Anyone travel with their daily machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jeannh

Anyone travel with their daily machine?

Post by Jeannh » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:58 pm

I travel every other month or so, and am trying to decide if my S9 with its power brick is travel-able (from a convenience standpoint - I know I can pack it up and take it). It worries me to go without the humidifier, because I use a lot of water each night, so it seems scary to go from that to none.

I've looked at the IntelliPap Auto, which though expensive (insurance will never buy me another) seems more travel-able. Can anyone with this machine tell me if you get any data on the screen in the am? I hate to have yet another software package...

Also, any travel advice would be greatly appreciated. Do the TSA folks know what it is? Can it go through the scanner? Does it increase your time getting through security? I know that as a medical device, it doesn't count as a carry-on, and that it needs the appropriate adapter internationally. This is getting to be an expensive sport :).

Thanks, Jean

Julie

Re: Anyone travel with their daily machine?

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi - if you have access to a computer anywhere, and can log onto either Cpap.com or DeVilbiss website, you can get AHI, leaks, pressures, exhale measuremts, and a few more - all without module or software. I just take a code of 10 #'s off the screen in the a.m., enter it into a window on one of those sites, and get my overnight important results... not all the tech stuff, but enough to go with especially if you're relatively consistent, as I am. It's my everyday machine and travel one.
Last edited by Julie on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:17 pm

I traveled with my Resmed S9 Autoset constantly from the day I got it, but never on a plane, always by RV or car.
I always used the humidifier usually with RO water. It can be a large heavy package to add to your other carry on luggage on a plane and I have no idea what TSA would do with it.

Foggy1

Post by Foggy1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:42 pm

TSA knows exactly what the xPAP machines are. Just set it in one of the bins as you would a laptop, and they run it through the scanner. No issue at all.

I carry mine when I travel, although I leave the humidifier behind. I don't use a lot of humidity though.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:53 pm

I leave my daily machine at home. I only travel with my backup machine. It is a S8 Elite. It does the job at straight CPAP while I am away from home a few days,

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Foggy1 wrote:TSA knows exactly what the xPAP machines are. Just set it in one of the bins as you would a laptop, and they run it through the scanner. No issue at all.

I carry mine when I travel, although I leave the humidifier behind. I don't use a lot of humidity though.
That has been my experience as well. TSA doesn't care at all about the machine. The only troubles I've had is United gate agents who have told me I had too many carry-ons. I just replied that no I didn't, that it was a medical device and allowed. They said nothing more and let me pass.

I bought a backup machine for the purposes in traveling, but since it doesn't have the climate line hose, I ran into rainout. Since then I've been carrying my daily machine with no troubles, including the humidifier.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:25 pm

I've traveled many times with my M-series, here and Europe. Planes, trains, ships and even automobiles! Never gave it a second thought.

I look forward to traveling with my new S9, as the case is smaller and lighter. I don't sleep without my APAP, EVER!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Whynotsleep

Post by Whynotsleep » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:32 pm

If you do a search
(Travel) many different threads have covered the needed details.
Regards

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Jeannh wrote:I travel every other month or so, and am trying to decide if my S9 with its power brick is travel-able (from a convenience standpoint - I know I can pack it up and take it). It worries me to go without the humidifier, because I use a lot of water each night, so it seems scary to go from that to none.
Why go without your humidifier?

I got a backpack that holds my laptop, my S8 and all its bits & pieces, a book, food, meds, and my knitting. I wrap the S8 up in a change of underwear & tshirt. And I have a "fanny" pack for my personal stuff.

Now that I have my new apap the S8 is packed and ready to go at all times.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Ugh, you need a medical tag for your PAP bag. Print it, fill in your name and laminate.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3gmFzw ... view?pli=1

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:54 pm

LinkC wrote:Ugh, you need a medical tag for your PAP bag. Print it, fill in your name and laminate.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3gmFzw ... view?pli=1
I haven't needed a medical tag thus far. The TSA has no issue with it, I even saw man ahead of me had a CPAP and they didn't stop him either.

I do carry my prescription with me, or a copy of it at least. That way if there's any problem, I got the prescription to show them. Haven't needed to do that either.

Jeannh

Post by Jeannh » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:28 pm

I'll do the medical tag and the Rx. Nothing worse than being held up in an airport.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm also wondering why you would go without your humidifier. The pack for the S9 is nicely padded and accommodates both the machine and the humidifier, and the accessories. I even put my hose holder in that bag *smile*. Have taken it with me on many trips, both flying and driving, and had no problems with it. I even took my humidifier when I went tent camping, and used it in passive "blow over" mode with an Li-ion battery. Seemed to help even then. It does help to have the heavy-duty humidifier tank that allows you to open and wash it out thoroughly if you're planning on using tap water with it, too.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:38 pm

I am new to PAP treatments but my wife has been using a machine for over 10 yrs. We have carried her machine literally around the world with no problems at all.

TSA is very familiar with the machines. Last month I was pre-cleared through TSA so that I skipped the routine with shoes, laptop, jackets, etc. The only thing that they were asking everyone to do was to remove "breathing" machines from carry-on bags so that it could be run through the scanner separately. After scanning, they said thanks - you can now repack your bags. They did not open my CPAP bag or ask for any further examination.

The one word of advice for travel is to make certain that you also carry an extension cord. It is amazing you far some hotels place the electrical plugs away from the night stands.

needzzzzs

Post by needzzzzs » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:44 pm

I've traveled with my machine by car and plane, including overseas. There hasn't been any problem whatsoever, other than sometimes having to unplug lamps in hotels in order to plug in the machine. I need the humidifier. If traveling by car, I bring my own water. If only away for a night, I'll use bottled water and rinse out the humidifier drawer carefully.

Debbie