Mirage Liberty cutting into nostril

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tesseract

Mirage Liberty cutting into nostril

Post by Tesseract » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Over a month ago I switched to the Mirage Liberty hybrid mask. I had a mask with only nasal pillows but was still feeling really tired. The new mask helps with my fatigue but the nasal pillow cuts into the top of my right nostril. I've tried all kinds of skin salves but none of them help. I wake up with the top of my nostril bleeding a little. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? The left nostril is fine. I only have a problem with the pillow in the right nostril. I tend to talk in my sleep so I'm wondering if somehow it's causing the nasal pillow to move in a sawing motion cutting into the nostril. The Mirage Liberty is pretty much the last mask that will work for me. I can't tolerate anything on the bridge of my nose and having only nasal pillows doesn't seem to work.

LinkC

Re: Mirage Liberty cutting into nostril

Post by LinkC » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:56 pm

I'd suggest that its overtight, but you say it's just one side. Have you tried rotating that pillow a bit get a better fit against that nostril?

There's a similar mask that works better for me... the Hybrid. It has a chin cup to insure the mask stays put if you open your mouth. You might take a look at it Not sure that will address your problem, but the pillows may fit better.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:11 pm

Something else you might try is putting a tiny coat of Lansinoh on one or both pillows. It's a salve for nursing mothers. It helps seat and seal the pillow to your nostrils, AND your mask straps don't have to be so tight. In the baby section of Walmart. Purple/lavender tube.

(Note to old timers: See? I CAN talk about Lansinoh without calling it nipple grease! Lol) oops

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Tesseract

Post by Tesseract » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:30 pm

I've tried rotating the pillows to no avail. Maybe I should go back to the nasal pillow only mask and use a chin strap to keep my mouth from staying open when I sleep perhaps?

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Why not spend some quality time going through the mask section at our sponsor. Read about the masks you never heard of and the ones you are sure you won't like. Read the reviews on each. Then use their guide to narrow your selection only after reading the broad view.

You may just find something that works better for you. I know I did and I focused on the weird masks, like SleepWeaver and TapPap.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:19 am

It seems to me your story is similar to mine when I first started out. I eventually ended up with the Respironics Fitlife Total Face mask. Take a look at it in my profile or with our sponsor. it's usually a mask of last resort. I was desperate, and was blessed with being able to adjust to it. I have a good spare available. If you think you may want to try it out... pm me with your address and I will mail it to you.

Sheriff

Tesseract

Post by Tesseract » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:20 pm

I tried out the Fitlife mask at my provider but it didn't seem like it could provide a good seal for me, especially sleeping on my side. If it would work, that mask would seem perfect though. I have the problem of the inability to tolerate anything touching the bridge of my nose which rules out a lot of masks for me.
Sheriff Buford wrote:It seems to me your story is similar to mine when I first started out. I eventually ended up with the Respironics Fitlife Total Face mask.

Tech Guy

Post by Tech Guy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:06 am

I have a Mirage Liberty and love it! Usually keep my mask not so tight. There is no reason for it to be cutting into the nostrils unless you toss and turn a lot. I move a few times a night. Been on cpap about 6 weeks and its a lifesaver! Try some ky jelly and definitely do not use vaseline or petroleom based oils. The pillows should be soft. The first week or so had some soreness and cuts above my upper lip. It's common to have some physical discomfort getting used to the mask. Try not to over tighten. If air is coming out of the nostrils its too loose. if anything hurts it's too tight. Lay flat on your back in bed then adjust the straps. Might try soaking the pillows in some hot water to soften them a bit.
PR System One & Humidifier

Tesseract

Post by Tesseract » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm going to try a small pillow for my left nostril and a large pillow for my right and see how that goes.

RachelM

Post by RachelM » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:29 pm

I also experienced discomfort with a Liberty. I usually use nasal pillows and added the Liberty to my collection for when I have a cold and can't breathe well through nose. To get it to seal, I ended up with sore nostrils. I'm a side sleeper and it seemed like a lot of weight dragging on my face.