OT: when-docs-make-mistakes-should-colleagues-tell

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Todzo

OT: when-docs-make-mistakes-should-colleagues-tell

Post by Todzo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:14 pm

May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

BlackSpinner

Re: OT: when-docs-make-mistakes-should-colleagues-tell

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Personally it should by like mandated reporters of child abuse. If you see it you MUST report it or be charged as well.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

ems

Post by ems » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:12 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:Personally it should by like mandated reporters of child abuse. If you see it you MUST report it or be charged as well.
I agree.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 pm

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/noto ... patel-spot

This is what happens when colleagues don't tell. This 'doctor' got away with it for so many years, it took the courage of a nurse to finally spill the beans

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:05 am

Well it's about time! Last July I had an emergency appendectomy and woke up with a colostomy because the 71 year old surgeon nicked my sigmoid colon. (Appendix is lower right abdomen and sigmoid colon is lower left.) While in the hospital I felt like the staff was trying to tell me things "between the lines". I couldn't decode what they were saying. Just recently I got one of my docs to talk honestly "off the record". This doc told me that the surgeon is no longer on staff at the hospital and that if I file suit the hospital will probably make an offer of a financial settlement. The doc was also very clear that our conversation would be denied if I brought it up in the course of filing suit. Right now I'm facing another major surgery to reverse the colostomy. When that's over I'll take legal action.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:28 am

eeckel wrote:Well it's about time! Last July I had an emergency appendectomy and woke up with a colostomy because the 71 year old surgeon nicked my sigmoid colon. (Appendix is lower right abdomen and sigmoid colon is lower left.) While in the hospital I felt like the staff was trying to tell me things "between the lines". I couldn't decode what they were saying. Just recently I got one of my docs to talk honestly "off the record". This doc told me that the surgeon is no longer on staff at the hospital and that if I file suit the hospital will probably make an offer of a financial settlement. The doc was also very clear that our conversation would be denied if I brought it up in the course of filing suit. Right now I'm facing another major surgery to reverse the colostomy. When that's over I'll take legal action.
Maybe if colleagues would do the right thing and report impaired physicians, malpractice rates would decrease considerably costs would be greatly lowered. Instead, people are accused of seeking easy money by filing suit. In my opinion, the horrific situation that you experienced is alot more common.

By the way, there was a horrific case in my area about a psychiatrist who committed horrendous malpractice and destroyed so many people's lives. And no one would report him even though they saw what was going on out of fear they would be ostracized by other doctors. Can't remember what finally got him banned from medicine but it took a very long time.

49er

SabrinaFaire

Post by SabrinaFaire » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:15 am

A friend's mother died a few years ago after being taken to the ER and basically ignored. She was placed in a curtained off bay, friend's dad wasn't allowed in, and she was forgotten about. They didn't even hook her up to monitors, so when she had a second heart attack, the staff didn't realize and by the time the husband was able to get in, she was already gone. Then the doctors tried to cover it up, saying that she hadn't been left alone that long, and only to retrieve the monitor machines. One of the nurses has admitted to falsifying the records because she was told to by the doctor. The problem is also there with nurses who have to decide if they want to risk losing their job or admit that something like that happened and possibly lose their license. Lawsuit is still pending.

woodworkerjunkie

Post by woodworkerjunkie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:01 am

eeckel wrote:Well it's about time! Last July I had an emergency appendectomy and woke up with a colostomy because the 71 year old surgeon nicked my sigmoid colon. (Appendix is lower right abdomen and sigmoid colon is lower left.) While in the hospital I felt like the staff was trying to tell me things "between the lines". I couldn't decode what they were saying. Just recently I got one of my docs to talk honestly "off the record". This doc told me that the surgeon is no longer on staff at the hospital and that if I file suit the hospital will probably make an offer of a financial settlement. The doc was also very clear that our conversation would be denied if I brought it up in the course of filing suit. Right now I'm facing another major surgery to reverse the colostomy. When that's over I'll take legal action.
Be sure and check with your state, some states have restrictions on how long you can wait to file a lawsuit. If you go past that time frame, your out of luck. Plus, your lawyers will need time to investigate and prepare for the case.

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:02 am

woodworkerjunkie wrote:
Be sure and check with your state, some states have restrictions on how long you can wait to file a lawsuit. If you go past that time frame, your out of luck. Plus, your lawyers will need time to investigate and prepare for the case.
Here in Pennsylvania the statute of limitations is two years. That should be enough time. The reversal surgery is in two weeks.