position on the device has the cable coming out the same side as the tube, which seemed a little ergonomically strange to me.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the device; I wish Zbreathe could be customized I think is my only complaint. I don't/didn't use the HME so can't cover that, either, and I've never had a Transcend so I can't compare. But I have to be quite frank, about my only concern in life right now is to lighten what I carry with me (I try to be a one bag traveler and CPAP has made that hard - my Resmed S9 w/humidifer fits in a Tom Bihn Aeronaut with everything else I carry but it's heavy and bulky). And in that respect, it absolutely fits the bill.

I think a second generation device will absolutely murder the market on small CPAPs. For a first attempt these guys have done a very reasonable job. I'll write more once i've lived with the thing for a few weeks (I am not going to carry my S9 at all on my next few trips and try to live exclusively with the Z1).

EDIT

So the ZBreathe settings were in fact "CPAP-1" and "CPAP-2". I also played with the ramp settings a bit. I'm not sure these settings all work together all that well, so if you're one of those users that depends on ramping, you may want to wait a bit. The "gentle" CPAP-1 ZBreathe mode tended to work poorly with the ramp mode and I never quite got up to my prescribed pressure -- also the "reminder" indicator was on quite a bit which indicates that the Z1 thinks there is a leak. Without the ramp it felt less responsive than I would expect it to be at the beginning of therapy. The "aggressive" CPAP-2 ZBreathe mode was much more successful, but ramping still felt pretty weird and not at all like the S9's ramp, but overall was more comfortable with or without ramping. I didn't use ramping at all last night, but i'm not a sensitive sleeper so it doesn't really affect me all that much, and I don't use ramping on my S9 either, though I do use EPR.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:46 pm

I just asked cpap.com about the HME because I thought I would order one, but they say they are single use, replace after each usage. Kind of hard to understand that at 5.95 a pop.