Blocked nose woes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ddk

Blocked nose woes

Post by ddk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:49 am

I have this weird thing where often when I go to sleep at night, the very minute I lay down my nose will block up. Rest of the day, even while napping, not a problem. No flu or anything. No remedies work. All the nasal sprays do nothing at all. Most times it dissipates after an hour or so or I can alleviate it by getting up and doing something. But sometimes it just doesn't go away and like right now, causes insomnia. It's not humidity settings, it's not environment, it's not sleep position, it's not pillows, bedding, temperature, anything, I've eliminated just about everything I can think of that would cause it. It's almost as if I have an allergic reaction to sleep.

"Oh, you're about to use CPAP? Right, time to block your nose, fella!"

Sigh.

Misery loves company. Anyone else experience something similar?

robysue

Re: Blocked nose woes

Post by robysue » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:11 am

Is only one nostril getting blocked or are both getting blocked up?

If it's only one, then google nasal cycle.

My guess is that putting the CPAP on is making you become excessively aware of your normal nasal cycle---i.e. the fact that at any particular time during the day or night, most people are breathing through one nostril while the other one is basically resting. And which nostril is "active" switches periodically through the day and night.

If both nostrils are getting blocked, the CPAP may be triggering non-allergic rhinitis.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:16 am

If the problem is that both nostrils get stuffed up as soon as you put on the CPAP mask, you may be dealing with non-allergic rhinitis.

Two sources of information about nasal congestion and CPAP that would be very useful for you to look at are:

Nasal Breathing Video Series from Dr. Barry Krakow's web pages

Unstuff Your Stuffy Nose from Dr. Steven Y. Park's web pages

Both of these talk about non-allergic rhinitis which may be the root cause of your problem since you say you don't have any allergies. And the problem with non-allergic rhinitis is that all the typical treatments for allergic rhinitis tend to make non-allergic rhinitis worse, not better. But there are tips that can help and both Krakow's and Park's web pages offer some things to try.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:47 am

ddk wrote:"Oh, you're about to use CPAP? Right, time to block your nose, fella!"
Sigh.
I do. Solved the problem with the Oracle 2 mask. It also solved the claustrophobia problem that prevented me from using any facial mask at all.
See below.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:27 pm

ddk wrote:I have this weird thing where often when I go to sleep at night, the very minute I lay down my nose will block up. Rest of the day, even while napping, not a problem. No flu or anything. No remedies work. All the nasal sprays do nothing at all. Most times it dissipates after an hour or so or I can alleviate it by getting up and doing something. But sometimes it just doesn't go away and like right now, causes insomnia. It's not humidity settings, it's not environment, it's not sleep position, it's not pillows, bedding, temperature, anything, I've eliminated just about everything I can think of that would cause it. It's almost as if I have an allergic reaction to sleep.

"Oh, you're about to use CPAP? Right, time to block your nose, fella!"

Sigh.

I didn't see where you mentioned whether you're doing nasal cleansing before bedtime.
OR.......what humidity setting you have your machine set to.

Too much warm humidity CAN exacerbate nasal congestion.......and if your nasal passages aren't "clear" before you mask up, you'll likely have problems.

Been there.........got the souvenir T-shirt, cap and coffee cup.

Den

ddk

Post by ddk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:39 pm

The congestion starts as soon as I even contemplate laying down for the night. I usually try and rest a bit in bed, get the heart rate down, regulate my breathing, etc. before I even put the mask on. The congestion is during that time and either settles down or doesn't.

Although it is usually one nostril it's still significant in the other as well. I'd say about 0% in one nostril and 50% in the other. Whereas during the day I can breathe through both at the same time without issue. I can even take naps during the day with, or without, the mask without issue. Again, it's almost as if I'm allergic to the very notion of going to sleep at night.

Honestly, I think it might be pyschosomatic in some way. I just can't figure out a fix.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:51 pm

ddk,

I think you're just noticing your nasal cycle when you start settling down for the night. While you think you are breathing through both nostrils during the day, you probably are breathing through one at a time. And the the active nostril switches every few hours. And one of the times the active nostril is prone to switching is when we're starting to wind down and settle down and get ready for bed ....

Seriously, google the phrase nasal cycle and see if that describes what you are noticing

ddk

Post by ddk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:36 pm

robysue wrote:I think you're just noticing your nasal cycle when you start settling down for the night.
Nope. The "nasal cycle" is a myth. Right now I can breathe through both nostrils just fine.
robysue wrote:Seriously, google the phrase nasal cycle and see if that describes what you are noticing
I have, months ago. And I've spoken to my sleep doctor about it. As I said, I've eliminated almost every cause I can think of. This isn't regular blockage. This is both nostrils suddenly becoming blocked so badly that I can't use my mask.

Humidity on my machine is usually set to around 4 (out of 5). On colder nights I'll put it down to 3. But again, it isn't a factor because I'm not using the mask until well after I've laid down.